• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    My wife and two of her friends were just robbed at gunpoint in my own driveway. This happened in Indy, south of the state fairgrounds around 2:40 am Saturday.

They were coming home late from a girl's night out. The DD was dropping my wife off in front of our house. She was saying her goodbyes when a guy in a ski mask came out of the dark and stuck a gun in her face.

We have a vacant house next to ours. It was just purchased and the new owner is rehabbing it, but it's currently empty and very dark, no lights at all. There's also a big gap in the fence in the backyard which sits right up against an alley. I'm guessing he was in the alley and saw their headlights on and came through the yard. Either that or he was just sitting their waiting for someone to come along.

He took all of their purses, ID's, 2 cell phones, car keys, cash, pretty much everything they had on them, and took off running. Thankfully no one was hurt. I'm planning to disconnect the car battery when the sun comes up in case he tries to come back for it.

I was asleep when she came in crying and yelled for me to call the police. Officers arrived about 2-3 minutes after the initial call, so a very quick response. She described the scumbag as black male, between 5'6"-5'8" around 160-175 lbs. He had a very small grey or black handgun. I'm guessing a .22. I'm sure he's local.

A big +1 to IMPD officer B. Hopkins, who took the report. I was supposed to be at work downtown at 5:30 a.m. and I didn't have the bosses number to call off, so I actually had to drive down to my workplace to get phone numbers and start calling people to cover my shift. I was gone for about an hour while the girls spoke with the police. Officer Hopkins waited in his car outside the house until I got back, since all 3 of them were pretty scared and shaken up.

Immediately after I got back my wife told me she's ready to get some training and start protecting herself. I wish it hadn't taken this event to get her to this point, but again, thankfully no one was hurt.

Of course I wish I would have been there to help protect her although, I'm not sure what would have happened if I had been. Someone likely would have ended up getting shot. Him, me, everyone. Then again, he might not have targeted them if I was with them. Who knows? I told her they did the right thing by giving up their stuff.

Just another reminder to be vigilant and stay safe. I know we will be taking some steps to more properly secure our home and vehicles. We will also be taking a basic pistol class together so I can begin introducing her to the self defense mindset. And of course, we will be looking into training.

Last edited:

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    My wife and two of her friends were just robbed at gunpoint in my own driveway. This happened in Indy, south of the state fairgrounds around 2:40 am Saturday.

They were coming home late from a girl's night out. The DD was dropping my wife off in front of our house. She was saying her goodbyes when a guy in a ski mask came out of the dark and stuck a gun in her face.

We have a vacant house next to ours. It was just purchased and the new owner is rehabbing it, but it's currently empty and very dark, no lights at all. There's also a big gap in the fence in the backyard which sits right up against an alley. I'm guessing he was in the alley and saw their headlights on and came through the yard. Either that or he was just sitting their waiting for someone to come along.

He took all of their purses, ID's, 2 cell phones, car keys, cash, pretty much everything they had on them, and took off running. Thankfully no one was hurt. I'm planning to disconnect the car battery when the sun comes up in case he tries to come back for it.

I was asleep when she came in crying and yelled for me to call the police. Officers arrived about 2-3 minutes after the initial call, so a very quick response. She described the scumbag as black male, between 5'6"-5'8" around 160-175 lbs. He had a very small grey or black handgun. I'm guessing a .22. I'm sure he's local.

A big +1 to IMPD officer B. Hopkins, who took the report. I was supposed to be at work downtown at 5:30 a.m. and I didn't have the bosses number to call off, so I actually had to drive down to my workplace to get phone numbers and start calling people to cover my shift. I was gone for about an hour while the girls spoke with the police. Officer Hopkins waited in his car outside the house until I got back, since all 3 of them were pretty scared and shaken up.

Immediately after I got back my told me she's ready to get some training and start protecting herself. I wish it hadn't taken this event to get her to this point, but again, thankfully no one was hurt.

Of course I wish I would have been there to help protect her although, I'm not sure what would have happened if I had been. Someone likely would have ended up getting shot. Him, me, everyone. Then again, he might not have targeted them if I was with them. Who knows? I told her they did the right thing by giving up their stuff.

Just another reminder to be vigilant and stay safe. I know we will be taking some steps to more properly secure our home and vehicles. We will also be taking a basic pistol class together so I can begin introducing her to the self defense mindset. And of course, we will be looking into training.

I'm very sorry that this happened. My recent experience is still fresh in my mind and I know the feeling all too well. it is, however, a good thing that she wants to seek training to further protect herself. I truly wish it was for a different reason, though. I hope they catch the scumbag. I also hope the catch the scumbag that did the same to me a few weeks ago. At least in my case it was at my place of business and I didn't lose any of my personal items. This is a great reminder to be prepared for anything at any time. You never know when the "bad guy" may strike

Ljsucks24

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    I'm glad no one was hurt. And kudos to the officer! It's nice to hear there are still some good ones out there. Hope they get the guy!

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Thanks RnR. sorry to hear you had to go through something like that.

It happens, unfortunately. I was at work (where I cannot carry, of course) and I'm fortunate that the only thing that was taken was money that doesn't belong to me. I do, however, understand the feeling of fear and unknowing when something like that happens. I'm still jumpy. Heck, my other half stopped by home in between his job sites the other night and when I heard the knock at the door (it was locked) I greeted him with a gun :): I'm sure your wife will be jumpy for a while too. It's not a pleasant feeling. Be prepared for a few sleepless/rough nights in the near future.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Looking back the one thing you could have done differently would be to have here call when she is on her way so you can safely get her in the door, I know this is after the fact but that is the one thing I gladly do for anyone coming over, even having to wake up to get them in the door for 15-20min. is better then nothing.

Sorry to hear about this!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Looking back the one thing you could have done differently would be to have here call when she is on her way so you can safely get her in the door, I know this is after the fact but that is the one thing I gladly do for anyone coming over, even having to wake up to get them in the door for 15-20min. is better then nothing.

Sorry to hear about this!

Yes, yes, and yes. I should have asked her to call me. I told her before hand I was nervous about her staying out too late. We had dinner together but I came home early to put our daughter to bed.

We will learn from this, but it definitely is not the time for I told you so.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'm definitely not looking forward to telling my father-in-law about this. He's a crusty old Marine who already hates the fact that we live where we do. It will certainly be interesting to get his reaction to all of this.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    GLAD your Wife is OK..

NOT to judge at ALL, but to learn off of this action, would it be fair to say that next time to have a DD that is armed+and makes sure that all of the Gals make it to their doors safely??

Just an "after the fact" thought??

Stay safe..Bill.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    That definitely is a scary situation. I am so happy to hear that your wife and her friends were not hurt Chris. I have some friends living up in that area an it is a constant fear in the back of my mind that one day some piece of ***** will try that on them and kill somebody. You are now a guide to help your wife learn to be situationally aware and prepared to defend herself and her friends.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Funny you mention that BillyBob. After the police left, the girl driving said, "I hate guns, but I think I'll have to get one after this."

I'm going to recommend all 3 of them take a women and firearms class.

EastIndyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    OP we must be neighbors. Where exactly did this happen. I came home late last night nd my spidey sense was tingling. Would have been around the same time. I'm at 3500 Carrollton. So sorry this happened to your wife.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    The Girls NEED to have FUN....

Funny you mention that BillyBob. After the police left, the girl driving said, "I hate guns, but I think I'll have to get one after this."

Here's the thing. The Gals NEED to have fun, and usually part of that is use of Alcohol, or "Other". I DO NOT agree for firearm carriers to be anymore 'Toasted' than is legal to drive. I believe that a person with a firearm should be FULLY sober.

To ME the BEST person for that would be the DD.

These things happen everyday to fully sober people, and IF the Gals were a little 'Wound Up', it would probably make it easy pickins for the thug...Bill

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Here's the thing. The Gals NEED to have fun, and usually part of that is use of Alcohol, or "Other". I DO NOT agree for firearm carriers to be anymore 'Toasted' than is legal to drive. I believe that a person with a firearm should be FULLY sober.

To ME the BEST person for that would be the DD.

These things happen everyday to fully sober people, and IF the Gals were a little 'Wound Up', it would probably make it easy pickins for the thug...Bill

I agree. The girl driving was the one that made the comment about getting a gun. She was fully sober and is pregnant. That's one of the many variables that could have made this even more tragic had she been shot.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

I think beech grove firearms (and range) has a women's shooting league. Keep them together and make it a "girls out" event and they might all become very fond of shooting. A win win!
    glad to hear everyone is alright. I'm not gonna add any hindsight advice. Sounds like you now have some serious plans in mind to make sure this never happens again. Also as we all know, sometimes circumstances prevent us from all having a rolling estate in the back 40. With the proper mindset and training we can take back our city from these scum bags. The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun and the mindset and training to use it! Stay safe out there. It's only gonna get worse as we lead up to Christmas. Don't get complacent. Keep your outdoor lights on.

Top Bottom