Wife says I should buy a progressive press...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    My wife suggested that when I graduate from graduate school this November that I should buy a progressive press. God, I love that woman! I have been looking at what is available, and I really like the Dillon XL 650. I know the RL 550 is less expensive, but the auto-indexing is very appealing. Right now I am reloading with a Lee touret, which I use as a single stage press. I don't trust the powder thrower enough to use the touret as designed. Too wide a variety of throws. I figure this will end up being the last press I will buy unless I find a used something at a deal too good to pass up. I figure if I buy well this time, I won't have to buy another. I load 9mm and .38. Now the question: Which progressive press has the best quality for the money?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    The current popular progressives on the market right now are (in no particular order):

Dillon XL 650 (ie. Blue religion)
    Hornady lock n load (ie. Red religion)
    RCBS Pro 2000 Auto (ie. Green religion)
    Lee Pro 1000 Progressive (ie. Yellow religion)

Like real religions all have their fanactics and all have pros/cons to them. I have been researching these presses for about 2 months now (don't have one yet; have made up my mind on which one I will get) by reading posts (online), seeing videos, etc..

What I have found out is that the customer service from all the companies is great, the presses work and help is only a phone call away from the companies.

You said "quality" but what do you mean by that?

"Quality" in terms of the life of the press?
    "Quality" in terms of customer service?
    "Quality" in terms of ease of use of press?
    etc??

Do you like to tweet stuff? If so then the LEE is the way for you to go as people have tweeted/mod those to their hearts content.

On the other end of the specturm is the all in one package where you buy everything from one source for your machine: ie Dillon.

In between you have the red and green which with the red compiting more with the blue than the green does.

All are fine presses for the market they are serving. No one press however will have everything/feature you want without some type of weakness.

On this board I think you will find a lot of BLUE fanactics and some RED as well. PM if you want to read from another board where GREEN and YELLOW fanactics are at. I'm not sure if I can/should post that reloading website here. (it's not bad but not proper etiqute me think).

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Dillon XL 650 (ie. Blue religion)
    Hornady lock n load (ie. Red religion)
    RCBS Pro 2000 Auto (ie. Green religion)
    Lee Pro 1000 Progressive (ie. Yellow religion)

And the Lee LoadMaster.

Don't Even think about the Pro 1000.

The Lee LoadMaster works well on a budget (that's what I have). And I got all the turrets and shell plates I wanted for less than one caliber of the Hornady LNL-AP. Changing calibers is not difficult at all, especially if you have an extra powder dispenser (I don't, but I'm the type that empties the powder measure after each use and puts everything away.). And don't believe the comments about the LoadMaster requiring constant adjustment and fiddling. If you can't set up and run something as simple as the LoadMaster you don't have any business loading any progressive press.

I don't shoot 1,000 rounds a week or even in 4-6 months, so the Lee is just fine for my needs. If I had to load more than say 500 rounds in an evening I might be tempted to switch to the LNL-AP or the Dillon 650. In most cases if I load up 250-500 rounds of something in one caliber (except .40S&W) that is enough ammo to last me a year.

Check out these videos to see how fast the LM will run...

YouTube - Lee Loadmaster loading 45 ACP (HD)

YouTube - RCBS Bullet feeder on Lee Loadmaster for 45 ACP (HD)

(this one gets fun about the 5:00 mark)

If you load 100 or less at a sitting, maybe even 200 or less, then the Lee Classic Turret Press would be my overwhelming recommendation.

My buddy just sold all his Dillon 650 stuff (I think he had like 5 or 6 caliber conversions) and is happier with the LNL-AP... "It takes up so much less room" was his comment.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    And the Lee LoadMaster.

Don't Even think about the Pro 1000.

The Lee LoadMaster works well on a budget (that's what I have). And I got all the turrets and shell plates I wanted for less than one caliber of the Hornady LNL-AP. Changing calibers is not difficult at all, especially if you have an extra powder dispenser (I don't, but I'm the type that empties the powder measure after each use and puts everything away.). And don't believe the comments about the LoadMaster requiring constant adjustment and fiddling. If you can't set up and run something as simple as the LoadMaster you don't have any business loading any progressive press.

:+1:

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    as much as I want to CALL BS about someones wife wanting him to buy a progressive reloading press... purely out of envy....

I agree. 650 all the way across the sky.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    My wife suggested that when I graduate from graduate school this November that I should buy a progressive press. God, I love that woman! I have been looking at what is available, and I really like the Dillon XL 650. I know the RL 550 is less expensive, but the auto-indexing is very appealing. Right now I am reloading with a Lee touret, which I use as a single stage press. I don't trust the powder thrower enough to use the touret as designed. Too wide a variety of throws. I figure this will end up being the last press I will buy unless I find a used something at a deal too good to pass up. I figure if I buy well this time, I won't have to buy another. I load 9mm and .38. Now the question: Which progressive press has the best quality for the money?

That was a muffled cry for more time with you...

Are you putting a bullet and case feeder on it? Dillon 650 for sure. I am very happy with my 550, I can load ammo faster than I can afford to buy supplies for it.

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    as much as I want to CALL BS about someones wife wanting him to buy a progressive reloading press... purely out of envy....quote]
    She has her hobby and I have mine. She is into machine embroidery. Her first machine cost $5000. She has a room devoted to sewing. We live within our means. She knows I was the kid that had no toys when I was growing up and very little food. She indulges me and I indulge her. Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm about 7 months away from completing 7 years of full time work and full time school. I think I deserve it....at least that is what I am telling myself.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Also this website does a good comparison of the blue vs red vs green
    Ultimate Reloader

He has all 3 of them and does review on their products.
    There is a side by side pic of what they all look like and how big each are vs the other.

@Kludge I only read page 1 but do agaree with the article already.
    The blue religion is very outspoken compared to the rest.

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    as much as I want to CALL BS about someones wife wanting him to buy a progressive reloading press... purely out of envy....

I agree. 650 all the way across the sky.

She has her hobby and I have mine. She is into machine embroidery. Her first machine cost $5000. She has a room devoted to sewing. We live within our means. She knows I was the kid that had no toys when I was growing up and very little food. She indulges me and I indulge her. Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm about 7 months away from completing 7 years of full time work and full time school. I think I deserve it....at least that is what I am telling myself.

I understand firsthand modelflyer, My wife has an embroidery machine as well. When I told her what I spent on the Dillon 650 she did not even blink an eye. but replied well that's still less than I have in my computer embroidery machine.

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    If her machine cost $5000, maybe you should look at a 1050 too. :)

I think in your case the 650 would be the way to go. Keep your old press, it may come in handy when working up a new load or specialty round.

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    If her machine cost $5000, maybe you should look at a 1050 too. :)

I think in your case the 650 would be the way to go. Keep your old press, it may come in handy when working up a new load or specialty round.

I would vote for a 650 with a couple of caliber conversions before I would suggest a 1050. THe 1050 is the only progressive without a noBS lifetime warranty. (which is exactly what I did. I bought it with 9mm and have already ordered .45 and .223 conversions) :twocents:

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    You are truely one lucky man!!!
    I feel pretty lucky. When I worked in surgery I knew a nurse anesthetist that was married to a lady that was ok with him having guns until they had a child. She was worried about the child (an infant at the time :rolleyes:) getting ahold of a handgun and pressured him into selling all of his guns. Last I spoke with him, he had been amassing a small arsenal of handguns keeping them in the basement without her knowledge. I always wondered how he was going to explain them when she stumbles across them. Ouch. I bet that was a doozy of a conversation.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Just went through all this. I chose the Hornady LnL for the value. I've been very pleased with mine, plus I got 600 free .308 bullets when I get to loading that caliber. All for less money than the Dillon. I'm not sure of anything that I wish mine did that the Dillon does. The one time I needed to call Hornady CS they shipped out the part immediately, free of charge, and were very helpful which seems consistent with both RCBS and Dillon. Just my experience.

Top Bottom