• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    When my wife first decided that she wanted a handgun, the first thing I did was remove myself from the initial decision making process. I asked a trusted friend with a decent collection of handguns in various shapes, sizes and mode of operation to come over, and let her fondle his guns. After a few hours (and I dont even know how many $ in ammo) she had acquainted herself with a variety of guns, from a .22 all the way up to a S&W 626 4", with full house .357s. She narrowed her first down to either a Walther P-22, or a 1911, as she did not initially like revolvers at all. After a little searching, she ended up with a PK380, because she did not feel comfortable with the .22 as a SD caliber, and the 1911s that she liked were a bit out of the price range she wanted to stick with. Today, last count, she owns 4 semi autos, ranging from a pocket 380 to a full sized Taurus PT-92, not to mention her snub-.38 and her Taurus .44 mag. She has grown fairly proficient with all of them, at least well enough that any of them will fill the purposes that she has chosen any of them for.

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    My wife and I looked at several different pistols for her first carry gun. We looked at mid to small framed autos and revolvers. After much trial and error she decided that she wanted a revolver.

We then looked at different options. She wanted one that was easy to shoot that she would enjoy shooting with. We are big believers that if you enjoy something you will do it more! I found a mint S&W 66-2 in 2 1/2 inch. Took it to a fantastic gunsmith who smoothed the already smooth trigger pull for her. Bottom line, she loves it!

Take the time and let her try lots of different guns and grips. Shoot as many different ones as you can. You will find the right one! Good luck!

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I have revolvers and a couple of semi autos. I carry the revolver. I am most comfortable with that. Most women do not carry what their men will carry. I said most which does not mean all. So therefore please let the woman pick out her own gun so she will be happy with it. It will be hers and she has to be comfortable with it. I do have trouble with racking some of the guns like some women. I found the SIG's and the Walthers to rack easier. Good luck and she is already a smart one if she wants her own gun.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    revolvers are not a begginers gun. J frames especially. that trigger has a huge learning curve. If she ever needs to reload, I can guarantee it it won't be in a hurry.

Get a glock, FN, or M&p she is comfortable, Get a crossbreed, comptac Minotaur, Kholster or similar holster.

If she isn't comfortable carrying a loaded round talk her out of carrying till she is. Their are hundred of videos out their of people getting killed/beat/robed, becuase they didn't learn their safeties, or they didn't get the pistol racked in time.

if she insists on using a manual safety, talk her into a class that will teach her the limitations of manual safeties, and how to work around them.

Muscle memory is a IMHO a bad idea, teach her to think. Let her think through the process.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Another reason women like revolvers is because hammerless ones can be fired from within a purse without exposing the weapon. Women can handle slides, but if they have long finger nails it could be harder. I would start by showing her the Ruger LCR. No worries about slides or jamming, and plenty of power.

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    revolvers are not a begginers gun. J frames especially. that trigger has a huge learning curve. If she ever needs to reload, I can guarantee it it won't be in a hurry.

I respectfully look at it a little differently. My wife loves her 2 1/2 inch "K" frame and has shot enough rounds through it to definately not be considered a beginner. She is also very fast and smooth with her HKS Speedloaders.

She got skillful and fast through lots of training. She trained a lot, because we got her a pistol that she loved to shoot and had fun with.

She is physically unable to manipulate many semi autos that would be suitable for her to carry so we found what she liked and trained hard. She was at the range today for 100 rounds of bullseye and some other drills. Beware the Lady, and do not shoot against her regarding who is doing the laundry when you get home! Long story, I've got to go fold clothes now....

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    First Question... Are you still carrying the same gun you started with initially?

My wife started with a S&W 642 because she couldn't rack the slide easily on my G17 (or most of the other guns she tried). She picked it out after hours at the local shop. She shot it regularly, couple times a week for a month.

I bought a Glock 26 for CC and she got to shoot it last week. After using the 642 for a while, she got stronger and more confident, and could rack the G26 with no problem. She also has better control (tighter pattern) because the trigger pull is lighter.

Needless to say the 642 is now for sale, and I'm looking for another G26:dunno:

Moral of the story... Let her pick her own gun, but don't be surprised when she is ready to 'upgrade' as her skills/confidence increase. Also, if you want to keep your gun, don't let her shoot it.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    When why wife wanted to start carrying she initially thought about carrying in a purse...but she did not like the idea of the firearm being off her person.

Now my wife enjoys shooting, but is not a die hard of firearms...
    We tried different calibers first...
    .22, .380, .38 special, 9mm, 45acp...

Overall she could shoot the 9mm very accurately, loved the G19!
    However its a bit large for her to conceal on her person, and she decided against carrying in a purse.

Now I know the M&P Shield was just released...but she fell in love.
    Check out the link here:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...w_m_and_p_shield_9mm_review_range_report.html

There are pictures of her, and on her frame size it fits her extremely well!
    Just my thoughts!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Debatable.

Get [STRIKE]a glock, FN, or M&p[/STRIKE] what she is comfortable with, Get a [STRIKE]crossbreed, comptac Minotaur, Kholster or similar[/STRIKE] holster that works with her carry choices and fits her comfortably.
    There. That's better.

If she isn't comfortable carrying a loaded round talk her out of carrying till she is. Their are hundred of videos out their of people getting killed/beat/robed, becuase they didn't learn their safeties, or they didn't get the pistol racked in time.
    Makes a pretty good argument for a revolver, then, doesn't it?

if she [STRIKE]insists on[/STRIKE] prefers a firearm using a manual safety, [STRIKE]talk her into a class that will teach her the limitations of manual safeties, and how to work around them.[/STRIKE], remember to focus some of the range time on creating the muscle memory of disengaging it.
    Is it 'your way or the highway' with everything or just firearm related choices? :D

I'm not fan of them myself, mostly because I am so comfortable and familiar with Glocks that I am afraid my muscle memory with Glocks will be what I fall back on if I need to unholster. It's one of the reasons I chose to stop carry the 1911. I was just sure I'd flub it.

HOWEVER. People are successful when they are comfortable with something. If having that manual external safety is what buys her peace of mind to be able to carry, then by God you put a gun with a manual external safety in her hands and teach her how to shoot it effectively and efficiently, including the draw. You don't tell her she's doing it wrong and force upon her an uncomfortable and discombobulating way of carrying.

With respect, your advice kinda stinks.

Muscle memory is a IMHO a bad idea, teach her to think. Let her think through the process.

Bad idea based on what?

Think through what process? That she has less than 2 seconds to draw (and fire????) and you want her to use up 1.1 of those cognitively analyzing her actions? Somebody needs to think about something, for sure, but it ain't OP's wife. ;)

If she has to draw for defense, the safety should come off. Period. What's there to think about?

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    If she really wants it (The gun, that is.), then sit down and discuss what your price range is going to be and whatever it is you can afford, set that price range. After you do, take her to a gun shop and have her put her hands on EVERY SINGLE GUN within that price range.

You can go walk around the store, and let her compare for herself what's comfortable and what isn't for HERSELF.

I would NEVER tell what my wife to carry. I can give her suggestions on what I think works for me (Granted, we have the same size hands) but she has to be confident in her own gun and her own skills to operate it.

Any shopkeep worth their salt will let her put hands on everything in the counter. If they won't... find another shop.

Don't buy the gun FOR her. Let her choose.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I have small hands and I can tell you what hasn't worked for me...

(Grip too large and just not a fan of it in general)
    Smith & Wesson Model SW40VE

(Grip too large but I did like the gun itself)
    Glock 26

Grip fit fine but HATED shooting it for any length of time.
    Keltek PF9

One I have looked at but not shot was the SigSauer P238 It was on my list until I shot the following gun.

I will be purchasing the new Smith&Wesson M&P Shield this Friday. I was able to shoot it this past weekend and the few rounds I put through it were fabulous! I've seen it anywhere from $410 to $430ish so far. Check with our Site Advertisers here and see if they can help you out if you are interested in this one. I'm picking mine up from Bradis.

As many have and will continue to tell you, it's important that she pick it up and try it out. What works for you or me, may not work for her. There are many here on the board that will also be happy to let her shoot their gun(s).

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    This is what my wife has. She's 73 and she can't rack a slide or handle too much recoil. This one suits her well. It's a Charter Arms undercover lite.

53824.gif

rustygunner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Columbus
    She really needs to handle and if possible, fire several different models.

After buying and selling more than a couple handguns, my wife ended up liking a Springfield XD-9 (bought several years ago and she shoots it quite a bit). Still never really found a EDC for her. Guy at the range last weekend loaned her a Kahr PM9, and she loved it. Guess I have a LCP for sale now.

rustygunner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Columbus
    Whatever you do, don't just go out and buy her something (like I did a couple times), or go with whatever the guy at the shop says is popular with women (did that too).

ipswervy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Somewhere Indiana
    It's expensive (over $1000), it's light (24 oz), and has the sweetest DA trigger on earth - THE PARA ORDNANCE STEALTH 45ACP CARRY SAFE (LDA). She will love you and you will love it.

Top Bottom