Wife swears she saw a Mountain Lion Sunday morning in Perry County.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The cougar I spotted 2014 was only 30 yards away and I had a guard rail to gage size, and watched it leap into the woods,...measured the jump...all that data but no hard physical evidence. I saw exactly where it went in the woods and found zero sign at all. You're lucky you've got tracks. Tell your wife I believe her. I've seen two in the 32 years working at NSWC Crane and I spend a good amount of time in the field. The sightings are rare, but they do exist.

The natural resources department here at Crane put cameras in the area for three months - nothing. They're not creatures of habit.

I've not found one eviscerated kill cache'...but I know there are cougars here. Nothing like laying your eyes on one to convince you.

It's not surprising the trail cams failed to catch one considering the home range size cougars maintain. Western cougars have been found to have home ranges as small as 10 sq miles and as large as several hundred square miles. One would expect that the more plentiful food sources and less competition in the east would tend to reduce the size of home ranges but the lack of available mates could mitigate that to some extent. In any case, they cover a lot of territory making catching one on a trail cam a very low probability. Seeing one is rare even where the population is much higher than in Indiana. I have a friend who has worked at Crane for about 7 years and though he has not seen one on the base he has talked to several people that have.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Let's kind of map out the route.....Hopefully an INGO'er can put together a map of sightings with dates and flags...

SLT-Service-Area.jpg

HK see's big cat on Friday in Lawrence County near the White River...Friday night massive storms come through Southern Indiana causing flash flooding throughout the area....Another INGO'er hears second hand that someone spotted a big cat just south of Jasper it seems Saturday...Sunday morning in northern Perry County my wife spots a big cat near the bluffs of Oil Creek......Between Lawrence County and Perry County are large tracks of Hoosier National Forest and numerous waterways and ridge lines running south (as the glacial melt off that carved these hills and streambeds did years ago)......

Looking at this map, knowing the wild areas between HK's sighting and my wife's sighting, knowing the amount of wild land between the two...

It seems perfectly logical to me that on INGO 2017 shall henceforth be known as....

The Year of the Cat.......:)

[video=youtube;tqW4xIr7nj0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqW4xIr7nj0[/video]

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I would die if I saw that on one of my cameras! Great picture!

What'd be cool is if there was like an INGOer who had a son who is a REALLY good artist who could do a pencil sketch of of a Mountain Lion in the habitat we have in Southern Indiana........You know what I mean? Like if I posted a pic of the terrain and then he sketched a a mountain lion walking along a path or perched on a rock....

rimg.php

Or on a tree branch snaking out away from the cliff overlooking the deer trail....

Or in a rock overhang....

rimg.php

Or walking down a creek....

rimg.php

Wouldn't that be cool????? And maybe she could sell chances on INGO to win this piece of art titled "Hoosier Mountain Lion 2017" and INGO donate the money to a cause that is dear to us....

I would buy one for sure...I bet others would as well......I just wish we had someone like that........Technically you are our Den Mother....Can you check around and see if you know anyone that has that kind of talent and skill????:)

Last edited:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    What'd be cool is if there was like an INGOer who had a son who is a REALLY good artist who could do a pencil sketch of of a Mountain Lion in the habitat we have in Southern Indiana........You know what I mean? Like if I posted a pic of the terrain and then he sketched a a mountain lion walking along a path or perched on a rock....

Or on a tree branch snaking out away from the cliff overlooking the deer trail....

Or in a rock overhang....

Or walking down a creek....

Wouldn't that be cool????? And maybe she could sell chances on INGO to win this piece of art titled "Hoosier Mountain Lion 2017" and INGO donate the money to a cause that is dear to us....

I would buy one for sure...I bet others would as well......I just wish we had someone like that........Technically you are our Den Mother....Can you check around and see if you know anyone that has that kind of talent and skill????:)

Oh, he just LOVES when his mom comes up with projects for him. I can ask if he could do something like that when he gets a break in his schedule.

For a wayward traveler, has been so busy he hasn't even had time to update his blog regularly the last couple of months. I know he has at least three drawings to do to mail to me...that he has already been paid for. He is doing a special portrait for me to give to a friend who has been fairly generous in assisting him financially while on this trip. The other two are commissioned drawings for another local person. Shipping from there to here is kind of pricey so I told him to just mail them all together to save $$$.

I'm thinking I may have to go to Serbia if I wish to see him again. I'll have a chat with the artist, but it has to be done at the right time. These artistic types get pretty darn temperamental sometimes. :runaway:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oh, he just LOVES when his mom comes up with projects for him. I can ask if he could do something like that when he gets a break in his schedule.

For a wayward traveler, has been so busy he hasn't even had time to update his blog regularly the last couple of months. I know he has at least three drawings to do to mail to me...that he has already been paid for. He is doing a special portrait for me to give to a friend who has been fairly generous in assisting him financially while on this trip. The other two are commissioned drawings for another local person. Shipping from there to here is kind of pricey so I told him to just mail them all together to save $$$.

I'm thinking I may have to go to Serbia if I wish to see him again. I'll have a chat with the artist, but it has to be done at the right time. These artistic types get pretty darn temperamental sometimes. :runaway:

You're an angel mom45....And remember that "darn temperamental" streak is the well in which he draws his talent....:)

rimg.php

I kind of like this one....:)

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I'll see what I can do. I believe he is currently exploring caves in the Serbian forest somewhere near the Danube based on his last FB post. He said there were bones in the first cave but has not responded to whether or not they were human remains so I hope he survives this adventure.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I'll see what I can do. I believe he is currently exploring caves in the Serbian forest somewhere near the Danube based on his last FB post. He said there were bones in the first cave but has not responded to whether or not they were human remains so I hope he survives this adventure.

Your son is like the last of the Victorian era explorers....I know it's not like this but when I read his posts this is what I see him as lol...

5ce891b23c88fed05ac3b19b743ba9f5.jpg

19828428._SX540_.jpg

cccffeaf947ebcc7198ed11a8fe5dd35.jpg

I'll keep him in my prayers.....The world needs artistic types willing to grab life by the ***** and he surely does.....

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Add a man bun and that could be him! LOL! Some day, I will cut that off or find my clippers when he is sleeping and give him the sort of haircut I gave him as a child. :rockwoot:

I guess I have to be able to reach him to do that though.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    No one on INGO doubts her sighting.....
    Not one of our neighbors doubt her sighting....

The only person that did doubt her sighting is a former DNR employee....I have come to believe that is their default mode on things such as this...

Obviously, he or she is a science denier. This has been settled once INGO says 'yes', it's a thing.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

The only person that did doubt her sighting is a former DNR employee....I have come to believe that is their default mode on things such as this...
    DNR has been denying the existence of big cats for a long time now. They've taken it so much to the extreme that you can show them a trailcam picture with indisputable evidence in the photo that the picture was taken at a property in Indiana and they will not call it a verified sighting, nor acknowledge that sighting. The camera MUST be a DNR owned camera, placed by DNR, and the pictures viewed by DNR before they will even admit to a sighting.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland

Word has it that there's a reason for that, namely that the DNR has been reintroducing cougars on the down low.
    The same thing has been happening of late with wolves.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Word has it that there's a reason for that, namely that the DNR has been reintroducing cougars on the down low.
    The same thing has been happening of late with wolves.

They are using the black helicopters when they arent busy.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    They are using the black helicopters when they arent busy.

Are they the same ones they used to drop the timber rattlesnakes in Perry County with?:)

It's easy to see how that rumor started.....We get A LOT of military aircraft flying pretty low in Perry County...As it was told to me back after WW 2 the US Government contacted the residents of Perry County about getting permission to fly low in the County....2/3d's of the County is Hoosier National Forest and the rest is farm land.....As I understand it there was some sort of compensation allowed for the residents for doing so...

During weed harvest time we get ISP choppers flying low looking for Mary-Joo-Awana plants but I don't think they have much success because the smoke from the meth labs obscures their visibility....We have had a few jets fly over fast and low...And I mean LOW!!! The funniest experience Laura had was one Saturday morning she was in the shack getting her coffee to head out to the porch for her morning ritual (which is how this thread got started I suppose)..I was at the shop and just she and my daughter were there...As she was in the house she felt this sort of thumping feeling in her chest...She could hear nothing but could feel it...Like she was right by a helicopter....She stepped out on the porch and it got more intense....She walked to the end of the porch and stepped out from under it and looked up and she said she saw 10 pair of feet in boots dangling over the side of a Blackhawk helicopter that was just above the house...She said she could see the mud in their treads....She said a couple of the young Ranger's were leaning over as they passed over the house.....Being a patriotic girl she raised her cup of coffee to them and gave a civilian style salute with the tip of her finger above her right eye....She said they grinned and gave her a proper salute...

She called me down at the shop, told me what happened and said, "I love my ******* country.....Our enemies ain't got a chance...."

Fort Campbell is about 130 miles due south as the crow or Blackhawk flies......

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Haven't you heard that global warming has made it too warm even in Maine for moose to survive anymore? Given that Indiana much farther south and obviously much warmer, we should expect any secret deliveries of large ungulates to be of a tropically adapted variety.

Expect to see moose soon too.

mr_00154-copy.jpg

Top Bottom