• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I got my Northwest trade gun at about 85% done. I am now doing the finish work of the stock, then some minor metal coloring and done. I ruined my first try at a build but I learned a whole lot. Got the parts for an Isaac Haines sitting on deck waiting to start that build, after that I might try an early Dickert.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Why? Aint hard to learn off side shooting.

True that...When a small explosion goes off in front of your face it really doesn't seem to matter which side it goes off in front of.....:):

I will tell you this...Shooting flintlocks makes one a better shot with their other weapons...I don't know why but it does...You show me a guy or gal that can shoot a flintlock accurately and I will show you someone that can shoot everything accurately...

flnt38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    it teaches you to be a better shot because you have to follow through with your sight picture to hit anything with a flintlock. watch the sights and not the flash of the lock and you will not be affected. or that is what I had to concentrate on when I first started.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    True that...When a small explosion goes off in front of your face it really doesn't seem to matter which side it goes off in front of.....:):
    I will tell you this...Shooting flintlocks makes one a better shot with their other weapons...I don't know why but it does...You show me a guy or gal that can shoot a flintlock accurately and I will show you someone that can shoot everything accurately...

it teaches you to be a better shot because you have to follow through with your sight picture to hit anything with a flintlock. watch the sights and not the flash of the lock and you will not be affected. or that is what I had to concentrate on when I first started.

Nothing more fun than watching someone shooting trap with a Brown Bess :bow:

PULL !!

Click
    :coffee:
    Flash
    BOOM

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    A properly made flintlock has very little delay, if any. Many shooters also over prime.

True, but put a flint lock and a modern smokeless powder shotty side by side on a trap range, and the perception of time is exaggerated because of the delay, although slight, between the obvious sound of the clack when the hammer falls, the pan flash, a ever so slight delay, then the sound of the main charge going off.

flnt38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Cerberus is right. I had one not made right and it was very slow. with the lock placed correctly, and with both mine a white lighting vent liner they go off as soon as the trigger is pulled.

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    :+1: on the fast lock time of a properly made flintlock.

I had a .32 caliber hand built one years ago that would fire upside down.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The gun shop on 30 west of Breezewood had about a dozen new and used flintlocks on display when I stopped in yesterday. I can bring one back for you Thursday if you promise to reimburse me.

Let me know make/model and caliber. Prices ranged in the 400 to 600 spread.

(Breezewood, PA)

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I'm trying to get into blackpowder and have also been watching for flintlocks--not much luck so far. I hope to find one soon

Cabelas usually has a couple you can order, or go to their store in Louisville. If you want one that actually looks like something that was commonly made during the rocklock era you will have to go custom or build it yourself.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Why? Aint hard to learn off side shooting.

Man, when you're 20/200 and in that eye, yep it is.

I'm right-eye dominant, left handed, and have trained myself to use the left eye to shoot. Glasses I wear for the right eye blur the sights too badly.

Thanks though!

Josh

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Man, when you're 20/200 and in that eye, yep it is.

I'm right-eye dominant, left handed, and have trained myself to use the left eye to shoot. Glasses I wear for the right eye blur the sights too badly.

Thanks though!

Josh

Josh, been dealing with horrible vision all my 45 years. I take my cheaters off and I cant tell you how many fingers I am holding up at arms length

Top Bottom