• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    My wife asked me today, "Why don't we own a shotgun?" [Can you believe that?] I had talked before about buying one and never did. She continued by asking, "If I wanted to go out and buy one, could I do that?" I said, sure. She asked about what gauge we should buy. I want something I can use for home protection and something I can use for hunting if I need to. I am not a hunter, but if things change, I want the option to shoot deer slugs or hunt rabbits. I am thinking 12 gauge, but I don't have great reasoning to back that up. I don't want to run to Wally World and get the first shotgun I lay my hands on.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    My wife asked me today, "Why don't we own a shotgun?" [Can you believe that?] I had talked before about buying one and never did. She continued by asking, "If I wanted to go out and buy one, could I do that?" I said, sure. She asked about what gauge we should buy. I want something I can use for home protection and something I can use for hunting if I need to. I am not a hunter, but if things change, I want the option to shoot deer slugs or hunt rabbits. I am thinking 12 gauge, but I don't have great reasoning to back that up. I don't want to run to Wally World and get the first shotgun I lay my hands on.

I have three shotguns, (1) I keep in my truck, it's a pump action MAVRICK 88 12 gauge the other two are BENELLI M1 SUPER 90 semi-auto with 18.5 inch barrel, RIFLE sights, extended mag tube, pistol grip butt-stock. I would use the BENELLI M1 for defense;)

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    I call BS...no wife ever says that!

Seriously though...you cant go wrong with an 870...many accessories readily available, reliable and they dont lose value (just in case that wife sobers up and says she needs money for a new purse)

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    I'd suggest a 12 or 20 gauge for ammo availability. I would also suggest a pump: Mossberg and Remington are probably the most common, and both are good guns that will last a LONG time inexpensively.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Go with a 20 guage. A lot less kick and will still get the job done in home defence or in the field. I doubt an intruder will feel embarrassed about being shot with a little ol' 20 as opposed to a 12. And if he does feel less of a man for it as he bleeds out, so what? The less recoil will allow your wife to practice with it more.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Can we trade wifes? :D
    My wife is more like "why do you need a shotgun for?"
    Im looking at one myself and found out the Mossberg Maverick 88 to be a good choice.Most parts made for the 500 will fit the 88 and its a bit cheaper than the 500.
    I think the 12 gauge is the more common shotgun caliber and therefore easier to find (correct me if im wrong).

MK31023lg.jpg

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'd say go for a 20ga. the wife and kids will have an easier time of it, and its good to learn how to hunt with one, then upgrade to a 12 or stick to the 20 as you feel. My uncle prefers 20 to 12 for bird hunting... idk why, but c'est la vie.

for embarrassing someone with home defence, I'd go for a spear and loincloth, but thats just me.

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    I like semi autos...in 10 gauge. I hunted with an 11-87 for a long time, got hard up for money and sold it. Acquired an 870 and Ive found I tend to use less shells in the field and Ive never had an issue with being too slow with it.

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    Am I the only :ingo: member that likes semi-auto shotguns:dunno: SEMI-AUTO will kick less, shoot faster, you don't have to take your eyes off the sight "like a pump to rack it";)

I have a few autos and a few pumps, and I always tend to go to the pumps more and more...actually i am faster with a pump than anything and doing the racking motion doesn't take anytime at all.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You have a green light from the boss. Don't waste your time on the budget 12 gauge pumps.

Get an 870 Police Magnum in 12 gauge and don't look back.

She will look all dreamy eyed at you for your wise decision.

Then get her training to learn how to handle it. You too....

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Don't disappoint her then, go git you (her) one.

A 12GA is most versatile, but a 20GA is 90% of a 12GA with half the recoil. OK maybe not half.

A youth stock 20GA will fit your lady a lot better than a full-size.

Single shot .410 for rabbits/squirrels.

Top Bottom