• trillobite

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Muncie
    WikiLeaks exposes true origins of Mexican cartels' weaponry

by Jim Shepherd

The idea that we'd ever find WikiLeaks information relevant to the protection of United States citizens' gun rights wasn't anywhere on our radar when the NSSF's Larry Keane tipped us off to some disturbing information gleaned from leaked State Department documents.

According to State Department cables, the Mexican drug cartels are getting their weaponry from an international operation, with the cartels getting military weapons through various government channels. Some of those weapons did, in fact, come from the United States, but they weren't the result of the "gun show loophole" straw-man purchases or any of the other individual criminal acts anti-gun groups would have you believe.

Large quantities of those US weapons -everything from rifles to machine guns, grenade launchers, explosives and ammunition, came from purchases by the government of Mexico from the United States. As the underpaid, undermanned and undermined soldiers of the Mexican army skipped out on the military to put their training to work for the cartels, they took their issued-arms with them.

Others come from weapon buys from guerilla groups in South and Central America that are then smuggled into the country.

No specific numbers on how many of those guns "recovered in Mexico and traced back to the United States" were, in fact, military purchases, but the State Department cables indicate a portion of the fewer than 12 percent of the traceable weapons actually came from the United States in gun shop/individual type purchases. Remember, that's not 12 percent of the tens of thousands of weapons recovered - it's only 12 percent of the weapons recovered that were traceable. It's nowhere near the 12 percent figure that has been misquoted and used as evidence of the United State's "horrific" problem of illegal gun sales.

A buddy on another forum posted this, from The Outdoor Wire.
    River of Guns Winds Through Some Interesting Spots : The Outdoor Wire
    Hey, can we get in on a group buy like that?:dunno:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The credibility of your leadership, easier to believe crack heads on a bender these days. :rolleyes:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I expect to see this on the front page of the NY Times and the Washington Post. They happily played up some of the other stuff from Wikileaks.

Okay... not really.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    Since I have signed the paperwork that says I won't touch classified info that I shouldn't have access to, I can't verify this myself. Would somebody fact check this for me?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Best to hid in the bunker boys and girls. Soon the INGO crowd that was called for the wikileaks leader's head will be out in full force saying these type of secrets should not be out and about. :rolleyes:

We (gun owners) have know for a long time that the Mexican cartels are NOT getting their guns from US gun shops. This is nothing new but it now does show that the .gov knew the truth and yet played along with the media to lie to the public.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Since I have signed the paperwork that says I won't touch classified info that I shouldn't have access to, I can't verify this myself. Would somebody fact check this for me?

I can confirm there was a surge of Mexico related releases recently, but I have not had the time to go through all of them. I can verify at least one recent release mentioning Mexican Army officials providing weapons to the cartels, and I can confirm having seen releases in the past referencing fully automatic weapons, grenades, etc, most of which were acquired from the military.

I have yet to see a release that directly links US involvement, but as I stated, I havent gone through many of the recent releases. I also think it is a fair assessment, and one that this article and others seem to have drawn as well, that the weapons acquired from the Mexican military could have been US Government supplied, purchased from US companies, etc. Not that this is news to anyone.

I will try to go through some more of the releases yet tonight and post back if I find anything.

DodgebyDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Ahahhahahhaha someone is trying to claim Mike Vanderboegh's work as their own.

Aka "Project Gunwalker".

TL/DR:

Batfe on "someone's order's" (tied with documentation to Eric Holder), using an FBI informant's gun shop, starts sending guns into Mexico. Agent Terry of the ICE get's shot and killed by one of these guns. Many questions to follow. Senator Grassley wants answers under oath. Followed by much squirming and spin.

For the entire juicy story please see:

Sipsey Street Irregulars: Updated Summary, Narrative, Condensed Timeline and Document Sources of the “Project Gunwalker” Scandal.

Mike and David Codrea began working on this long before wikileaks.

Top Bottom