• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    My wife is getting her LTCH soon, and she is HOPEFULLY going to be getting her own handgun too soon after.

She has shot and LOVES her dad's Sig P220 .45 It's a big gun but she loves how smooth it is. She liked the .38 special revolver also, but hated the .40 Taurus 24/7.

Basically, where should we start with her as far as getting hands on guns? Any PERSONAL reccomendations as to some good firearms? She will carry at times, but I doubt much of the time. It will be for home defense and range fun.

9mm (so we can share ammo, lol)? .380?

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Where are you located? My suggestion is to do whatever you can to allow her to shoot as many models as possible. Any specific recommendation you might receive is just what that person likes. If she gets to shoot a bunch and then selects one it will be her choice and she will be much happier. Many INGOers including me would be happy to let her shoot whatever they have. I am in the Lafayette area. I am sure there are folks wherever you live that would do the same.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    The choices and preferences are too numerous; Get with friend or other members on here that are near you if possible or go to a local range where you can rent / try different guns. She needs something she likes and will practice with, shoot regularly and carry. If it happens that you can share caliber (or even better caliber and magazines) that is a huge bonus; but it might me you have to change what you carry, if you're willing to do so.

remember smaller guns that are easily concealed/carried - are often harder to shoot well, and often get shot with less frequency / practice.
    Stuff that's too big to carry gets left at home when you may rather have something smaller. ... it all comes with compromises.

Good Luck! Enjoy the hunt; - and remember - if the first choice isn't what you want - you can always sell/trade up ...

heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    ... - and remember - if the first choice isn't what you want - you can always sell/trade up ...

Amen to that! Sold my first gun and upgraded to a nicer handgun this year. Very happy.

And yea, we just need to get her hands on a bunch of different guns and see what she likes.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    I say get her the sig in the 9mm!!

Here is my thought with my wife, while she is a good shot at the range I do feel Women tend to be easily excitable. (Sorry if that sounds sexist, I know it is a generalization) So I think a good knockdown power with large capacity. The 9mm in a full size is great for them, they have a purse to carry it in so its not like they need to conceal as well.
    This allows them the option of a few extra rounds plus if there is a firefight I know if both me and my attacker run out of ammo I have a better chance in hand to hand combat.

I told my wife she does not need to carry on her hip and ruin her outfits but we got her a holster that works well with many of her purses and she carries it in there.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    No one's opinion matters but hers.

If she loves her dad's Sig look at the P226 in 9mm. Usually the grip on Sigs is a bit large for women's hands and they have to shift their grip a little to use the decocker - honestly it's a reach for my thumb and I have a 9"+ spread. Fortunately, there's no reason to decock quickly.

But she'll have to try them all on and she what fits... Glock 19, M&P Compact, Ruger SR9c would also be on my short list. I would say XD but I've not seen many women who like the fit.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    If she's going to carry sometimes, I'd suggest looking at the mid-size models like the P228/229, Glock 19, etc.

themadmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    My wife really likes the Sig 938 and Ruger SR9c. Agree with comments above about finding and opportunity for her to "test drive" several different ones and figure out what she likes.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    My advice is as follows:

1. Settle out on acceptable calibers. While I lean toward .45ACP and .357 magnum myself, I would probably advise setting 9mm as a minimum adequate standard. My thought is that it will offer a good compromise in size, effectiveness, and being controllable. That said, only one person has to be happy with it.

2. Go to the store near you with the largest selection possible and let her put fingerprints on a whole lot of guns making a list of those she finds to be comfortable in her hand and sufficiently easy for her to operate including operating slides and controls.

3. If possible, find examples of those guns on the list available to take out and fire. Also try them on for carry if she didn't do so at the store during the initial shopping/sorting trip.

4. Let her make a decision on what makes her happy and comfortable with guidance as needed particularly regarding quality and reliability of any particular gun.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Could check for a Meet & Shoot in your area.

Many members would be happy to meet up with you, let you try out their stuff.
    If they knew what area you were in.

Top Bottom