Why Tik Tok must be banned senator Rubio.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Never used Tiktok, don't have any social media accounts outside forums.

How could you ban it without some sort of national firewall? I guess you could prohibit US companies from advertising on it, but I don't understand the logistics of banning it all together. I think it's a pretty dangerous idea to ban it and not sure how it would pass 1st amendment court challenges.

Apparently there's a plan to have Oracle hold all the data in a facility in Texas and any data released to outside entities would require approval from the US gov't. That seems a pretty reasonable accomodation vs a feckless ban, but I fully admit I may be missing a lot of techno-wizardly that makes that plan unreasonable as well.
    Blocking via pocket inspection. You can block the traffic on your own network, that's how Purdue does it.

On a national scale? The US isn't as good as that as the Chinese, but it can be done.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    How could you ban it without some sort of national firewall?
    Maybe that is the plan. The government needs to protect us after all.

Other than that, it could be done through DNS. They have penalties for going around the blacks, so they wouldn't have to try really hard.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    As someone who . . . in his deep, dark past . . . worked some of both sides of the street regarding Intel and counter-Intel, the data TikTok gathers from user's phones would have been a Treasure Trove to the Intel community I worked with. Something we only dreamed about. It's not about the silly dances and wacko challenges. It's the tidbits of the user's networks of friends, family, acquaintances, and work associates. Intel is a jigsaw puzzle with thousands of pieces and you painstakingly build the picture, or enough of it to become usable, one itty-bitty piece at a time. Nothing glamorous about it. Pure drudgery. Hours, days and weeks of drudgery.

One scours information for those who have access to sensitive or classified information, or access to industrial and commercial secrets. They become the "target", and sometimes leads to a better target in the same organization. Then build the network of the above around them, to find a path to compromise the target, whether it's hacking into them, or outright blackmail. Everyone has things to hide about themselves or their families. If you can't find it, you create it by luring someone into a compromising situation. The infamous:
    (1) Get the dude stone drunk or slip him a mickey,
    (2) drag him to a hotel room passed out or wait until he passes out,
    (3) undress and put him in compromising position with a hooker,
    (4) photograph it, and
    (5) leave him to wake up in the morning wondering what the hell happened.
    (6) Blackmail him with the photos.
    That's only one scenario, and it's been used for real countless times, not just in the 1930's - 1950's movies. The variants of it abound to ensnare targets to lure people into embarrassing and compromising situations that can be recorded. It's not only about military secrets and nuke codes (the latter of which you'd never, ever get anyway; don't ask me how I know; I can't tell you that). Companies don't just have patents, and other registered intellectual properties, they have commercial trade secrets they don't want to patent as it requires public disclosure of what is being patented (or copyrighted). Among the most famous are the recipes for CocaCola and PepsiCola. Every major corporation has trade secrets that are supposed to be highly protected and guarded.

The spy game to get to the desired secrets isn't James Bond crap. It's going after the little guys. You don't want the Big Cheese -- Top Banana -- Big Kahuna. You want the no-name clerk minion who mindlessly files and retrieves the stuff every day. Among the most notorious in the past was the Lonely Hearts little old ladies in tennis shoes, divorced or widowed, working as clerks and typists in NATO -- seduced by younger, good looking East Germans who had sneaked into West Germany (it wasn't that hard to get them in from East to West). How do you find your targets? You piece it together from information gathered about who works where that contains what you want, and then build the network of who they interact with around them.

TikTok isn't the only Chinese app doing this. There are several others that are just as insidious -- requiring over two dozen permissions to access all your data on your phone.
    • Pinduoduo -- a shopping app; imagine a combination of Amazon and Alibaba
    • Temu -- similar to Pinduoduo
    • Meitu, aka MeituPic -- photo editor app
    These four cell phone apps suck up data like the Megamaid in the movie, Spaceballs. They all need to be banned. Controlling them, including where the data is stored, will not work. The currently proposed "RESTRICT Act" that would allegedly control and protect us from what they're gathering is the Patriot Act on steroids. Empowering the Secretary of Commerce in White House to "regulate information and communications technologies" will be abused for nefarious political purposes. I guarantee it. Which Department hasn't been by Biden's West Wing? Remember the FBI memo about recruiting Catholic Church members to spy on their congregations, declaring those who worship using the traditional Latin Mass to be "Violent Extremists"? Call your Congressman and Senators and tell them NOT to pass the "RESTRICT Act", but to OUTRIGHT BAN these apps. Anything less won't stop the Chinese espionage machine that's using them.

Hope this helps understand the significance and national security threat these apps are.

Mega-Maid.jpg

Last edited:

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    As someone who . . . in his deep, dark past . . . worked some of both sides of the street regarding Intel and counter-Intel, the data TikTok gathers from user's phones would have been a Treasure Trove to the Intel community I worked with. Something we only dreamed about. It's not about the silly dances and wacko challenges. It's the tidbits of the user's networks of friends, family, acquaintances, and work associates. Intel is a jigsaw puzzle with thousands of pieces and you painstakingly build the picture, or enough of it to become usable, one itty-bitty piece at a time. Nothing glamorous about it. Pure drudgery. Hours, days and weeks of drudgery.

One scours information for those who have access to sensitive or classified information, or access to industrial and commercial secrets. They become the "target", and sometimes leads to a better target in the same organization. Then build the network of the above around them, to find a path to compromise the target, whether it's hacking into them, or outright blackmail. Everyone has things to hide about themselves or their families. If you can't find it, you create it by luring someone into a compromising situation. The infamous:
    (1) Get the dude stone drunk or slip him a mickey,
    (2) drag him to a hotel room passed out or wait until he passes out,
    (3) undress and put him in compromising position with a hooker,
    (4) photograph it, and
    (5) leave him to wake up in the morning wondering what the hell happened.
    (6) Blackmail him with the photos.
    That's only one scenario, and it's been used for real countless times, not just in the 1930's - 1950's movies. The variants of it abound to ensnare targets to lure people into embarrassing and compromising situations that can be recorded. It's not only about military secrets and nuke codes (the latter of which you'd never, ever get anyway; don't ask me how I know; I can't tell you that). Companies don't just have patents, and other registered intellectual properties, they have commercial trade secrets they don't want to patent as it requires public disclosure of what is being patented (or copyrighted). Among the most famous are the recipes for CocaCola and PepsiCola. Every major corporation has trade secrets that are supposed to be highly protected and guarded.

The spy game to get to the desired secrets isn't James Bond crap. It's going after the little guys. You don't want the Big Cheese -- Top Banana -- Big Kahuna. You want the no-name clerk minion who mindlessly files and retrieves the stuff every day. Among the most notorious in the past was the Lonely Hearts little old ladies in tennis shoes, divorced or widowed, working as clerks and typists in NATO -- seduced by younger, good looking East Germans who had sneaked into West Germany (it wasn't that hard to get them in from East to West). How do you find your targets? You piece it together from information gathered about who works where that contains what you want, and then build the network of who they interact with around them.

TikTok isn't the only Chinese app doing this. There are several others that are just as insidious -- requiring over two dozen permissions to access all your data on your phone.
    • Pinduoduo -- a shopping app; imagine a combination of Amazon and Alibaba
    • Temu -- similar to Pinduoduo
    • Meitu, aka MeituPic -- photo editor app
    These four cell phone apps suck up data like the Megamaid in the movie, Spaceballs. They all need to be banned. Controlling them, including where the data is stored, will not work. The currently proposed "RESTRICT Act" that would allegedly control and protect us from what they're gathering is the Patriot Act on steroids. Empowering the Secretary of Commerce in White House to "regulate information and communications technologies" will be abused for nefarious political purposes. I guarantee it. Which Department hasn't been by Biden's West Wing? Remember the FBI memo about recruiting Catholic Church members to spy on their congregations, declaring those who worship using the traditional Latin Mass to be "Violent Extremists"? Call your Congressman and Senators and tell them NOT to pass the "RESTRICT Act", but to OUTRIGHT BAN these apps. Anything less won't stop the Chinese espionage machine that's using them.

Hope this helps understand the significance and national security threat these apps are.

View attachment 269322

So they are getting the same information that is available on my Linked In page?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    So they are getting the same information that is available on my Linked In page?
    It goes a little deeper than that. The problem is that people don't care to pay attention. When as App says it needs permissions to things, they just give it. Now the .gov wants to protect them from themselves.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It goes a little deeper than that. The problem is that people don't care to pay attention. When as App says it needs permissions to things, they just give it. Now the .gov wants to protect them from themselves.
    Which is why I don't give those permissions.
    And it SERIOUSLY has crimped on what I can get.
    I keep looking for a game to play, when sitting somewhere, and they all seem to 'need' to access data that seems a bit questionable.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Which is why I don't give those permissions.
    And it SERIOUSLY has crimped on what I can get.
    I keep looking for a game to play, when sitting somewhere, and they all seem to 'need' to access data that seems a bit questionable.
    Same here. Only games I have are a solitaire game and Sudoku. Other apps generally get permissions only when I am using the app, unless there is real reason I accept for those permissions.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    People are mindless when it comes to online privacy. My daughter and grand daughters have hundreds of apps and of course tik tok. Some seem to be retailer sites, and once the page loads is found to be from the middle east. They are also difficult to delete. I am convinced that tik tok is specifically designed by people with phd's in predictive psychology to manipulate people into weakness and harm.

My wife got fooled a couple times. One was supposed to be a social security site, but was really a rouge site in England, ran by an international criminal from Pakistan. I was able to down load many pages of lawsuits against him. She gave critical information to a criminal enterprise, and to add insult, her credit card was charged for the "service". Google has to be in on it. She got there by typing in "replacement social security card" and google direct linked her to the fraud website. The amazing thing is that all the authorities KNOW the criminal, the activity and where it is. I even goggled mapped pictures of the location. A quaint little row of old shops in a small community. I reported it to Social security and the website was still active a year later.

I drove to the social security office in person to handle my business. Who knows if the Social Security office computers are secure? I am betting they are compromised too.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

“Why I’m More Scared Of American Social Media Companies Than TikTok”​

“Unlike American social media companies, the deep state can’t control TikTok, so they want to annihilate it.”

“Every echelon of the federal government wants TikTok gone for the benefit of themselves and their donors, not the American people.”

Top Bottom