• ...and so much more!
  • H.T.

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Fishers -MSG 2
    Ladies and Gents.
    My wife grew up shooting rifles & shotguns. She has little experience with handguns. Recently she decided she would get her latch. I was of course very happy to hear this as I have been saying it for years.
    Hear are my two problems.
    1. My wife wants a 9mm.
    I dislike 9mm more than I can say. I am a .45 man ACP or .45LC I also have a fondness for
    .44 or .357
    2. I have yyes of experience with fire arms. From growing up around them to Actual real world experience with my time as a infantry soldier in the Army.
    The problem is I have a hard time teaching the skills I have learned.

What type & cal. do you carry?

Secondly if you received tactical training. What Company or person did you get it from? How was the training?

Than you all

God Bless.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Ladies and Gents.
    My wife grew up shooting rifles & shotguns. She has little experience with handguns. Recently she decided she would get her latch. I was of course very happy to hear this as I have been saying it for years.
    Hear are my two problems.
    1. My wife wants a 9mm.
    I dislike 9mm more than I can say. I am a .45 man ACP or .45LC I also have a fondness for
    .44 or .357

So what? Its not your gun. Its her gun. She needs to pick it. She needs to be comfortable shooting it. Get over it. [If your issue is the relative "stopping power" of .45 vs 9mm, do some research on wound cavity ballistics and shot placement.]]

2. I have yyes of experience with fire arms. From growing up around them to Actual real world experience with my time as a infantry soldier in the Army.
    The problem is I have a hard time teaching the skills I have learned.

What type & cal. do you carry?

Secondly if you received tactical training. What Company or person did you get it from? How was the training?

Than you all

God Bless.

Check out the Tactics and Training forum. There are a number of local outfits and big names that travel through Indiana. Make a post there telling us about her needs, where you're located, what she wants from a class, etc. We can direct you to a proper training class there. I am always hesitant to recommend training without an understanding of the student's needs.

Better yet, get her to join the forum and ask us herself. I am certain we will welcome her and provide more advice than she can handle. :-)

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    See the following polls (non exhaustive):

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/157136-whats_your_edc_caliber-39.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...g/4927-what_caliber_do_you_usually_carry.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ense/86270-what_caliber_gun_do_you_carry.html

9mm is a very popular caliber amongst INGOers. It's a good value, and with modern bullets in heavy for caliber weights - it's pretty effective.

Can you pick out the two 9mm shots in the photo below?

9mm, 45acp, .40S&W, and 357SIG, are all represented in the pic.

2ioqdx.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    Forcing her into a .45 because that's the gun you want her to shoot is only going to encourage her to not carry it or get involved with it. My wife chose the .380 as her preferred carry round. Do I like the idea? Not really. however, I understand that a .380 that she likes to carry will do her a lot more good than a .40 or a 9mm she hates to shoot. She has since become very comfortable and is ready to move up to a larger caliber. Let the choice be hers.

As far as training goes, I like what Jackson has already said. Look in the tactics and training section and start there if you need a class.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Sig P938 (9mm)
    I like 45 ACP, and have a SIG 1911 compact, but I mostly save it for the nightstand or the range. I don't think a woman's (usually) smaller build lends itself to CC as easily as a man's...JMO.

My husband doesn't have much more experience than me. I know he is trying to help, but it just annoys and frustrates me to hear criticism over and over. I want shooting to be enjoyable. I would like to improve, but don't want it to quit being fun!

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    My husband doesn't have much more experience than me. I know he is trying to help, but it just annoys and frustrates me to hear criticism over and over. I want shooting to be enjoyable. I would like to improve, but don't want it to quit being fun!

Tell him to keep it to himself. Its probably not great advice anyway. ;)

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    See the following polls (non exhaustive):

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/157136-whats_your_edc_caliber-39.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...g/4927-what_caliber_do_you_usually_carry.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ense/86270-what_caliber_gun_do_you_carry.html

9mm is a very popular caliber amongst INGOers. It's a good value, and with modern bullets in heavy for caliber weights - it's pretty effective.

Can you pick out the two 9mm shots in the photo below?

9mm, 45acp, .40S&W, and 357SIG, are all represented in the pic.

2ioqdx.jpg

Third and fourth ones down from the top.

mima07

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    central Indiana
    Sig P938 (9mm)
    I like 45 ACP, and have a SIG 1911 compact, but I mostly save it for the nightstand or the range. I don't think a woman's (usually) smaller build lends itself to CC as easily as a man's...JMO.

Well stated. Shooting should be fun...otherwise the person who owns the gun will never want to practice.

After much well intentioned advice, (".45 has better stopping power, etc...") I settled for a 9mm pistol and also bought a .38 revolver. I enjoy shooting both guns whenever I have time and ammo! The point is I am comfortable with my guns and continue improving shot placement at the range.
    There may come a time I acquire a .45 - I'd really like someday to own a 1911! But my comfort level with firearms had to begin with my acceptance of recoil management, how it felt to load and handle the firearm.

So bug off on the .45. Let her have a 9mm with your blessing. Maybe in a year or so she will love shooting so much she will want your .45 and maybe even a 1911!
    Having a .22 pistol to shoot at the range is a lot of fun too and will help with good pistol basics.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Who cares what you like? ;) if you want her to carry, you'd better make sure she enjoys shooting it. If she likes 9mm, then 9mm it is. A 9mm hole (or five) she will shoot is better than the .45acp hole she doesn't.

9mm is a fine round. She is going to be able to manage the recoil of 9mm much better than a .45. That will make her more likely to practice with the gun and that is very important.

Only if caliber is the only variable. A single stack Commander size 1911 is a whole lot easier to shoot than some of those subcompact double stack polymer beasts. IMO of course.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I think everyone has done a Good job helping you realize it needs to be her choice. One other thing that is often overlooked by the male sector is the proper fit for her hand. If you want her to carry, make make sure the gun fits her hand, she is comfortable with the caliber, and she feels that she can conceal it well with her preferred method of carry - whether she chooses on body or purse carry.

gunlover85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Goshen
    From a wife's point of view I would say let her shoot whatever she wants. She might not be comfortable shooting the guns that you have. My brother was in the Air Force and told me that he would recommend a 9mm for me because it's easier to shoot because I am less experienced. He also explained to me that if I were in a self-defense situation where I had to shoot someone that I would probably have to shoot them more than once to kill them and not to be afraid to do it.
    Just make sure you make this clear to her before she carries it for self-defense.
    Who knows, maybe she will eventually move onto something bigger later on.

H.T.

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Fishers -MSG 2
    After reading the post thus far. I came to realise that I did not factor in types of ammo for the 9mm. All of my combat experience with the .45 & 9mm involved ball ammo. I know that there are small compact .45s..
    However I will let my wife choose the side arm she is most comfortable with.

H.T.

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Fishers -MSG 2
    My wife has chosen a S&W shield in .40 cal. We went up to Barearmes in Noblesville. The service & knowledge is great. My wife has signed up for a basic pistol course with them.
    After our first visit my wife went back up while I was on a Over time shift. She called me afterwards to say how well it went & how help full everyone was including the 4 or 5 customers, who all happen to be cops.lol

Lees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    I've had to remind my husband many times that a gun that is practiced with is much better than a gun that's not. I like shooting some 9mm pistols. With a .45, I can do maybe 6 rounds before my hand starts to hurt enough that I no longer want to shoot at all, not even switching back to a 9mm until a day or so later.

Top Bottom