• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Mooreland
    So, the wife has decided that it is time for her to get a new rifle. Of course, who am I to say no? lol Anyways, we are in the process of replacing her old AR with a new / upgraded version. Her rifle was one of the first builds I had ever done (probably 8+ years ago) and I've learned a ton of what really is good and what isn't. Hence I'll be replacing almost all of the parts on it. Don't get me wrong, the rifle is good and reliable, but it could just be alot better.

Anyways, the goal of the rifle is a simple, lightweight build. The only thing I'm struggling with at the moment is the receivers. I had originally planned on doing an 2A Armament lower / upper (i forget the name, but they had an "ultra lightweight" version), it was expensive, but very light. Seeing as how they seem to have stopped making receivers (or at least you can't order off their site anymore), I need to find another receiver. Any ideas for a lightweight receiver (both upper and lower)? I would prefer not to go polymer, but that is not a strict requirement. Her current rifle is a polymer lower receiver, and it has done well.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    FWIW, you're only saving ~2oz over an Aero Precision upper and lower and only 1oz if you use a slick side upper without the forward assist. I would look other places to save weight.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Just put a faxxon pencil profile 14.5" with the integral flash hider, barrel on about any build you're doing for light weight. You're 90% of the way there after that, as far as making up the majority of the possible weight savings.

jkholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Mooreland
    I decided to build a whole new rifle, since I think I would only really be able to salvage a few little things off it. Besides, its always better to have extra rifles at the house, right? haha

I'm definitely looking at pencil barrels since I doubt she will be looking at the volume of fire that mine was built in mind with. Even then, a good pencil barrel can really handle some heat without real failure. Course, i've also found that were the weight lives also makes a big difference. Like my competition rifle, while not light at all, is light up front and makes it much easier to handle.

I'm also trying to make this a better quality rifle for her as well, since her original, while functional and reliable, is definitely a lower end rifle. So I'm looking at better triggers, a more comfortable rail, stuff to make it overall more pleasant to shoot.

Her current rifle is about 6.2 pounds (with empty mag) and I've found my rifles tend to average around the 7 pound mark. I'm hoping to get this new one under 6 pounds.

At least this is the thoughts that have been bouncing around in my head lately about it.

Top Bottom