• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I know that in the upcoming GOP primary there are 3 pro-gun choices, and there is anti-gun RINO Dan Coats.

Dan Coats has the backing of the US GOP leadership and apparently is also supported by the IN GOP leadership. But in a very recent poll, commissioned by the liberal Daily Kos website, it appears that HOSTETTLER is the the best choice for Indiana to reclaim the Senate seat that was abandoned by Evan Bayh.

Daily Kos: State of the Nation
    Brad Ellsworth (D) 36
    Dan Coats (R) 37

Brad Ellsworth (D) 34
    John Hostettler (R) 40
    Look at the above numbers, they are based on a 4% margin of error. Brad Ellsworth is apparently running UNCONTESTED for the bid to be the Democrat running for the US Senate now that Baron Hill dropped out of the race. So its a DEAD HEAT between Dan Coats and Brad Ellsworth and neither of these two is a real pro-gun candidate. Ellsworth is probably the better of the two on gun issues but don't count on him being our friend. And we know that Dan Coats is NOT a friend of gun owners.

So then take a look at the match up between John Hostettler and Brad Ellsworth, even with a 4% margin of error, Hostettler comes out the winner. And Hostettler is an honest to goodness great friend and pro-gun advocate.

Here are some additional numbers to consider:

Ellsworth (D) +17
    Fav: 41
    Unfav: 24
    No Opinion: 35

Hostettler (R) +12
    Fav: 43
    Unfav: 31
    No Opinion: 26

Coats (R) +4
    Fav: 40
    Unfav: 36
    No Opinion: 24​
    Obviously Coats does not have a very favorable rating among voters, that shows that he may be very weak in a campaign, but both Hostettler and Ellsworth are viewed pretty favorably by voters with the edge going toward Ellsworth. That means that Hostettler may be significantly better at taking on Ellsworth in the general election than Dan Coats.

Remember, Ellsworth voted YES to ObamaCare and is being pressured to vote YES again as Obama is pushing for a straight up/down vote within the next 14 days.

I know there are 2 other pro-gun candidates in the race on the GOP ticket, but neither are ranked high enough in the polls to even make the radar. I'm just being practical. We need to get behind Hostettler.

Indiana Feller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    I saw him in the debate in Warsaw today. He is terrible! He is very arrogant and part of the system/problem already. He is not the only choice - don't sell us short Stutzman will make a fine canidate. Don't panic yet.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I saw him in the debate in Warsaw today. He is terrible! He is very arrogant and part of the system/problem already. He is not the only choice - don't sell us short Stutzman will make a fine canidate. Don't panic yet.

Why? What did he say that you didn't like? John is forthright and truthful, but lots of voters like to be lied to and take truth as an insult. Those voters are the problem. Dan Coats will make you feel warm and fuzzy and whisper sweet nothings in your ear, right before he screws you.

IrishSon of Liberty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I saw him in the debate in Warsaw today. He is terrible! He is very arrogant and part of the system/problem already. He is not the only choice -

:yesway: :+1:

I couldn't agree more. I posted my sentiments about Mr. Hostettler after his speech to the Silent No More group about a month ago. I think T-Rav coined it best when he said: "He's a walking resume." He comes across as extremely arrogant, and every answer given always starts with how he voted on some bill back in the 90's as he spent his six terms in DC.

I will not be voting for Hostettler.

Indiana Feller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    First John's attitude grates on me. He has little respect for the Tea party values. (Read the legislation, state specifics about what you will do.) John wants to beat his chest about the past, not the future. For me he came across as a very weak candidate. I know Coats is worse, but I do not see Hostettler as a serous candidate for long. It was great to see the 5 candidates together! Go watch them and you will see. I was ready to support Behney until I saw his juvenile and excessive attacks on Coats. Behney embarrassed me today. Stutzman was firm in his answers and he has the answers I am looking for. He is a strong 2nd amendment supporter, he want to reduce the size of the fed and give states back their rites. Eliminate the department of education. Reduce regulations on businesses so people can create jobs.

Last edited:

IrishSon of Liberty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I was ready to support Behney until I saw his juvenile and excessive attacks on Coats. Behney embarrassed me today.

I'll agree with this statement, but only to a point. I liked his opening remarks, and I didn't mind the direct shots during the debate. However, his closing statement was over the top. I'm just hoping that it was a prepared statement, and in hind sight, he should have scrapped it and just spoken off the cuff. I'm not ready to write him off just yet. In his defense, I was unimpressed with the fact that not a single question was asked regarding the 2nd Amendment, and that is an important issue to Hoosiers. Based upon that, and the level of exposure today, I know that Behney was trying to make his point about where they differed; it just came across poorly.

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    I'll agree with this statement, but only to a point. I liked his opening remarks, and I didn't mind the direct shots during the debate. However, his closing statement was over the top. I'm just hoping that it was a prepared statement, and in hind sight, he should have scrapped it and just spoken off the cuff. I'm not ready to write him off just yet. In his defense, I was unimpressed with the fact that not a single question was asked regarding the 2nd Amendment, and that is an important issue to Hoosiers. Based upon that, and the level of exposure today, I know that Behney was trying to make his point about where they differed; it just came across poorly.

Well yes Irish already quoted me on what I had to say, I dont care what the man did in the past he did not give any examples of how to fix the problems we have. As for the shots Behney took I though it was great. You need to be called out when you screw over someone or PEOPLE. I was there to support Marlin whole heartedly but I left also interested in Behney, I told Behney that but I couldnt find Stutzman to chat with him. All in all I think we need people that wont bite their tongue and hold back.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    ...snip...

I know there are 2 other pro-gun candidates in the race on the GOP ticket, but neither are ranked high enough in the polls to even make the radar. I'm just being practical. We need to get behind Hostettler.

I respectfully disagree with this. BIG TIME! See the rest of the comments that people have made. To Hades with the polls. Pick the right person. Licking our finger, sticking it in the air, and going the way that the wind blows has gotten us the present Congress... how's THAT working out for us??

Contested primaries are a good thing. Let's find candidates that can speak their minds. Let's hear what's in their hearts, not their teleprompter. The polls will sort themselves out soon enough.

Indiana Feller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Well yes Irish already quoted me on what I had to say, I dont care what the man did in the past he did not give any examples of how to fix the problems we have. As for the shots Behney took I though it was great. You need to be called out when you screw over someone or PEOPLE. I was there to support Marlin whole heartedly but I left also interested in Behney, I told Behney that but I couldnt find Stutzman to chat with him. All in all I think we need people that wont bite their tongue and hold back.

I agree that Coats needs to be called out. He never defended himself which suggests to me he knows. Behney's closing remarks are what closed the door for me.

THe differences between Behney and Stutzman that helped me decide. 1. I don't think Behney has the grit to go to DC and not get his lunch eaten - his immature behavior supported that today.

Stutzman has some experience at the state level. He knows how things work and can get things done ie lifetime permits.

Behney could not name an entitlement program - "all of them" well fine but be more specific. That answer was weak at best.

Stutzman gave a more specific answer and supported it with when we cut spending everything is on the table.

Stutzman wants to be a Senator. Behney is just pissed off, he doesn't want to be a Senator. That remark stood out to me. If he is mad now what will he be when he is in the beast? Our system is messed up like it or not change will not be instant.

I like that Stutzman is a farmer, there is something about being close to the land, it humbles you and helps you understand God and his role in this world.

There are a few of the differences I see.

thecanuck

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    It's definitely a tough one... I sure hope either Hostettler or Stutzman beats Coats... That's all I really care about right now. Either would have a far better chance to beat Ellsworth... however, if Ellsworth walks the plank and votes for the Health Care kamikaze mission it will make things ALOT easier!

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    First John's attitude grates on me. He has little respect for the Tea party values. (Read the legislation, state specifics about what you will do.)

Right, because he told you the truth. If anyone says they will read all the legislation that person is a liar. It's just not physically doable. You don't want the truth, fine, vote in the smoothest, slickest liar, that's what got us here today. Ever hear of a guy named Obama.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Stutzman has almost zero name recognition.
    Behney has almost zero name recognition.

There's ideology and then there's pragmatism.
    Hostettler is virtually unknown in the northern end of the State, but there's only one major population center above Indy - Fort Wayne. He's well known in the other two population centers, those being Indy and Evansville, and he's fairly well-liked in both. (Yes, yes I do write off Bloomington - Hippie-Liberal Commune-ville isn't likely to usher in anyone with an 'R' behind his name.) I'm not saying that people who don't live any of those places are unimportant - I'm saying they don't have the sheer numbers or the mass media markets of dense population centers. Nor do they have good propaganda machines in the less dense spots of our great State. Mobilization and indoctrination - the explanation that this is NOT the America these people wanted and you have a candidate who will counter-act this :bs: is VITAL in coming across to the average Joe and Jane and convincing them to participate and VOTE in this system. Period. Without some serious campaigning in the more dense areas, you're dead in the water. If you can pick up extra votes in the hinterlands, that's even better. But you need to secure your base before you start chasing down the elusive Independent vote.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    The fact that the republican establishment is backing a person like Coats should tell us that the party is dead.

Top Bottom