Why Not Avoid Large Crowds When Possible?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    After thinking about it, melensdad's statement seems to make the most sense when it comes to frequency of violence. And he's right, the most frequent violent crimes and murders happen in low-income, minority areas. Take Chicago for example. No rich white guy would ever be caught dead walking around the South side around 121st and area. Okay, he'd be caught dead, just not walking. School shootings were frequent in Urban schools in places like Compton and such. It didn't hit "mainstream media" until Colombine. The obvious reason is it happened in an upscale, suburban, predomenatly white school. Then the People were outraged. But it happened in a place where that sort of thing NEVER happened.

Besides the episode where the cop was killed on 38th Street by the gunman with the AK, you NEVER hear of someone blazing a full-auto mowing down everyone in sight in Indianapolis. Let alone a Colts game. But whos to say it won't happen? With the chance of a Nationwide terrorist assault at it's highest levels why take the chance? No we can't live in fear, but we have to determine if the risk is worth the reward. Do you really need to take your family of 20 to the Colts game, spending 5000 dollars, and take the chance? Or is it just better to find someone with a Big screen and a big backyard and have a cook out?

hkhoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Can you give us an example of a mass school shooting along the lines of Columbine that happened in Compton.

School shootings were frequent in Urban schools in places like Compton and such. It didn't hit "mainstream media" until Colombine. The obvious reason is it happened in an upscale, suburban, predomenatly white school. Then the People were outraged. But it happened in a place where that sort of thing NEVER happened.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I can't, I'm just saying a kid brings a gun to school and shoots someone in a "gang territory" school, you won't hear much about it in the news. Especially pre-Colombine. I didn't mean to single out a certain city or what not, just stating that a gang shooting in a school didn't matter to the media or to suburban mid-westerners for that matter. No one REALLY cared until it "hit home". I spent alot of time with some questionable characters a few years back and I heard alot of horror stories that would appaul anyone on here. And not just school shootings either. melensdad's map he found shows a pattern across America's "Great Cities" that most American's, and especially the media, would rather turn their cheeks and act like it didn't happen. That kinda stuff just pisses me off is all.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Some people believe that crowds somehow make them safe from some kinds of violence. They should go to Memphis or study some of the case studies that Tom Givens presents when he gives a lecture about such things. It's not happening much in Indiana yet, but there are places (like Memphis) where violent attacks are common among crowds like in the parking lots of shopping malls. Too many people fail to maintain their alertness just because "there are too many people here for anyone to try anything," so it eventually becomes a ripe picking patch for predators.

Other bad things can happen that are greatly worsened by crowds that have absolutely nothing to do with the predatory acts of other humans. The big circus tent fire back in the 1930s is a prime example. A lot of people got killed when the panic ensued, although a few were saved by a plucky kid who happened to have a pocket knife, cut a slit in the wall of the tent, and made an extra exit.

Anything that scares people enough to panic is potentially deadly once you get more than a couple of hundred of them together in a (relatively) confined space.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    As far as school shootings, I'm pretty sure all the schools in the high crime areas of Los Angeles use metal detectors and have a high security presence. You could probably argue that you would have a smaller chance of a shooting or violent attach on these campuses.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    As far as school shootings, I'm pretty sure all the schools in the high crime areas of Los Angeles use metal detectors and have a high security presence. You could probably argue that you would have a smaller chance of a shooting or violent attach on these campuses.

But not so much pre-Colombine.

Gryphon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Terre Haute, IN
    I don't mingle with noisy, smelly, rude, obnoxious, aggressive, self-centered crowds of sheeple... And this includes never standing in a long line just to buy some grub to shove down my neck. Good grief, do most people possess the simple minds of herd animals, or what?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I don't mingle with noisy, smelly, rude, obnoxious, aggressive, self-centered crowds of sheeple... And this includes never standing in a long line just to buy some grub to shove down my neck. Good grief, do most people possess the simple minds of herd animals, or what?
    :lmfao:

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    rhino,

If you're arguing that risk is amplified in crowds, I agree. However, if there were an activity that I really wanted to attend, I would probably not let the large numbers stop me.

Example: At the drop zone I used to skydive, there was a big plaque with four names of skydivers who had died in that drop zone. I fully understood the risks of skydiving, but my desire for doing so overrode my fear.

While I am very aware of potential risks in our environment, I don't always let them determine my choices in life.

cougar_guy04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Lookin' for Galt's Gulch
    I avoid crowds like the plague, not because I am concerned about my personal safety but I just don't like people in general. There are exceptions to this, like shooting a match or one of our "choir" meetings.
    Same here. Graduation and the receptions held by the school this weekend were the largest events I'd been at in awhile. Even though I knew a lot of the folks there, I still boogied out very quickly. I just don't do crowds very well.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I don't like most people. This is fact. People, by nature, are selfish and rude. I can be polite and kind to most people until they give me a reason not to.

I used to like being in crowds. Iraq changed that. I'm VERY leery around large crowds and am on constant watch. It's very hard for me to relax in large crowds. I hate movie theaters. I sit with my back to a wall a resturaunts. I have less patience with people as a whole.

So no... Crowds are not for me.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    I don't like most people either and stay away from large crowds if I can. Heck I've even decided not to go to a couple concerts because there were too many people. I'm just antisocial!

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I loath crowds of people. Even the mall, and Wal-Mart trigger those feelings.

which sucks because Pami really likes places like "The Zoo" which are always jam packed with people.

Before moving to Indianapolis, I went to "Summer Fest" in Milwaukee. Honestly I've never been more miserable in my entire life. Clausterphobia and mild case of Anthropophobia made for a terrible day.

The sunburn I got, on top of my car being broken into were the icing on the cake.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    My wife also likes to attend events/things with large crowds. I've never liked large crowds. I think it comes from growing up in Southern California. There are millions of people everywhere!

Top Bottom