• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    My wife has recently become extremely interested in her own protection, I leave a 1911 locked and cocked for her while she is home alone but recently she's been complaining about it. She doesn't like the size and weight of the pistol. I've been telling her about the S&W 642 and she's interested - I've yet to take her to the shop and let her pick one out since I just heard about this today. I'd like to swing into action while she is interested, something tells me moments like this are rare.

Are there any ladies, or men that know ladies that carry around here? If so, what do you suggest for a carry rig for a dainty 100lb 5'2" female to carry comfortably and most of all, CONCEALED.

Any input will be greatly appreciated by both she and I.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I went through a similar thing with my wife where she wanted to carry but didn't want to carry what I carried. I figured I was better off having her armed with a weapon that she was comfortable with and let her have her way. She stole my glock 19 and now she wants a pistol grip on the shotty. I'm willing to compromise.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    The 642 is unpleasant for many shooters. I would have her shoot one before buying one. Trust me. Been there. Done that. Was very, very wrong.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    The 642 is unpleasant for many shooters. I would have her shoot one before buying one. Trust me. Been there. Done that. Was very, very wrong.

Yeah, the J frames are a handful with inexperienced shooters. I haven't shot one since I graduated from Hi-Point school but remember it being VERY snappy.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    What I need to do is back down; I keep recommending things to her that I know I like. I need to just stand back and let her pick what she will be comfortable with.

The LCP seems like a good choice, also I know the G26 she won't like - she shot my XD9SC and hated it ( too bulky and jumpy for her ). So I'd imagine the G26 will be the same outcome. For the record, I like the G26's :)

She doesn't like my Sig P239, either =/

What kind of holster would you guys recommend?

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    My wife started slowly into the world of firearms. Her first pistol was a pink Walther P22... Yes pink. After some time, she decided that she needed more firepower and purchased a Bersa 380CC. After a spring malfunction in the Bersa (a known issue), she decided that she wanted a reliable revolver. She now carries a Ruger LCR and is absolutely in love with her firearm.

Although my wife was surprised by the little LCR's recoil, she learned to master it with a new grip method. She also learned to "stage" the sweet DA trigger and can maintain baseball sized groups at 15-yards.

My wife usually carries her LCR in the outside zipper pocket of her Vera Bradley purse (it's a perfect fit). If she isn't carrying a purse, she would have her LCR in a soft Uncle Mikes IWB holster.

rugerlcrchanel.jpg

Last edited:

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Moved to the Women & Firearms section, where this topic is covered and recovered about twice a week.

Take her to a shop, preferably one with a range, and have her fondle as many as she has tolerance for. Then have her shoot them. Alternatively, find a friend or friends with a decent selection of handguns, head to a range, and let her shoot them. Either way, let her decide. SHE is going to carry it, not you.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-buying_a_gun_for_the_women_in_your_life.html

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I'll see if I can get my wife to weigh in on this one. She carries a Beretta Tomcat (her gun) when she's concealing. XD40 (my gun) sometimes when I'm carrying something else. I bought it for her because I knew she would like it and if she didn't, that I could use it for a BUG. Never works out the way I planned, and she lets me know every time she catches me with it that it is her pistol.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I have let several gals shoot my glock 19 with a big win for shooting, and a big lose for for working the slide. My wife has the 642, but if I would do it all over again... I would have gone with a .22 mag revolver. I say I only because she had no interest in fondling several guns, she would have just picked on out that was pretty and shiny!

LoveMyRuger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    Southside Indy
    SP101 vs S&W 638

If she is thinking about a revolver, I'd like to suggest looking at the S&W 638 Bodyguard due to the fact it has a spurless hammer but can also be used DAO. I took my new SP101 hammerless to training at Jim Heath's. I thought with all those hours of research I had picked the just the right gun for me.......but double action only just doesn't work for me. Jim suggested in the last "test" that I use a teammate's S&W and shoot single action....I fell in love...and was the only one in the class to hit all ten metal targets!! I bought my 638 Bodyguard soon after and I shot it SO MUCH better than DAO. Then I had Ruger add a hammer to my SP101 and I still shoot the 638 better than my Ruger. These are the first shots I fired with the 638 (the shoulder is what I was aiming at). It's a great little gun and fits in several different purses/pockets. Good luck!

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    My wife recently bought a Walther PPS and seems to really enjoy it. She had tried my SP101 as well as a J-frame I used to have along with my Glocks but likes the PPS best.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008

^ that.

I love the SP101. Not much bigger, but much more comfortable (to shoot).

And I agree that she should "try before buying". Better yet enroll her in a class so she can try the ones that fit her hand.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    My wife is about 102-105lbs, 5.2 and very petite. She carries a Walther PPS and most of the time you don't have the slightest idea she is packing.

Top Bottom