• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    You have a green light from the boss. Don't waste your time on the budget 12 gauge pumps.

Get an 870 Police Magnum in 12 gauge and don't look back.

She will look all dreamy eyed at you for your wise decision.

Then get her training to learn how to handle it. You too....

WHOA !!! Those 3.5 inch 12 gauge rounds K I C K like a mule:(

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    Am I the only :ingo: member that likes semi-auto shotguns:dunno: SEMI-AUTO will kick less, shoot faster, you don't have to take your eyes off the sight "like a pump to rack it";)

Take your eyes off the sight? I hunt birds and shoot clays with my pump and Ive never had an issue with that. You dont have to unmount the gun, work the action then remount....maybe Im doing it wrong.:dunno:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    WHOA !!! Those 3.5 inch 12 gauge rounds K I C K like a mule:(

I have never owned or was issued 3.5 inch 12 gauge rounds for my shotgun.

You can shoot 2 3/4 inch rounds out of it. I carried one for twelve years in the squad. Even the smallest female Officer learns how to handle it.

All this talk about the horrible 12 gauge recoil is way out of line. The quality of the 870 Police Magnum is without question.

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    You can shoot 2 3/4 inch rounds out of it. I carried one for twelve years in the squad. Even the smallest female Officer learns how to handle it.

All this talk about the horrible 12 gauge recoil is way out of line. The quality of the 870 Police Magnum is without question.

Here Here!!!!:rockwoot:

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500 in 12 or 20 (I prefer 12 due to ammo availability, and different types) get one with a short barrel 18.5 usually and a long barrel for hunting a rifled barrel can only use slugs correctly but they make slug loads for smooth bore guns and dont get a full choke for the smoothbore if you plan on shooting slugs because they can split and thats no fun most new guns are drilled and tapped for scopes (slugs) from the factory. You can also buy combo sets that come with both barrels

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    20 guage double barrel, pump, semi-auto, single shot, bolt action, combination gun, whatever.

Don't forget she asked you.

We are looking at a Remington 20 guage pump (model #81180 and 81100) as a possibility, for my wife to use for home defense.

It does'nt matter what I like or can handle, it's what makes her comfortable and capable to use for personal defense on her own.

That is the ultimate goal in preparing and protecting your family.

Good luck in your quest.

Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Right on!

I have never owned or was issued 3.5 inch 12 gauge rounds for my shotgun.

Sloughfoot has the right of it. Let her practice with 2 3/4" low brass loads and load up with high brass buckshot or 2 3/4" slugs for the HD duty. In a HD scenario she'd never notice the difference. Knoxx makes a recoil reducing stock that really does work too. 870 is my first choice. The Benelli or Beretta S/A would be a close second. Maybe first choice if she's really recoil shy.

Hap Hazard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    20 is a great gauge but unless you load your own the shells are a LOT more expensive than 12's(recently priced a case of buck in each gauge and the 20's were TWICE what the 12's cost). Get a 12 gauge. You can buy full power shells if that's what you want or "managed recoil" if you want something with a little less kick(the major makers reduced recoil buckshot is very good ammo for anyone). You can also buy the cheapie imported stuff for practice if you'd like, I've seen some of it as low as $80 for 250 shells(wouldn't bet my life on it but for familiarzation I don't think you can go wrong). Spend a few more bucks and screw a limbsaver on the back and you're good to go. Remington 870 or a Mossburg of some flavor get the nod as the best buys out there.

Top Bottom