Wife has come around on firearms; Indy area training courses who cater to women?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    A little back story before I get to my question(s):

When my now wife and I first met, she was somewhat oblivious to the gun/self defense culture. She had never been around firearms as a child, or really even as an adult. She was pretty much naive to the thought that people even carried a firearm around on a day to day basis. The guy she had dated before we met had a handgun, but she only ever saw it. She never shot it, never touched it, etc. We have not been married very long, but have been together about 5 years. Not knowing that she had never even held a gun (the thought never crossed my mind that she wasn't an American...), I invited her to a range day with some friends of mine not long after we had started dating. She wasn't opposed to going, but I later found out that she wouldn't be heartbroken if she never went again.

Since then, I have taken her to the range again.

Cut to today: She had an appointment this morning with L1 for her LTCH fingerprinting. In the time we have been together she has gone from never holding a gun, to shooting them just after we met, to wanting to go our separate ways because of my stance and her non-stance, to forming an opinion on guns and their use in self defense, to asking me (out of the blue) to help her apply for her LTCH and buy a handgun.

I am a horrible teacher. I can learn and figure out a lot of stuff on my own, but when it comes to teaching other people I am absolutely horrible at it. Currently, for me, the safety, handling, manipulating, etc of firearms is just second nature. You get to the point where you do things and don't even realize it and to remember to convey these techniques or nuances when teaching someone, for me, is difficult.

I would like for her, at first, to go through a basic firearms safety class before even considering the thought of her carrying a firearm. It's not that I don't trust her, I just think it's a very good idea given her non-history of firearms. I want her to hear the rules of safety from someone else and have them beat it into her that if you mess up, you can kill yourself or someone else. After this, a basic, entry level self-defense handgun course is on the list. I want her comfortable with the idea and method of safely carrying and shooting a handgun in a defensive situation, not just sending lead downrange. I would prefer a class that caters or is more geared towards women because men's and women's brains just work differently. However, it would not need to be a women's only class because I see her wanting me to go with her, which I don't mind, but an instructor who can speak "woman" would definitely be a plus ;).

In the Indy area:
    What would be a good, basic safety class for her to attend?
    What is a good, entry level self defense class for her to start off with?

I honestly think the Flashbang holster would be the best option for her, are there stores in the Indy area who carry them?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    First, I'm glad you realized you may not be the best teacher. Too many get their ego in it and end up both people just get mad at each other.
    Second, about the holster. It may be best for her, but it probably would be better for her to find out herself. Like the rest, she may go though a few holsters before she finds out.
    Third, I've taken Guy Relford's gun law class and I found it to be very informative. I think I've seen before that he has classes oriented to women.
    Tactical Firearms Training
    [h=5]sat. April 2, 2016 (ecpr)[/h]"Ladies Only" TFT Basic Pistol
    $175

You can ask, several times he's offered an INGO discount, don't know if it was for specific classes or not.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    I would encourage her to attend a meeting for The Well Armed Woman. Safety/gun handling are heavily stressed and every chapter has an NRA Certified Instructor (some have multiple). Plus several of us actually prefer to train other women .

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Parabellum in Avon has ladies only classes three times a week. Monday 12-3, Tuesday 5:30-8:30 and Friday 6-9.. Three hours basic safety and 22 pistols and ammo is furnished for the range portion of the class. We are pretty backed up at the moment (seems a lot of people all of a sudden want to learn to shoot??) but you can call and see what is available. There's also the option of a private class if there is an instructor available when she has free time.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer

[FONT=&amp]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears” Col. Jeff Cooper

ddb40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    Brazil
    ProTEQ has been teaching Women Only Classes for decades. The owner has nearly 50 years of teaching experience and about 11,000 students through his hands. Contact them at their website if your interested... proteq.us... here is a link

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    CR, let me know what you find & I'll see if my daughter can attend with your wifey.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    First...I think you're doing a great job with the wife...letting her 'grow' into it rather than push the issue! I've learned to let my wife ask...and then answer her questions...in the end, she takes charge (ie, has 'ownership') in the decision-making choices...and allows me to provide 'training' (basics anyhow) and show her options she can choose from! It makes for a much more pleasant shooting and 'training' experience for both of us!

Same principles apply to my daughter...and she really wants to learn it!

Gotta say this...I love my wife...and my daughter!

kperry68W

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Myself and brother purchased my mom her first pistol this christmas. Do you have a chapter here in hamilton county? I can teach her basics but feel she would learn much better from someone else.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    Myself and brother purchased my mom her first pistol this christmas. Do you have a chapter here in hamilton county? I can teach her basics but feel she would learn much better from someone else.

If you're referring to The Well Armed Woman, there's a chapter that meets in Westfield. For everyone else reading, there is also a chapter forming in Anderson as well as established chapters that meet at Parabellum (Avon), Eagle Creek, Indy Arms Company (2 chapters right now) as well as a chapter in the works in Greenfield.

https://twawshootingchapters.org/in...er/locate/results&country_id=223&zone_id=3636

Top Bottom