• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    I hear alot of good things about them but there SOOOO many for sale in the used sections of stores and online. Why is that?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Simple, first there were a lot of them made.

Second, lots of people found out that tiny guns are unpleasant to shoot.

Third, others have realized that bigger guns are better and, with a good carry rig, can be easily carried.

So the supply of these guns is huge. Many of us have them as back-up pistols and use them as a BUG. Some folks use them as primary carry pistols. And people who bought them thinking that a small gun would be easy to shoot have woken up after shooting them and decided to sell them to buy a larger/heavier gun with a real grip and similar recoil but easier to handle and firing a bigger/heavier bullet.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Same reason there was a glut of Shields and a glut of XDS pistols right after they were 'the hot new thing'.

Marketing 101:
    1) Get buzz going about how awesome your product is
    2) Make your product exclusive or limited in availability
    3) Watch people snatch up your product when they see it because this is their big chance and they may not see another for awhile.

Then they realize they really didn't need and/or want the product. Hence they put them up for sale.

The LCR really is a great gun, and is very pleasant to shoot with reasonable loads.

PaulJF

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    Linden
    I have the LCR in 38 Special. It is not fun or pleasant to shoot. That being said, I don't think I will be ridding myself of it anytime soon. It is not a range gun. I shoot it enough to be proficient with it. It drops in my pocket easily and goes everywhere with me. Sometimes by itself, sometimes in a backup role. It is great for quick trips to the store or when I just don't want to strap on something bigger.
    It fits my lifestyle, may not be so for everyone that bought one.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Because there are smaller, more powerful options available on the market now.

noisy-cricket.jpg

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I have an LCR .357 and it is in the "how did I ever live without this thing" category. I will never sell it, I have it in my pocket right now.

NO it isn't fun to shoot with full power .357. But it is doable. With .38 specials it really isn't all that bad.

meegz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2013
    Delaware County
    I personally thought the triggers were all exceptionally gritty on the LCR's I played with. I had thought they were supposed to have a great trigger for a compact revolver...I did not like them at all :(

BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    My brother has one and likes it. He's accurate with it but I could barely hit a paper plate with it at 10-15 yards. It being so small wasn't the best, but the worst part to me was the fat grip. It didn't feel good in my hands at all.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    I've had two and the current one is for sale again. For me, I don't have the funds to have all the guns I want so I have to make compromises. As far as snubbies go, I believe the LCR sets the standard - of course, both of mine have been the 357 models, which I specifically sought out due to wider ammo choices and the strength of the steel frame used in the 357 model (around the cylinder and crane area, the grip frame/fire control housing is still polymer), and its slightly increased weight helps tame recoil.

Mine's for sale only due to the fact that I have limited funds and a new toy usually means the old one has to go to make room. Otherwise I feel the trigger is far superior out of the box to either the SP101 or lower-end (read, not Performance Center) Smith J-frames. The Hogue Tamer grips that are on the gun really help soak up recoil.

I don't feel there's any reason to overlook the LCR if you're in the market for a snub. But snubs, as mentioned in previous posts, aren't for everyone and it sure seems many new gun buyers look for the smaller lightweight guns without knowing what they're getting into.

Snubbies aren't a gun for the novice shooter but many novices have to find that out the hard way - hence the reason, I believe, you see them used - although I can't prove that around here in any stores I frequent and I personally find them kinda rare on the classifieds.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    I've got an LCR in my pocket right now. It's my EDC. I have it loaded with Critical Defense +P 110gr. It is NOT pleasant to shoot, but with the Hogue Tamer grip it's tolerable enough to allow 25 rounds a week of range practice (no, I don't shoot the CD for practice - I use my own reloads tailored to shoot similar to the CD). I can put all 25 rounds in a six inch circle at 7 yards - good enough for what I envision as a 'bad situation'. I carry two speed strips just in case. Bottom line, I've got a lot of other things I could carry (and sometimes do), but the LCR is light, easy to conceal, and good enough to take care of business.

With all that said, I can certainly see why someone who does not have a good understanding of what these lightweight, small firearms 'feel' like would want to find something else.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    Simple, first there were a lot of them made.

Second, lots of people found out that tiny guns are unpleasant to shoot.

Third, others have realized that bigger guns are better and, with a good carry rig, can be easily carried.

So the supply of these guns is huge. Many of us have them as back-up pistols and use them as a BUG. Some folks use them as primary carry pistols. And people who bought them thinking that a small gun would be easy to shoot have woken up after shooting them and decided to sell them to buy a larger/heavier gun with a real grip and similar recoil but easier to handle and firing a bigger/heavier bullet.

All true. I had the gold TALO edition that I got on a killer deal from another member here. After getting my M&P Shield, I didn't need it and sold it to my mom, she still has it. NOT a pleasant gun to shoot, but it does work OK for a BUG.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I got caught in the 'wow...that's cool' game and bought an LCR in .38+P thinking it would be a great carry gun! After shooting about 300 rounds through it...I ended up selling it and keeping my 2.25" SP101 in .357mag...and carry 125 grain JHP's in it! I preferred to carry the heavier SP101 (Bianchi Model 7 3-Slot holster) as I handled the recoil better with the SP than I did with the LCR! Personal preference thing!

Indysioux

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Carmel IN
    I have a 38 LCR with the Crimson Trace option. For me, the laser makes all the difference for being able to hit the target. I'm keeping mine. :)

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    I sold my LCR since I could not get used to the trigger which was totally different and hard to stage compared to a S&W j frame. I sold the LCR and replaced it with an early 90's S&W stainless 640 38 special which is a keeper.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I like mine in .357. I don't carry it, but keep it stashed in my man cave, although I wouldn't hesitate to carry it if I needed.

Not at all bad shooting .38 special, but full house magnum loads are a bit of a bear for me. After the first shot, I'm lucky to keep it even on the paper.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The are singularly ugly as far as revolvers go. This is my idea of a nice, compact revolver:

View attachment 20658

Turnbull case coloring...Drool....What a Beauty sir....I tease Finnengan (an INGO member) when he comes in the shop wearing his LCR. I always say. "You got your new Glock revolver on ya?" and I will tell you this. He responds with a compelling case why it works for him...

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    They are an excellent gun for CC. I had no problems with mine and I didn't feel it was hard to shoot. The reason I sold mine is that I really like having and exposed hammer Witt the ability to shoot SA.

Top Bottom