• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    I signed up for Comcast internet and had them install service with a comcast modem/router. Although I'm only paying for 50 mbps, I would get as high as 90 thru wifi.

I decided to get my own modem/router to save myself the rental fee. I got a netgear 300, which is supposed to handle over 300 mbps. Unfortunately, it gives me less than 10 mbps with wifi. I plugged my laptop directly into the modem and was able to get 90 again. I know wifi won't be as fast as a direct connection, but why am I getting less than 10, when I had 90 with Comcast modem..when my new modem should handle 300? I changed channels on the wifi, which helped a little, but what else can I do?

qstyk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2012
    The thing that stinks about WiFi, is that it could be a million different things. A couple of things to bear in mind:

* Just because you see a strong signal from your WiFi router doesn't mean your WiFi router sees a strong signal from you. Obviously, it's bi-directional communication and with different antenna arrangements, it's possible that the return signal isn't as detectable by your wireless router.
    * Different settings may be in place. Do you have it set for 802.11B, G, N, or AC? There's backward compatability, but each of them has it's own speed limitation. If it comes out of the box restricted to an older technology or is in a "compatibility" mode, enabling support for legacy 802.11B devices, it'd be a good idea to change that, if you don't have any old-school devices.
    * Even 802.11N technology isn't created equal. It can use either the 2.4 or 5 GHz spectrum. In the case of the former, it could be an issue with channel conflicts with other devices or the latter, it could be a signal propagation issue.

There could be other factors as well, but that's off the top of my head and the most likely to bear fruit.

Hope all is well.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    wifi has an incredible overhead. a 54mbit rated connection will only render about 15-25mbits of ACTUAL throughput.

what model wifi radio does your laptop have inside? if its an older wifi radio, it could be the reason. easy enough to fix... a small usb add-on adapter could be easily installed to fix the issue.

Also, to rule out an issue with your router, take a speed reading from the wired port of the router, not the modem.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    * Different settings may be in place. Do you have it set for 802.11B, G, N, or AC? There's backward compatability, but each of them has it's own speed limitation. If it comes out of the box restricted to an older technology or is in a "compatibility" mode, enabling support for legacy 802.11B devices, it'd be a good idea to change that, if you don't have any old-school devices.
    * Even 802.11N technology isn't created equal. It can use either the 2.4 or 5 GHz spectrum. In the case of the former, it could be an issue with channel conflicts with other devices or the latter, it could be a signal propagation issue.

802.11N 2.4ghz

My comcast modem had both a 2.4 and 5 signal. I got about 50 mbps down on 2.4ghz and 90 down on 5 ghz.

I suppose the fact that I only have 2.4 now would account for why I'm not getting 90 mbps, but I had 50 with the old modem on 2.4 ghz and 10 with the new one.. makes me think there is still a problem.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    what model wifi radio does your laptop have inside? if its an older wifi radio, it could be the reason. easy enough to fix... a small usb add-on adapter could be easily installed to fix the issue.

Also, to rule out an issue with your router, take a speed reading from the wired port of the router, not the modem.

The speed measurements I am referring to are from my samsung galaxy s4 phone using the speedtest app

It is a modem/router combination unit.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That's reasonable for wifi speeds. The only way to go faster is to use a faster wifi technology like 802.11ac.

And dont sweat the download tests too much. Many websites use bandwith management systems to limit how fast you can download from them on a per-connection basis. So after a certain point, it doesnt matter how fast your connection speed is.

Thats why I laugh at the ads for gigabit and multi gigabit internet service. That is like having your water main upgraded to a 6" pipe when the pipe it connects to is only a 3". Yeah, you have insane speeds, but if you cant use it because everything downstream is slower... :dunno:

I dont recommend more than 25-50mbit service for single people. Now if you have a family that is all on at once, >25 can be handy because you will have many connections at once.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...I changed channels on the wifi, which helped a little, but what else can I do?

I have had issues with my linksys/cisco router before needing upgraded firmware to give much better wifi speeds. There is actually alternative to factory firmware that I have yet to try.

My router must be OK on the firmware presently as my WIFI speed testing compares very closely to hard wire cabled network speeds:

4973663770.png

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    One other thing to mention for everyone's info on the topic of high speeds... Cheap routers like Linksys and others may not be able to keep up with some of the mega speeds providers are now offered. Some routers' CPUs are just not powerful enough to keep up. But that will be seen on both the wired and wireless interfaces.

I found that a cheap Linksys router sometimes maxes out at around 55mbits through the firewall port.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    One other thing to mention for everyone's info on the topic of high speeds... Cheap routers like Linksys and others may not be able to keep up with some of the mega speeds providers are now offered. Some routers' CPUs are just not powerful enough to keep up. But that will be seen on both the wired and wireless interfaces.

I found that a cheap Linksys router sometimes maxes out at around 55mbits through the firewall port.

What brand and model would be worthwhile to attempt to wring out more speed?

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Wouldn't comcast have to send out a new "update" to your non concast router to inform it you are paying for a higher speed?

I know when I change speeds (I play their game of switching speeds to keep my bill low) they have to send an update so to speak through and that is what controls the speed.
    Well that plus what equipment you are running with.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Brandon, the speeds are controlled by the modem, not the router. The router will consume all it can. As soon as you upgrade service the modem should get an update to allow more speed.

Bear in mind if you subscribe to >100mbit service, you need to make sure your router has gigabit ethernet ports all around otherwise you will cap out at 100mbits.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Ive had excellent results with these routers. Not cheap, but not horrifically expensive.

Simple & secure Wireless N routers and 802.11ac wireless technology for your home or business network | Buffalo Americas

And their newest high speed wifi stuff:
    Buffalo - Wireless Technologies - Performance Matters

Thank you again for the advice sir!

Now the question is whether new hardware will bring speed increases that my years old, yet higher end, (WRT310N) Linksys cannot?

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    That's reasonable for wifi speeds. The only way to go faster is to use a faster wifi technology like 802.11ac.

And dont sweat the download tests too much. Many websites use bandwith management systems to limit how fast you can download from them on a per-connection basis. So after a certain point, it doesnt matter how fast your connection speed is.

Thats why I laugh at the ads for gigabit and multi gigabit internet service. That is like having your water main upgraded to a 6" pipe when the pipe it connects to is only a 3". Yeah, you have insane speeds, but if you cant use it because everything downstream is slower... :dunno:

I dont recommend more than 25-50mbit service for single people. Now if you have a family that is all on at once, >25 can be handy because you will have many connections at once.

I looked at my comcast modem/router and it is indeed 802.11ac. I can understand that I may need newer equipment, by why does the box say it handles up to 340 mbps? Granted, I get 90 on my laptop with ethernet, but only 10% of that through wifi? I guess I should have researched modems a bit more before spending 100 bucks for what I thought was more than I needed. It did worry me at unboxing time for the new unit that it was quite a bit smaller than my comcast modem/router.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    I looked at my comcast modem/router and it is indeed 802.11ac. I can understand that I may need newer equipment, by why does the box say it handles up to 340 mbps? Granted, I get 90 on my laptop with ethernet, but only 10% of that through wifi? I guess I should have researched modems a bit more before spending 100 bucks for what I thought was more than I needed. It did worry me at unboxing time for the new unit that it was quite a bit smaller than my comcast modem/router.

it is entirely possible that your ROUTER handles it just fine - but the wireless setup on your laptop can't do that kind of speed. I would talk to a friend with a more modern laptop (or you can get a USB unit or something) and try that.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Interference may be an issue as well. How many access points can you see? What channel are you on and what channel are they on? Wireless is pretty complex.....

Top Bottom