• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    1- Because I cannot own an M16 without selling my soul to ATF. This is about the truth unfortunately. I hate having to fill out a form asking permission for me to take MY rifle out of state to the machine gun shoot or a course.
    2- The news media has heart failure over me owning one.
    Who cares what the news media says? You should see them squirm when rounds are coming at them,it was funny,lol.
    3- Because they are just so much fun to play with!
    Yes sir they are! Mine eat too much and need to go on a diet.

Not necessarily in that order. :D

Okay, now you're makin' me jealous...I gotta go get that tax stamp paperwork filled out!:D
    DO IT ,Do it!:ar15:

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    :+1: Agreed. They're a blast to shoot, look sexy, and for those who like to add all the bells and whistles it's like a adult lego set. Plus they drop coyotes real nice. ;)

^^^This. I love that I can swap a few parts and have a completely different gun. Need a close quarter weapon? Pop 2 pins, drop on a 10.5" upper and your good to go (assuming a NFA registered lower of course). Need something farther out? Pop 2 pins put on a 20" upper and bam, your hitting tagets waaay down range. Want something unique to you? Buy a wrench and a vise and with a little reading you can build one customized down to the detent pins. And since most parts only fit in one way its pretty much idiot proof.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Because I can't financially justify spending 1k+$ for another rifle when I already have an AK, a SKS, multiple .22's and shotguns in addition to my handguns.....

But... that doesn't mean I won't be getting one when we get the last of this debt polished off!

Dtruck260

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Roanoke, Indiana
    Besides range time, pest control, scaring a potential intruder with EBR, Above all,

when there is a bump in the night

Its the one

I feel the most comfortable with, (clearing jams, changing mags, or using it as a big old stick)

the one I dont have to think about where my hands are

the one that leaves me to think about what might be there, and what I can do about it,

instead of other questions, that I dont want to be thinking about at that time, like (in my case if I had a pistol)

can I hit it?,

can I intimidate it,

how fast can I figure out what is wrong with it (if It fails,) and can I fix it

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Just one of many reasons: My confidence level for a "bump in the night" with an AR rather than a pistol is the difference between nothing and a pistol. I've learned to be a fair shot with a pistol, and I've worked on speed, and feel fairly confident. But with an AR, everything increases - speed, accuracy, stopping power. Hey, if I have to use my pistol, fine. But I KNOW I'm going to win a gunfight in my house with my AR.

Elfboy26

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 18, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I can't speak for why someone else should own one, but I know why I do.

1.) I enjoy target shooting with them at the range.
    2.) I've been trained extensively on how to use one.
    3.) I've gone through some of the best and worst moments of my life with my trusted M16 by my side, and I feel naked without one in my house.
    4.) Because my government needs to know that there's only so much BS I'm will to put up with before I go find my old set of dog tags and put on my oath keepers hat and head out for patrols.
    5.) Because I'm going to need to few to hand out to my recruits regarding #4.
    6.) Because I have a very cute little 2.5 year old girl who is daddies little girl and some day some little grinning SOB is going to show up on my door picking her up for a date and I'll be needing something to clean while the boy is watching. This is one of the reasons why I think I need to get a spikes 37mm flare launcher for my 20" ar. Just because it's scary.
    7.) What else can you mount a "flare" launcher to that looks cool and functions as well?

Mine aren't for home defense. My 870 fits that job because we live in the city. If we move out to the country that may have to change.

:+1:for number 6!

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Q: Why own an AR15?
    A: Because those G'damn Zombies aren't going to kill themselves (duh).

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I have asked myself that very question a dozen times, and as long as I own my SKS, I can't think of a single reason to own an AR-15

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The 20 inch A-2 platform was the only legal 5.56 service rifle for CMP competition that had the features to be truely competitive. You can buy a Buchmaster DCM or some of the other enhanced models right out of the box and expect to win matches if you have winning skills. It is far more economical to shoot, it is not difficult to maintain, they are cheap to buy (in compairison to an M1a Supermatch) and very gentle recoiling. As my eyes age, I miss the long sight radius of the M1, but the llittle mouse gun still will record very good scores on National Match course shooting. As far as my SHTF rifle, my go-to rifle is still 7.62.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I can't speak for why someone else should own one, but I know why I do.

6.) Because I have a very cute little 2.5 year old girl who is daddies little girl and some day some little grinning SOB is going to show up on my door picking her up for a date and I'll be needing something to clean while the boy is watching. This is one of the reasons why I think I need to get a spikes 37mm flare launcher for my 20" ar. Just because it's scary.

:+1:
    I have 2, a four year old and a 7 year old....

hrmmm, now I need to build an AR15, damn! :D

crap, someone get him, I'm out!

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Ok, fair enough. :D

But what about a "normal" person. When I say normal, I mean someone who's not into guns like we are.
    Someone who just wants enough guns to protect their family and home.

For that person, it'll be a pistol and a shotgun. At least starting out. But, again, WHY should that same person own an AR?

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    A normal person only interested in those two purposes does not need an AR.

A shotgun he practices with will get the job done.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

But what about a "normal" person. When I say normal, I mean someone who's not into guns like we are.

For that person, it'll be a pistol and a shotgun. At least starting out. But, again, WHY should that same person own an AR?

Are you asking why an AR over something else or why own one in general.

If you want to know why a non gun type of person buys one it's probably because they are something they can have in their hands that looks cool and they can show their friends. Maybe they regret never being in the service and become a wanna be. In either case I love finding those rifles for sale a year later when the cool factor wears off for a few hundred less than new with a low round count.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    Im the 1 out of the 10 that has a AR next to the bed and one in the truck. Pistols are good for making your way to a rifle.

I keep preacing that in all the SHTF forums. I have a .357 S&W within arms reach and a Mini-14 10 feet away. Why o why do they always grab pistols in movies when in danger from the rack next to the carbines. A pistol is good for making your way to a rifle!

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana

1. You can build one yourself by watching a few videos with minimal specialty tools.
    2. After you have built one, you now can repair most things that can break.
    3. You get the choice of 5, 10, 20, 30, 60, or a 100 chances to hit your target.
    4. Spare parts are easy to find.
    5. Its an American thing, if you have to ask you just don't understand.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010

How can he learn marksmanship with a pistol and a shotgun? Yes he can learn to shoot a pistol. Yes he can learn to shoot a shotgun. However, it would be very difficult to learn how to shoot a rifle. For home defense, I keep a .223 with 30 rounds, not a shotgun, but I live in a more rural area than most.

Gibson90

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Some interesting and some funny posts on here. I have been toying with getting one but can't decide which one to get as there are soooooo many to choose from.

Top Bottom