• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dodgetech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    West Lafayett, IN
    Okay well I guess im new to this and trying to figure out why people reload and what the advatages are. I am thinking about getting into reloading just for fun and hopfully some money savings but I dont really see that it is any cheaper to reload then to just go buy ammo for the calibers that I use which is .223, .22, .40, and .45acp. maybe im not really looking at the right stuff but just about what is the cost of reloading lets say .45acp and what advatages would I have except for the fact of having better quality and more constant loads then what I get off the shelf. Just wondering here because I kinda want to know what im gettin into before spending the money on equiptment to reload

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    It is cheaper IF you buy your bullets, powder and primers in large lots (by the case). The best reason is accuracy and reliability. Every gun has a couple of loads it will shoot better than any others and with reloading once you find that load you can manufacture all you want of it. Taking your time and checking and rechecking every step of the reloading process will assure you quality control and much higher reliability than any factory made ammo will ever give you. I only carry my own reloads for self defense after seeing rounds from companies like Winchester and Remington with primers inserted backwards or cases with no primer hole in them. In the last 10 years the quality control of the U.S. ammo companies has gone down dramatically. I wouldn't trust my life to the junk some of these factories are producing now. If you just get a basic single stage reloading press (like a RockChucker) you will be able to make extremely high quality ammo for many years. I've been loading on a RockChucker since 1988. Don't get sucked into buying a progressive press until you have loaded for a while on a single stage. I have seen way too many guys get into trouble on progressives because they just wanted to produce huge volumes fast. It's VERY easy to miss something on a 4 or 5 stage progressive that can result in loading one round with no powder. A squib load like that will drive the bullet about an inch into the barrel and then the next live round will blow the gun. I have seen guys do this. Get some books on reloading and read up and talk to everyone you can find and pick their brains before you buy anything. Reloading is a fun rewarding hobby but you can't get into a hurry.

Last edited:

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    341   0   1
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Actually, its cheaper any way you slice it, buying in bulk, or in small lots. For instance, if you're loading 45 ACP:

100 primers = $4.00 ($10 for 250 primers)
    1lb powder - Titegroup = $18.00 (loads more than 1600 rounds) ($3.00 for 250 charges)
    Berry's plated Bullets = $38 / 250 bullets
    Brass = Free from all the factory ammo you already have

So with those figures, it costs $51 to reload 250 rounds of 45 ACP. Going to Dick's Sporting Goods and buying 250 rounds of Remington 45 ACP, 230gn RN ammo would cost you $160.45 after tax ($29.99 a box times 5).

These are numbers for loading in small quantity. When you purchase components in bulk, your savings can be even greater. After you initial investment for equipment, the savings will pay off your press very quickly.

And that's just pistol ammo. If you shoot high powered rifle (assuming you're loading for anything other than .223 and 7.62x39 in which you can buy cheap steel cased ammo) then you're savings are really, really substantial. You can load match .308 for less than $0.20 cents a round if you have the brass.

And +1 for Drail - all his points are correct. Take the time to learn the craft properly. For your own safety - and the safety of people around you at the range - fully understand what you're doing before you jump in.

Last edited:

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Don't do it!!! You'll spend thousands and thousands and spend all your time in your basement or walking around ranges picking up brass like some homeless hobo looking for spare change. Run now, if you keep asking questions they will suck you in like they did me! Run.....

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    the thing is if you buy new brass you will probably load the first time and get alot better ammo, but you wont save much that first time. the second time the brass is free, so you save alot.

or you can figure your brass is good for ? loadings and split the price of brass through out the loadings

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    Why reload?? Ammo is cheaper if you reload. Don't think I actually save money though I just shoot more. You can tune your loads to your gun. You can get more power if you reload if you want it and are careful working your way up to it. For example if you have a 44mag and don't reload you will never get the true potential out of the caliber. The main reason for me is I enjoy it. It adds another aspect to my shooting hobby. On most days or nights when I can't be out shooting you will find me down at my reloading bench loading up rounds. I'm always trying to wring a little more accuracy out of my rifle. As stated in a previous post start out with a good single stage press. The RCBS Rockchucker is one of the best. The Redding Boss is also a good press. I started out with a Redding Boss in 1987 still load with it. I also have a RCBS Rockchucker that I have been loading for years with. Very happy with both presses. Lot of good books out there to start with, ABCs of Reloading is a good one. Alot of good info here on INGO, read the sticky on reloading to start with.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...reload_but_you_don_t_know_where_to_begin.html.
    If you can find someone willing to help you, take them up on it.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    It's worth reloading. I've only reloaded .223, didn't blow myself up. So I did something right:D

I've NO idea what I'm doing yet, but I'm having fun doing it ;)

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I'll second what Aszerigan said above.

I've used the calculator at
    Handloading Cost Calculator

And with normal 9mm loads (think I used 115gr cast), using the once fired brass I've purchased, I'm a little under $6/50, lowest price I've seen around here goes $10/50, I've seem a couple remanufactured sellers online that get down around $7/50, but you still have shipping costs (and buying components you still have sales tax normally as well.)

Another thing is the same reason I build my own computers, building my own AR, etc.
    I can select EACH component I want, to load/build/assemble excactly to my specs.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    341   0   1
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    when i started reloading i bought components for the guns i had. now i buy guns just to reload for them

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I couldn't have said it better myself. I find brass and reload it, even though I don't have guns chambered in that caliber.

We are... disturbed.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    For example if you have a 44mag and don't reload you will never get the true potential out of the caliber. The main reason for me is I enjoy it. It adds another aspect to my shooting hobby. .

Two very good reasons to reload on top the usual saving money per round and better quality...

Besides .44 mag, I would also add 10mm, .357 Sig, and .45LC are a few others I feel I can get much more out of if I reload.

Other than shooting, reloading would probably be the next thing I enjoy. Especially this time of year when my shooting dwindles down due to weather.

lf19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Better accuracy, low cost, GREAT hobby. You really have to run the numbers to figure out how much you need to shoot to recoup your startup costs. But in the end, its great to go to your reloading room and Hide.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Don't do it!!! You'll spend thousands and thousands and spend all your time in your basement or walking around ranges picking up brass like some homeless hobo looking for spare change. Run now, if you keep asking questions they will suck you in like they did me! Run.....

:+1:

And then to make it worse, someone will tell you about casting your own bullets, which will lead you to start frequenting all sorts of fly by night tire shops, begging for wheel weights.

dodgetech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    West Lafayett, IN
    Hummmmm. It is starting to sound even a little more interesting I have a trip to cabelas planned for tomarow anyways so maybe look around at some stuff and see what the start up cost would be. And thanks for the replies and info. Plan on reading up and maybe asking for some more advice in the near future

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I can load Speer Gold Dots for about the same price as WWB costs. That enables me to practice with my carry ammo every single time I go to the range. Every. Single. Time. For trigger time, I can load cheaper FMJ rounds and save about 25%. Its not a huge savings, but it adds up. Sometimes when I find a good deal, its even less.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Wait until some of ya'll start casting your own boolits.

Shooting centerfire is then about as inexpensive as shooting .22LR.

Josh

dodgetech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    West Lafayett, IN
    Wait until some of ya'll start casting your own boolits.

Shooting centerfire is then about as inexpensive as shooting .22LR.

Josh

Really I like the sounds of that I mostly only shoot my .22's anymore because of the cost I mean I hate going out back and wasting $100 plus on ammo I mean I shoot about one or two days a week and it gets really expensive but I enjoy it the cost is kinda high tho.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I haven't saved one dime reloading...
    but I shoot a lot more:)

I can't imagine what the cost would have been If all the ammo I went through last year would have been factory.
    I'm certain that I would be in the doghouse:)

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    I don't really "save" any money, I just have "more" money to spend on ammo! A second bonus, my wife sees me busy prepping brass and leaves me alone!!!!! The second I sit down to watch a hunting show, badabing, DON.....WILL YOU!!!!!!!

Sign up for a reloading class, (Check out Aszerigan +1) get some componets, and start loading. I recomend starting small and working up, but, YMMV.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Really I like the sounds of that I mostly only shoot my .22's anymore because of the cost I mean I hate going out back and wasting $100 plus on ammo I mean I shoot about one or two days a week and it gets really expensive but I enjoy it the cost is kinda high tho.

Hello,

Let me see if I can't calculate this out for you.

This last batch of lead I got for $0.50/lb. Granted, that's cheap anymore, but you can still find it.

So... 230grn ≈ 3% of 1lb ≈ 1.5 cents

4.8gn charge of ACC#2 ≈ 1.4 cents

One Federal LPP ≈ 3.5 cents

So we're looking at 6.4 cents to 7 cents apiece, not including lube, which can be something as simple as beeswax in the lube groove.

Never really sat down and did this before. Looks like I'm doing 100 rounds of .45acp for around $7 max.

Divide by 1.5 for 9mm and by 2 for .380 (I reload neither of these). Revolver calibers will be more, but they take both more powder and usually heavier bullets.

At any rate, $7/100 is just a bit cheaper than a box of 100 CCI Mini-Mags.

Josh

Top Bottom