• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wethepeople

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Shelby County
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Wife has small hands but still can shoot my Berretta 92. Doesn't like the weight of it or the size but she can handle it. Have taken her to a few stores and she likes the way the Ruger LC9 feels in her hands and likes the weight of the 380 better. Her concern is knock down capability. She doesn't want to have to unload a clip to stop someone who is attacking. I have been told the 380's have a tendency to jam. Thanks for the help!

patricktjms

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Springport, Indiana
    I wouldnt be afraid of a sub compact 380 or a 9mm. Get her what she is comfortable with and what she will WANT to practice with.

Knock down power means nothing if you arent comfortable enough with the weapon to use it properly.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Let her pick whatever she is most comfortable with. At least then she won't mind shooting at the range for practice. You might remind her that some length and weight will help tremendously with felt recoil, even if it is slightly more weight to carry around.

While a .380 isn't a bear killer, I wouldn't want to stand in front of it. That said, NO handgun rounds are really all that effective. She may be best served with anything she can shoot well with.

I've never heard of a .380 jamming more than anything else. Just be sure to buy something of quality, rather than what is cheapest.

That's all I've got! +1 for a wife that will carry!

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    My wife carries an M&P Shield in 9mm.

http://youtu.be/oEzjm_YfI0k

As you can see, she has no problem controlling the recoil

Another good quality 9mm would be the new Springfield XD-S they put out in 9mm or a Glock 26.

They reason we stayed away from the Kel-tec PF9 and the copy LC9 that Ruger put out is they aren't made to do a lot of shooting and we believe any gun you carry you should shoot A LOT!

Just my :twocents:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    my wife enjoyed shooting the G19, and her hits improved w/ it compared to a beretta 92 or 1911. The shortened grip was actually not at all short for her hands; fit her quite well, actually.

-rvb

lobowind

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    West of Indy
    If your wife has small hands, I found that the Glock 26 Gen 4 felt more comfortable in my hand than the Glock 26 Gen 3. Being able to switch out for the flush backstrap on the Gen 4 was a better fit for me.

wethepeople

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Shelby County
    Thanks for the info and especially the video. I like the quality reputation that springfield has. Kind of explains why the rugers are quite abit cheaper. Sure is a help being a member here!

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    My dad carried a LC9. Very nice gun, simple easy to use. I can't remember how many rounds it held (10 maybe).

As far as Ruger quality, I've never had any trouble out of them. Just because they're less expensive doesn't mean their "cheap". JMHO though.

armedhoosier451

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Greensburg
    My wife bought the LCP all on her own. She thought because the gun was small so would be the recoil, albeit that the LCP is pretty jumpy which she didn't like. We went out shooting with her cousin, and she really liked his FNS-9. She also liked the feel of the M&P9 when we were at the last 1500. Looks like she might be going with a larger 9mm next!:draw:

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    You might look at a Bersa Thunder .380? I have a friend who owns one and its a pretty good little gun. I have shot it multiple times, i like the feel of it, the recoil is nice and it seems to be very well made.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    You might look at a Bersa Thunder .380? I have a friend who owns one and its a pretty good little gun. I have shot it multiple times, i like the feel of it, the recoil is nice and it seems to be very well made.
    My oldest daughter has carried this(bersa thunder) 6 years or so. she's confident with it, and I feel confident she can do some damage with it if the need arises.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Only suggestion I'd make is - have her SHOOT some of the options she like - before she buys one if she can - Shooting is DYNAMIC ...
    My wife at first liked the first EDC choice in the store - we bought it (it was more for me, but I wanted us to have matching guns if possible) ... she HATED it when she finally shot it. We have switched. Our daughter is looking - I am having her try (not just hold in store) a variety - so she gets 'what works' first go-around.

but remember - you can always sell and try something different later;

SockMonkey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    My wife bought the LCP all on her own. She thought because the gun was small so would be the recoil, albeit that the LCP is pretty jumpy which she didn't like. We went out shooting with her cousin, and she really liked his FNS-9. She also liked the feel of the M&P9 when we were at the last 1500. Looks like she might be going with a larger 9mm next!:draw:

I have a S&W Sigma 9. I like it, but it's a bit heavy for my EDC. I'm seriously looking at a DB9. I'd like to feel a Beretta Nano, but I can't find anybody that has one to let me hold. I really like the overall feel of the DB9 though, and it's small enough to fit in a purse.

joneser49

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 6, 2011
    southern Indiana (ohio river)
    Wife likes her Glock 19, but she won't carry it, so it stays in her car. She loves and carries a Ruger SR22. I know it is small caliber and rimfire is less reliable than centerfire, but she shoots it often and is not scared of the recoil.

DC47374

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Richmond, IN
    I let my wife shoot all of my semi-autos, but they weren't for her. Too hard of a time clearing a ftf/fte when I put the scenario in. She decided a revolver was the way to go for her.

Gwenaviere

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    I agree with all of the previous posters. Get your wife what she is comfortable with and what she will enjoy shooting. I can understand how she feels. I am a petite female myself with small hands. I also have a slight hindrance when it comes to picking a handgun. I have a double thumb so I have issues with the safety. I currently carry a S&W 38 Special that I love and am looking to get a 9mm next. I do hope that your wife finds a handgun that she enjoys and is comfortable with for both fun and protection.

Nelg

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    Elkhart
    My wife has a Bersa Thunder 9 UC and a Ruger LCP .380. She shot the Ruger LC9 and the M&P 9mm shield yesterday. She shot about 100 rounds through all three 9mm. She liked the Bersa the best for shooting but liked the Shield almost as well but felt the shield would easier to EDC.

Top Bottom