• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AXE835

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    East central Indiana
    WW has been my home range for years. Seen some dumb s#@t there over the years but some of the "rules" and RSO's thay have had and have now need to go jump in a lake. Got one good RSO now younger guy, he's alright:rockwoot:, the other one well nuff said. As far as the ones complaining about the locals if ya dont like us don't come out here!!!!:bat:

Jerrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Brownsburg
    Yesterday, my friend Mark and I went to the Wilbur Wright Fish and Wildlife Area to sight in his AR-15 (Rock River Arms Carbine 5.56). Brand new weapon, iron sights, yada, yada, yada.

First of all the weather was perfect. After a week of cold and rain the sun came out and the wind died completely.

Second, the facility was very nice. They have a 25 yd pistol range and a 50 yd rifle range. In addition, there is a shotgun range with a clay pidgeon launcher. I need to go back for that.

Third and most important is the Range Master, Mike. What a great guy! We were fumbling around with targets and stuff and looking generally lost. He came over and helped us through the whole process. It was a one hour drive each way for us but worth every mile.

Here is a picture of Mark on the left and Mike on the right. They are making an adjustment to the front sight. You can see the target at 50 yds in the background. Can you see that rifle rest? The RM brought that out when Mark was getting a bit of scatter in his groups. He let us use it until we were finished. How great is that?

We got the rifle dialed in with Mike's help. I took a few shots and had a 2-1/2" group. I thought that was real good since I never shot with peep sights before. Afterwards we stepped over to the pistol range and did some target practice with the handguns.

Great day at the range. If you haven't tried the range at Wilbur Wright your are missing a great place to shoot. If you go, look for Mike and tell him hello.

That guy IS awesome. I love going there!!!

rangeguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Hagerstown
    Bluedragon - I met that RM a couple of years ago - the last time I went there. He was a royal pain in the butt. I think he only wanted to make sure everyone followed the rules but he was extremely abrasive about. He reminded me of Popeye with a hangover.

I missed out on the hillbillies, kids with guns, and the bicycle guy. I wouldn't like that stuff either. I have the option of going on weekdays so that helps a bunch.
    I am not sure when you where here last but a lot of things have changed since June. I still have the hillbillies and families with kids but I like to think that the days of toy guns and gang bangers are gone ( I know they are when I am there) and if my other RO is there and isnt doing or is over doing ( I doubt that I can't get him out of the truck long enough for that lol) let me know and I will see that the issue is addressed. I demand a safe range and as people get to know me they have learned what I will tollerate and what I wont.

rangeguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Hagerstown
    I will agree that I would love to have a 100 yd range. But for now the powers that be say no. I have gotten two throwers for the shotgun range and working on cover for the 25 yd.
    My hope is to make the range as safe and fun as possible. We have prented rules in the registration area and what gets me is unless I give them out no one reads them then they get made at the RO when he corrects actions that violate the rules. Our rules are for the most part simple. Be safe, everything is benched during cease-fires and no guns, magazines or anything else except targets and stapleguns are to be touched. Keep the muzzel of your gun up or down range, and no holstered handguns can be WORN on the range. If these are upsetting to you then maybe you should look for another place to shoot. We have to treat everyone as a beginner until they prove themselves on the range. This is the only way a single RO can hope to have any control over a constent flow of 100 shooters in a day.
    What really gets me uptight is when gun people cant or wont follow the range rules and then get upset when the RO corrects them. I have been shooting all my life and the one thing my grandfather and my dad drilled into my head is safety and you have to follow the rules of the range you are on. I would like to think that the experienced shooter would help the RO by knowing and ensuring the less experienced shooter do the thing we love safer.
    Ok my rant is over and yes I feel better now LOL.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Oh well then i might see about making a trip over there sometime. The RO I had issues with was when a friend and I were there about a month or so ago. Looked like an older guy sitting up in a lawn chair or something.

dlbrown75

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    9   1   1
    May 2, 2011
    Newcastle, IN
    I've been wondering about this place. I just wish they had a longer range.

I was born and raised in Newcastle. Been going to this range since I was a kid. My only wish is they had a shorter range. I like to shoot pistols at combat range. They dont like it if you sit up targets at 10-15 ft. Still a great place but I prefer my backyard.

Laughing Snake

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    SW Indy
    I admit I haven't been there in years but WW is okay if you're the only one there or very few other shooters. I had the same iffy safety situations like anyone else has reported with or without an RO. Half of the time the RO would sit in a truck anyway. Towards the end of my time frequenting there the RO's would watch the range more.

What got frustrating was waiting for the range to go cold to put up or take down targets. If the range was full someone wouldn't want to wait and it would take half an hour or more to go down range.

Again it's been quite a while since I've been there but I don't imagine it has changed very much.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I was there back in the fall. The RO did a pretty good job considering it was fairly warm and the range became super busy. Like every open to the public range I have ever been to, keep your head on a swivel and keep an eye on others around you

Squatz24

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2016
    Muncie
    Too many people visit this range that don't practice any firearms safety. I also can't stand how you can't utilize a holster on the pistol range. But if you don't have anywhere else to go it works.

Top Bottom