• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blhawk1077

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Greenfield, IN
    Took my babys (Mr. AK and Mr. AR) out today for a little fun with the nice weather. My son who just turned 7 got to shot his first actual guns (Mr. AK and Mr. AR) today that were not airsoft or pellet. He loved it! I am proud of him, he did great and very responsible! :ar15:

Big Country

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Downtown
    Range

I would like to go out to the range there. Do you need to bring your own targets or target stands? I cannot find any detailed information about that range.

blhawk1077

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Greenfield, IN
    They have stands you just need to bring your own targets. It is a decent place to go. They have 25 and 50 yard ranges. Hey and it is free, their hours are from 8-5 Wed through Sunday. Closed Monday and Tuesday.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Sounds like a great time with your son! PRICELESS!! I used to go to Wilber Wright almost every weekend before my daughter went off to college. Not the same without my shooting partner. Enjoy your son while you can, they grow up too fast!

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Here is an overhead view of Wilbert Wright...
    newcastle.jpg

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Wilbur Wright is a pretty good little place for outside shooting and you can't beat the price of being FREE. The only downside I have ever had is one of the DNR guys who is a range officer or observer is a real jerk.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Oh ya. The old guy with the crooked teeth. He's kicked me out TWICE.

Once: Put the card I filled out in the box... instead of keeping it in my pocket and then placing it in the box while leaving.

Twice: Fired my .22 while on the shotgun range.

Both times I was told never to come back. Still my favorite place to shoot though! :-)

And no I wasn't be rude or mean to him or anything else that deserved getting the boot.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Oh ya. The old guy with the crooked teeth. He's kicked me out TWICE.

Once: Put the card I filled out in the box... instead of keeping it in my pocket and then placing it in the box while leaving.

Twice: Fired my .22 while on the shotgun range.

Both times I was told never to come back. Still my favorite place to shoot though! :-)

And no I wasn't be rude or mean to him or anything else that deserved getting the boot.
    Eventually he is gonna die and he won't be missed. :rockwoot: He likes to pick up brass, I think .38. He has tried but has yet to get me!

I first shot there back in 81 when I was at Ball State. I would go shoot and hunt there. When college really got on my nerves I would go night hunt Fox there to get away from the routine. The "shotgun" range use to be a 100 yard rifle range and all positions on all ranges were covered.

I think this year for old times I may drag my bird dog out there.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    He will take your brass to. If its the same one you guys are talking about then ya he will take your brass to if he thinks he has an excuse. A buddy got booted for picking up his brass and another guys beside him that told him HE COULD HAVE IT. The DNR guy screamed at my buddy and took the bucket with his brass and the few pieces of the other mans he picked up and threw it ALL in the back of his truck. That is total crap but I think the man has an issue with younger people for the most part.

gunrunner1212

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Anderson
    We haven't had any trouble with the DNR guys taking our brass they said just pick it up before you leave. I thought we seen a sign posted by the sign in box that the casings left behind was going to be used for some kind of program for kids, not positive though. One of the guys did let us shoot water bottles a couple times that was fun, but than the other guy threatened to throw us out for doing it.

following2dp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Fishers
    We haven't had any trouble with the DNR guys taking our brass they said just pick it up before you leave. I thought we seen a sign posted by the sign in box that the casings left behind was going to be used for some kind of program for kids, not positive though. One of the guys did let us shoot water bottles a couple times that was fun, but than the other guy threatened to throw us out for doing it.

Yeah that sucked, I use to have one hell of a time shooting up those bottles.
    :ar15:
    and my polymere prairie dog that I don't even bother to bring anymore

pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I've been there many times. The range officer is all over it on checking pistol permits and making sure you fill out the little card and carry it while there. Also note, I've only been there on weekends (and it's usually wall-to-wall people shooting) Maybe the only real downside is the traffic lately on Sat & Sun. I remember the covered benches too... back in 81 or so... ancient history!

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    why would they check carry permits at all???

I've been there many times. The range officer is all over it on checking pistol permits and making sure you fill out the little card and carry it while there. Also note, I've only been there on weekends (and it's usually wall-to-wall people shooting) Maybe the only real downside is the traffic lately on Sat & Sun. I remember the covered benches too... back in 81 or so... ancient history!

CAVoorhis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Hancock County, Indiana
    I believe the is a shootgun area for shooting clay on the far left side.
    But yes it is a great place becuase it is free :)::):
    They have never checked me for permit only to make sure I fill there card out

Last edited:

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Wilbur Wright used to be a great place to shoot. As stated before, back in the 80's the bays were covered, you could shoot just about any targets you wanted (bottles, clay pigeons, tin cans) and nobody "watching over you". We used to throw trap in one of the bays before they put in the 100 yd range. It was closed to rifles because of some folks North of the range complaining that bullets were coming onto their property. I only go there with a friend now when I visit up there and I hate it more every time. The more the government (DNR) butts in, the worse a place becomes.

darrent

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Muncie, Indiana
    I shot there a lot, years ago, before anyone monitored the range. The last time that I went, I had a 12-13 year old boy shooting next to me without any real supervision. The kids ran down range with the line was still firing to see if he hit his target (scary). I yelled cease fire on the range to asked his grandfather no keep the kid back until the line had stop firing. Well, the kid ran down there again while we were shooting. I talked to the DNR guy and he booted the kid and his grandfather.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    The last time I shot there I had a 13 yr old boy with me and an adult next to us that needed supervision. He got pissed when I asked nicely for him to point his 1911 down range and not at us.

He kept telling me it wasn't loaded. I told him I didn't give a **** what he had to say about it, especially since the action was closed. He was showing off for a younger couple with him he was "teaching" how to shoot.

After asking three times, I walked over and persuaded him to do it, then I did my thing. I told the young man with me that what I was about to do was somewhat immature but WTF...............I then pulled out a preban armalite with that Mother F'n loud ass brake on the barrel, dumped two 30 round mags down range, jacked in another and he packed up and left. Last time I set foot there, but I ALWAYS arrived there early and shot and left or go on cold/wet/snowy days.

In the old days you could go and hang all day. I would pack a lunch and shoot and meet people. Someday we should go take the place over and run that old fart ragged.

PS the reason the positons are not covered, diphits shot the poles in half. Unreal, but true.

Brookville Reservoir is the best damn public range and the RO is a professional, very good, very cool.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pistolpete68
    Top Bottom