• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    That's how I was always raised as well. The family members I mentioned in my OP are on my wife's side. To me there is pride in doing things with the least amount of help possible. That doesn't mean I can't try to see it from the other side though.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Lol, it always amuses me when the well off are fine with taking .gov assistance but castigate the less well off.

I was just curious how far you are into the "plantation" (your word) for. Guess you don't feel like sharing.

Funny the "plantation" guy who would whore out his girl is calling others trolls.
    Whores!? Where? Lol

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Sumt's point is completely valid. You DO have a lot of WTB posts. Last I checked, you can't eat any of the items you're wanting to buy. If you do take govt assistance, then you'll be no better that anyone else that mooches off the govt, and by default every other American who has their pockets picked by the "not so needy."
    This is pretty much how I see it too.
    Of coarse this is all hypothetical according to the op. So consider this my feelings towards a hypothetical situation

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Don't flatter yourself. You bump all of your WTB ads daily, it shows up in everyone's unread posts... which is ironically how you ended up on my ignore list in the first place. If the free hospital birthing of your child, her paid education, and insurances for both of them are not enough, feel free to help yourself to some free food as well. If you can afford gun stuff, you can afford food. If you want to cheat the system, then you are part of the problem. It doesn't make it ok just because other people do it, hopefully you learn that lesson in time to teach your children.

I thought you had him on ignore? He said he's NOT GETTING WIC - even though he is QUALIFIED for it.

Last edited:

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Yeah, I've seen a lot of folks in the grocery line doing this. Except their normally buying the store's best cuts of meat with the WIC and using their "own money" for the alcohol and cigarettes. Those folks are likely smarter than me because they typically drive a nicer car too.

Yeah but you can't buy meat with WIC. You don't even know what WIC is do you?

Examples of WIC foods include milk, cereal, cheese, eggs, fruit juice, peanut butter, dried beans/peas, canned beans, whole grain bread, tortillas, brown rice, canned fish, infant formula, infant cereal, baby fruits and vegetables, baby food meats, tofu, soy milk, and fruits & vegetables.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I thought you had him on ignore? He said he's NOT GETTING WIC - even though he is QUALIFIED for it. Hey there might be some teens on your lawn...you better go check.

Did you not read my in thread requests.

Points can be made with out the sarcasm and personal attacks.

Last chance. Seriously.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yeah, I've seen a lot of folks in the grocery line doing this. Except their normally buying the store's best cuts of meat with the WIC/food stamps and using their "own money" for the alcohol and cigarettes. Those folks are likely smarter than me because they typically drive a nicer car too.

Yeah but you can't buy meat with WIC. You don't even know what WIC is do you?

Examples of WIC foods include milk, cereal, cheese, eggs, fruit juice, peanut butter, dried beans/peas, canned beans, whole grain bread, tortillas, brown rice, canned fish, infant formula, infant cereal, baby fruits and vegetables, baby food meats, tofu, soy milk, and fruits & vegetables.

You are correct, I don't know the difference between WIC/food stamps . Never had them. I take my own responsibilities seriously.
    If it's time to sign up for welfare, it's time to get additional income.

Just observations from the checkout line sir. ;)

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    WIC - Women, Infants and Children was a USDA program started in 1974 - The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) provides Federal grants to States for supplemental foods, health care referrals, and nutrition education for low-income pregnant, breastfeeding, and non-breastfeeding postpartum women, and to infants and children up to age five who are found to be at nutritional risk.

WIC is not SNAP or Food Stamps. WIC mothers get paper vouchers once a month for a very limited number of food items, like Peanut Butter, Bread, Juice, Infant Formula...etc

While my son was a US Marine Corp Corporal stationed in North Carolina, he and his wife qualified for WIC as well as SNAP because of the low pay we give our non-comms...they took the WIC for the baby and didn't feel like they needed SNAP. When he was a Marine Corps Sergeant stationed in Iraq for the year they still qualified and used WIC for the kids because of the low pay we give our non-comms.

Qualifying and getting WIC supplemental foods is not degrading, doesn't make you a deadbeat, or some kind of reprehensible leech on the butt of society. It's a nutritional safety net established by the USDA to help make sure Women and Children receive the nutrition they need, especially if nursing.

tc556guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Upstate NY
    WIC - Women, Infants and Children was a USDA program started in 1974 - The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) provides Federal grants to States for supplemental foods, health care referrals, and nutrition education for low-income pregnant, breastfeeding, and non-breastfeeding postpartum women, and to infants and children up to age five who are found to be at nutritional risk.

WIC is not SNAP or Food Stamps. WIC mothers get paper vouchers once a month for a very limited number of food items, like Peanut Butter, Bread, Juice, Infant Formula...etc

While my son was a US Marine Corp Corporal stationed in North Carolina, he and his wife qualified for WIC as well as SNAP because of the low pay we give our non-comms...they took the WIC for the baby and didn't feel like they needed SNAP. When he was a Marine Corps Sergeant stationed in Iraq for the year they still qualified and used WIC for the kids because of the low pay we give our non-comms.

Qualifying and getting WIC supplemental foods is not degrading, doesn't make you a deadbeat, or some kind of reprehensible leech on the butt of society. It's a nutritional safety net established by the USDA to help make sure Women and Children receive the nutrition they need, especially if nursing.

In the eyes of many it's still expecting others to support your family that you should be supporting on your own or not having until you CAN support them on your own.
    Given the various tax breaks and additional funds paid to deployed military personnel, they still needed those funds while he was gone, or it was simply ?nice to have" for them as a supplement?
    I find the number of college students with SNAP at a local Ivy League university to be amazing. It's like they have no shame at all whipping out that card. They obviously qualify as students with minimal income, but they are attending a 50,000 a year tuition university........

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    In the eyes of many it's still expecting others to support your family that you should be supporting on your own or not having until you CAN support them on your own.
    Given the various tax breaks and additional funds paid to deployed military personnel, they still needed those funds while he was gone, or it was simply ?nice to have" for them as a supplement?
    I find the number of college students with SNAP at a local Ivy League university to be amazing. It's like they have no shame at all whipping out that card. They obviously qualify as students with minimal income, but they are attending a 50,000 a year tuition university........

To his point I think we should pay our service men and women enough that they can provide for their families without needing special programs. But given that we don't, I'm certainly not going to complain at the guy who enlists and puts his life on the line but doesn't earn enough to support his family. And that's an entirely different discussion.

The idea is that people should provide for their own needs. Programs like WIC and foodstamps were supposed to be a safety net and not a way of life. I was amazed how hard the Obama administration worked at getting as many people as possible to go on the government dole.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

Bob, I gave up when the guy with the Ag subsidies referred to other subsidies as as on the "plantation". The way the US tax code and agricultural system is set up, everybody gets a kickback of some sort. Every time you buy a block of cheese or a hunk of meat you are reaping the benefits of tax subsidies.

It just make some people feel better about themselves to castigate lower income people who receive subsidies while they celebrate the Donald Trumps and Mitt Romney's of the world.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Bob, I gave up when the guy with the Ag subsidies referred to other subsidies as as on the "plantation". The way the US tax code and agricultural system is set up, everybody gets a kickback of some sort. Every time you buy a block of cheese or a hunk of meat you are reaping the benefits of tax subsidies.

It just make some people feel better about themselves to castigate lower income people who receive subsidies while they celebrate the Donald Trumps and Mitt Romney's of the world.

I feel quite comfortable advocating for no subsidies. I just don't think that's the role of government. The war on poverty hasn't really helped. But I understand that it's not likely those will all go away ever. So I'm good with steps in the right direction, though I'd prefer they were across the board.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I feel quite comfortable advocating for no subsidies. I just don't think that's the role of government. The war on poverty hasn't really helped. But I understand that it's not likely those will all go away ever. So I'm good with steps in the right direction, though I'd prefer they were across the board.
    I'm all for getting the government out of the enforced charity and price fixing game. What I can't stomach is the attitude of people with quite a bit of money reaping such benefits while at the same time adopting a holier-than-thou judgmental attitude towards others. For one, it is "good business", for the other it is shameful.

The current system is intentionally designed to force people into the governments financial shell game. Due to the price fixing structure the government enforces, you cannot commercially farm without being part of the subsidy game.

There was a joke going around when I was a kid back in the Dakotas. What piece of equipment can immediately double a farmers profits? A second mailbox.

I remember when I got married when I was still in school and we went to add maternity to my wife's health insurance policy. We were both paying out-of-pocket for our health insurance at that point as neither of our employers offered benefits. I will never forget when the insurance agent realized that we qualified for Medicare and told us that she could not sell us a policy. The terms of all of the policies required you to accept Medicare before you were eligible for private coverage.

The system is rigged, and we are all a part of it.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm all for getting the government out of the enforced charity and price fixing game. What I can't stomach is the attitude of people with quite a bit of money reaping such benefits while at the same time adopting a holier-than-thou judgmental attitude towards others. For one, it is "good business", for the other it is shameful.

The current system is intentionally designed to force people into the governments financial shell game. Due to the price fixing structure the government enforces, you cannot commercially farm without being part of the subsidy game.

There was a joke going around when I was a kid back in the Dakotas. What piece of equipment can immediately double a farmers profits? A second mailbox.

I remember when I got married when I was still in school and we went to add maternity to my wife's health insurance policy. We were both paying out-of-pocket for our health insurance at that point as neither of our employers offered benefits. I will never forget when the insurance agent realized that we qualified for Medicare and told us that she could not sell us a policy. The terms of all of the policies required you to accept Medicare before you were eligible for private coverage.

Yep.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

This sums up the truth beautifully. The system is designed, as you said, to pull everyone in whether they like it or not and whether they realize it or not, and make the lines so damned blurry that an entire accounting firm could spend a lifetime trying to figure it out without getting the job done.

I would add the corollary to farm subsidies that these are not designed for the benefit of guys on tractors, but rather for such 'farmers' as ADM, Cargill, ConAgra, Smithfield, et alia. The guy on a tractor doesn't have much choice but to accept the crumbs that fall off the edge of the table and still has a hard way to make a living. Without the subsidies, the guy on the tractor would mop the floor with the corporate farmers. Then, after this, you get into the severely rigged market, but that is another discussion.

I would also point out that human nature is to look for someone at whom we can look down our noses. As mentioned above, it is commonplace to stand in awe of the rich who were assisted greatly by subsidies yet heap scorn on poor people who put food in the refrigerator that way. It strikes me as having much in common with the way that unjustly killing one person is *gasp* murder but murdering a million people is a statistic.

At the end of the day, there is no constitutional authority for any of this, and hell no I don't like it, but I am not going to sharpen the knives over poor people taking comparative pocket change while others are taking millions and held up as role models to emulate--all of whom are living on a plantation which keeps its slaves where they 'belong' not by force of arms but rather by making it impossible for them to survive otherwise and making it impossible to find an existing alternative.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US

If the USDA all of a sudden stopped those farm subsidies...who would be screaming the loudest about the cost of food climbing almost over night? Your point is well made and well taken. We're all essentially on the dole. I volunteer from time to time in a food bank that 8 years ago we were serving about 200 families a month with two bags of groceries. We're now serving about 5 times that. They don't come in and get groceries because its "nice to have", they come in because it helps them stretch their food budget and provides them with healthier food choices. The food bank survives on food and cash donations from the parish and buying bulk items from Gleaners. As far as I know there is no direct state or federal subsidy to them.

There are poor people in America and not all of them are poor because they are too lazy to take care of themselves. There is no need for public ridicule of the needy. If someone never has to depend on these kinds of things, they ought to be thanking God every day they have the ability...one day they may not.

Some years back 60 Minutes did a piece on the number of US military non-comms that had to rely on the old Food Stamp program to feed their families. It was pretty sickening to think these young men and women were laying their lives on the line and we as a nation were so ungrateful that we couldn't pay them enough for groceries. It still happens today.

Top Bottom