• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Sorry, I thought you meant getting hit by a bike wouldn't hurt you too bad and didn't take into account you meant getting hit in a car by a bike. I believe (but can't remember what the sign says about right away) that pedestrians have the right away.
    Guy doesn't even try to steer, but look at that again - I see a piece of debris off to the right edge of the path. Is it possible his attention is on dodging that and not further up the road? Otherwise that was completely avoidable, brakes or no brakes

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    Guy doesn't even try to steer, but look at that again - I see a piece of debris off to the right edge of the path. Is it possible his attention is on dodging that and not further up the road? Otherwise that was completely avoidable, brakes or no brakes
    He honestly had no business riding down the bridge without brakes. I don't think she will get anything out of the accident but she should.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    He honestly had no business riding down the bridge without brakes. I don't think she will get anything out of the accident but she should.
    Did you look again and see the debris? If so, you don't mention it.

In the context of this thread, shouldn't the three women have been walking single file so as to impede traffic as little as possible since they are slower moving? Is it OK to suggest they were somehow at fault or partially responsible because they didn't pull over to let faster traffic by?

Hyperbole, I know, but honestly that's what reading a lot of this thread feels like

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

In the context of this thread, shouldn't the three women have been walking single file so as to impede traffic as little as possible since they are slower moving? Is it OK to suggest they were somehow at fault or partially responsible because they didn't pull over to let faster traffic by?

Hyperbole, I know, but honestly that's what reading a lot of this thread feels like
    There's a practical hierarchy on the road: animals < pedestrians < cyclists < motorcycles < cars < pickup trucks < industrial trucks < semi trucks.

I don't know what either side is arguing here really. On a multi-use trail both walkers and bicycle riders have an equal right to be there. The biker is at fault here. If another bike, or car hit a bike in the same situation they'd be at fault too. And the higher modes of travel have a responsibility to not ruin the lower's day.

But this thread is particularly about the traveling dickheads who happen to be on bicycles. We should all assume that present company is not included in that group. Not all cyclists are dickheads. Only dickheads who cycle are in that group. I don't think there's any reason why you should feel targeted.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Would you expect anything different to happen if that was a mass motorcycle ride and dude tried to weave through them (Hint: videos exist of those exact circumstances)

Maybe pushing buttons because you feel you've got the whip hand in your 3500 lb car needs to become more dangerous. Isn't this thread in part all about people having a sense of entitlement and pushing the narrative about their rights far beyond the bounds of SA and common sense

I don't feel particularly sorry for him but I'm glad it was only his car that got damaged

Edit: Oh, and that's California. doesn't the fact he's insured mean he has no right to bitch about the expense because; justice or something

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    There's a practical hierarchy on the road: animals < pedestrians < cyclists < motorcycles < cars < pickup trucks < industrial trucks < semi trucks.
    I think the quote you are looking for is:

"Right of way is all about tonnage and velocity, and pedestrians are way down at the bottom of the list'

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Would you expect anything different to happen if that was a mass motorcycle ride and dude tried to weave through them (Hint: videos exist of those exact circumstances)

Maybe pushing buttons because you feel you've got the whip hand in your 3500 lb car needs to become more dangerous. Isn't this thread in part all about people having a sense of entitlement and pushing the narrative about their rights far beyond the bounds of SA and common sense

I don't feel particularly sorry for him but I'm glad it was only his car that got damaged
    I think if a mass group is going to block traffic they should have a permit to do so, and, have police there to help divert traffic away from them. But, if a group is just taking it upon themselves to block traffic with their presence, cars have as much right to be there too. You don't like it? Go apply for a permit to hold some event that blocks traffic. Can't get a permit? Them's the breaks. Obey the traffic laws. The sense of entitlement is the group of bikers. And the ******* who assaulted the guy in the car should be charged and prosecuted.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think the quote you are looking for is:

"Right of way is all about tonnage and velocity, and pedestrians are way down at the bottom of the list'

I wasn't quoting anything. I was just expressing the concept in my own words.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I think if a mass group is going to block traffic they should have a permit to do so, and, have police there to help divert traffic away from them. But, if a group is just taking it upon themselves to block traffic with their presence, cars have as much right to be there too. You don't like it? Go apply for a permit to hold some event that blocks traffic. Can't get a permit? Them's the breaks. Obey the traffic laws. The sense of entitlement is the group of bikers. And the ******* who assaulted the guy in the car should be charged and prosecuted.
    Did you watch the video? 'Them's the breaks' pretty much sums up the consequences of cage dude's righteous insistence on his privilege

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Did you watch the video? 'Them's the breaks' pretty much sums up the consequences of cage dude's righteous insistence on his privilege
    Who's headed for jail? :dunno:

Sounds a lot like you think the driver had it coming.

If Houston has laws against blocking traffic, all of them in that mob of bikes should be arrested and charged. It's no different from a mob of protestors. Citizens can't prohibit other citizens from being where they have a right to be.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If one needs a permit then they no longer have the rights the law indicates they have.

Do other groups of vehicles need the permit to all travel from whatever gathering they attended whether it is a mass exodus after work or a sporting event? Asking for a friend…

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If one needs a permit then they no longer have the rights the law indicates they have.

Do other groups of vehicles need the permit to all travel from whatever gathering they attended whether it is a mass exodus after work or a sporting event? Asking for a friend…
    Mike, C'mon man. Think this through a bit?

If you want exclusive use of the road, that means you're depriving other people's equal access to the road. They allow that now (notwithstanding protestors with preferred causes). You'll need to get permission to exclude others from what they would have an equal right to access though. I mean, if you're saying you want such permits to go away, I'm fine with that too. I don't go to parades. I think they're stupid. I think bikers taking over exclusive use of the road is stupid. They have no more right to the exclusive use of the road than that driver had.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County

I saw the debris. TBH, the people standing there talking were breaking one of the rules of moving off of the trail when stopping. There's no rule about walking single file and the bicyclist that hit one of them was coming from the opposite way.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Mike, C'mon man. Think this through a bit?

If you want exclusive use of the road, that means you're depriving other people's equal access to the road. They allow that now (notwithstanding protestors with preferred causes). You'll need to get permission to exclude others from what they would have an equal right to access though. I mean, if you're saying you want such permits to go away, I'm fine with that too. I don't go to parades. I think they're stupid. I think bikers taking over exclusive use of the road is stupid. They have no more right to the exclusive use of the road than that driver had.
    I did not see where “exclusive use” was originally mentioned and presumed that was a description of how some felt when faced with 40-60 cyclists in a group. What other groups of legal road users would this permit apply to?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I saw the debris. TBH, the people standing there talking were breaking one of the rules of moving off of the trail when stopping. There's no rule about walking single file and the bicyclist that hit one of them was coming from the opposite way.
    I ride on multi-use trails a lot. One annoying things about pedestrians groups stopping to chat while taking up the whole width of the trail as if they're the only ones using it. Especially on a blind curve.

I've started using a USB speaker to blare my music as I ride so that people can hear me coming. That and I'm too anti-social to have to say that gay sounding, "on your left." I'd much rather say, "coming through! move your ass!" but then I'd be one of those dickheads this thread is about.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I did not see where “exclusive use” was originally mentioned and presumed that was a description of how some felt when faced with 40-60 cyclists in a group. What other groups of legal road users would this permit apply to?
    We were talking about that video where they were taking up the whole ****ing road like a mob. That car had as much right to be there as them. If they want the whole road for their event, get a ****ing permit, and pay the police to direct traffic accordingly.

Top Bottom