• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bisbobble

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Carmel/Zionsville
    Guns used to be forbidden in the house, mostly due to my wife’s fear of them. I decided several years ago to go about changing that. Long story short, both she and I have been to multiple classes and BOTH carry daily.

She routinely works very late hours. Wednesday night was no exception. It was very late at night (early morning rather) and she was leaving finally. She made sure her LC9 was very handy as she prepared to go home. She got in the truck to come home, LC9 in full view and within easy reach, and attempted to leave the office parking lot.

That’s when a LEO pulled in, nose to nose with her truck, and got out of the car. He approached the passenger window with light in her face. First words out of her mouth, “Just so you know, that is my 9mm there in the console.” His response, “That’s fine, just keep your hands on the wheel.”

He then asked a few questions as to why she was there so late. She answered them calmly. He was satisfied with the responses. She asked what was going on. He said he was responding to an alarm in a neighboring business.
    They bid each other good night, he moved his car and she came home. End of story.

I’m so glad her first encounter with a LEO while armed was a pleasant one. I’ve been working with her for some time and would have hated for her to feel persecuted. I thought the LEO’s approach was good and I’m proud of my wife!

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I wonder how many of the "responding to an alarm" or " you fit a description" reasons are always true? If an officers statements had to hold up in court as the reason for PC to stop or detain you how many times is it a valid reason? I'm seriously asking and not looking for a fight thread. I know we have resident officers here who at least by their own admission say they don't fish and I choose to believe them.. But do other cops fish or fudge the PC? When you hear the same statements like that over and over its just weird but could be true. Alarms go off all the time everywhere. Thanks ahead of time for the educated and CIVIL responses. I'm NoT accusing anyone here.

while I would never self inform (sounds like she didn't have a choice since it was in the open) I will say I like the officers response!! +1 for that!

so basically are you guys trained to ask certain questions to start a dialog? Probably a line vehicle late at night would be "suspicious" in of itself and allow for the stop? (Asking since I have no idea). Either way if it would have been my wife out all alone I would have been happy to hear a cop stopped to check out the situation.

Last edited:

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I wonder how many of the "responding to an alarm" or " you fit a description" reasons are always true? If an officers statements had to hold up in court as the reason for PC to stop or detain you how many times is it a valid reason? I'm seriously asking and not looking for a fight thread. I know we have resident officers here who at least by their own admission say they don't fish and I choose to believe them.. But do other cops fish or fudge the PC? When you hear the same statements like that over and over its just weird but could be true. Alarms go off all the time everywhere. Thanks ahead of time for the educated and CIVIL responses. I'm NoT accusing anyone here.

while I would never self inform (sounds like she didn't have a choice since it was in the open) I will say I like the officers response!! +1 for that!
    Isn't RAS needed and not PC?

Bisbobble

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Carmel/Zionsville
    I wonder how many of the "responding to an alarm" or " you fit a description" reasons are always true? If an officers statements had to hold up in court as the reason for PC to stop or detain you how many times is it a valid reason? I'm seriously asking and not looking for a fight thread. I know we have resident officers here who at least by their own admission say they don't fish and I choose to believe them.. But do other cops fish or fudge the PC? When you hear the same statements like that over and over its just weird but could be true. Alarms go off all the time everywhere.

Very good point, I happen to know the manager of the neighboring business so just went down and asked him. Their alarm was triggered that night. Nothing wrong, just a glitch.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have no issues with a LEO checking late night movements in a business lot. Issue is, had the truck been there all night, had he seen it or was it really as he stated.

Most likely as he stated.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I wonder how many of the "responding to an alarm" or " you fit a description" reasons are always true?

An alarm run or suspect description is going to be broadcast on the radio, and thus recorded in every major jursidiction and most minor ones, and/or put into the computer dispatch system. Defense attorneys can, and do, request and receive CAD notes, radio traffic, etc. How do you think your "catch" goes if its shown your stop was based on a lie and no reasonable suspicion existed for the stop? Your credibility in court? Etc.

Note that we *can* lie in certain circumstances and it have no legal affect. I can tell you I stopped you because I was responding to an alarm, but in my mind I know you are a murder suspect with an active warrant and I just don't want you to know I know until backup arrives. I will document that in the charging information. I still have reason to detain you (the warrant), the reason I gave you wasn't it, but its still a legal stop. In those rare instances, the "why I stopped you" won't be true, but just making it up whole cloth without it concealing a valid reason for a stop won't get you anywhere.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've been stopped and questioned several times in Brownsburg. I work vampire's hours and could be coming or going anytime day or night. I also got pulled over the first time I drove with one headlight due to hitting a deer. Other than the inconvenience involved, no problems here. I've been carrying every time and have never informed, nor have I been asked about weapons on our about my person. I turn the done light on and keep my hands on the wheel and generally do what I can to be non threatening.

It was kind of creepy hearing the last officer say "I know who you are and what you drive" last time though.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    It was kind of creepy hearing the last officer say "I know who you are and what you drive" last time though.

I%20know%20what%20you%20did%20last%20summer-503-thumb-503x271-7757.jpg

Top Bottom