• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Dad and I just got back from Wilderness Hunting Lodge in Monterey, TN. It was a high fence hunt. Basically they haul you out to a blind in an ATV and you wait for a pack of pigs to come walking around. Hardest part was watching for a fat sow to separate from the herd. Then bang! They process the meat for you on site. Then you put it in a cooler and drive home. Not sure if I would do it again but it makes for a fun father/son weekend.

If you go you want to ask for Brandon to be your guide. He is a good kid.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Dad and I just got back from Wilderness Hunting Lodge in Monterey, TN. It was a high fence hunt. Basically they haul you out to a blind in an ATV and you wait for a pack of pigs to come walking around. Hardest part was watching for a fat sow to separate from the herd. Then bang! They process the meat for you on site. Then you put it in a cooler and drive home. Not sure if I would do it again but it makes for a fun father/son weekend.

If you go you want to ask for Brandon to be your guide. He is a good kid.

Great info. We will be there in two weeks. I have been wondering an associated question. What is appropriate tipping protocol.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Great info. We will be there in two weeks. I have been wondering an associated question. What is appropriate tipping protocol.

He did not ask for a tip. Very nice kid. We shot our hogs on the first trip out. I gave him $100, which was $50 each. It’s a canned hunt. They slap your back, say nice shot, etc. “there is something those pigs like right there”. Yeah the corn on the ground and adjoining water hole, :D

The entire trip was $1030 for hunt, processing and tax. Plus the tip. So figure $1100. If you go out a couple times or are on a trophy hunt I would think a larger tip would be in order. But the meat hogs are pretty easy.

They advertise 2 for 1 hogs if they are under 150 lbs. Problem is all the pigs are similar size and I didn’t see any scales. Hindsight 20/20 I would have shot a larger pig. Make sure you harvest a medium sized sow. Nothing huge but don’t fall for the 2 for 1 deal. Basically this is a beer drinking trip with the guys where you get to bring home a cooler of meat.

Try to get Brandon. Cory was an idiot. We had to find Dad’s hog because he did not kill it on the first shot. After shooting the hog Brandon and I went down the hill to retrieve it and I left the loaded rifles propped up in the back seat of the UTV. Cory started up the UTV then tried to drive it down the muddy hill. He managed to throw two loaded rifles off the UTV and get the machine stuck. Idiot move. Brandon is squared away, 21 years old and dating the owners cute little red head daughter.

I had no problems carrying a sidearm, but I kept it concealed.

We we only stayed one night. Not a lot to do unless you are there with a group drinking beer. Beds are bunks, functional, not comfy like my bed at home. You can come and go as you please.

Meals are OK. Not spectacular but normal home cooked food. You get what they serve. Turkey/green beans/mashed potatoes or BBQ pork and baked beans. Breakfast was eggs/biscuits/gravy/sausage. I have no complaints.

No cell service but WiFi available. So you can email and text. You can make a cell call up on the hill.

The shooting range is not great. But it is 75 yards with a downhill slope. Checking zero on that range will simulate hunting conditions. I doubt you will shoot over 100 yards. I shot mine about 20 yards away. Just about any centerfire rifle will do the trick.

Last edited:

deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    My experience is basically the same as Vert's.

I don't remember who our "guide" was, but were put off the first morning there when my friend was asking about a Black Buck antelope and he said he could take us out after lunch. Than basically pointed us towards the gate and said hogs and rams/goats are in there. We ended up tipping the kid $20 because he didn't really do any more than coming out and picking up our hogs.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Our guide was a worker. No complaints about his efforts. Basically his job was to take us out, refill the bait pile and butcher the pigs. There was work involved. The girls at the lodge never stopped moving. Prepping meals, answering phones, washing towels, settling the accounts. Again real work. My guess is there is quite a bit to keeping an operation like that organized.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    A guy I work with goes to a place in Crossville, Tennessee he kills big hogs every trip. Its called something lodge not sure.
    He said its about a cheap as you can go but its a very nice place

The name is Loshbough Hunting Lodge. Here is the link: <https://www.loshbough.com>.
    It is a good place to hunt. Good folks. Great lodge. A bit expensive, but a good time. Roger was our guide, and he took us out with his fifteen-year-old dog which was blind in one eye and had cataracts in the other. He brought a >100lb boar to bay for us in less than thirty minutes. Excellent eating!

I also hunted at No Mercy <https://www.nomercyhunting.com>. Here we were able to take two hogs for less than the price for one at Loshbough, but we had to pay for a hotel room on the way out and on the way back. No dogs here, just shooting from tree stands or a blind. There is some spot and stalk, too. One of our group took a boar of 234lbs. and another took one at 226lbs. Guide, Greg, was great and the accommodations were very good.

Hunting at either place is worth your time. These were my first hunts and I had a great time.

deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    Our guide was a worker. No complaints about his efforts. Basically his job was to take us out, refill the bait pile and butcher the pigs. There was work involved. The girls at the lodge never stopped moving. Prepping meals, answering phones, washing towels, settling the accounts. Again real work. My guess is there is quite a bit to keeping an operation like that organized.

Looking back, we may have just had a misunderstanding. We got in the night before and everyone had gone home for the day, that morning we were told this kid was going to be our guide. So we assumed he was going to take us out, not just point us in a direction. We didn't realize he was butchering hogs in the morning. To be fair, it was our first time doing something like that, so maybe we didn't ask the right questions.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've found a few vids of various places on Youtube.
    That plus other web research.............has me still looking for a place to pop hog.
    Some operations are on pretty small ground.

I realize it's an "in and out" thing and that more folks killing critters = more money.
    But I'd like to have a bit of fun/work in filling the cooler.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Couple guys I know hunted Loshbough. A couple others Wilderness.
    And a couple did Caryonah.

All bow hunters.

In my research of various possible pig hunting places I've been watching hunter posted vids on Youtube.

BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Several years ago we went to Crooked Creek Lodge in Jamestown, TN. Everybody got an animal. Meat tasted fine. It is a fenced preserve with other exotics available. Nice place and nice folks.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Just returned from our excursion to Wilderness over the weekend. No need to repeat all the details since previous posters nailed the details to a t. We had a group of 7 and all 7 took a hog. Very busy weekend at lodge with a huge crowd. Enjoyable outing with the guys but don't know if I would do again.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Just returned from our excursion to Wilderness over the weekend. No need to repeat all the details since previous posters nailed the details to a t. We had a group of 7 and all 7 took a hog. Very busy weekend at lodge with a huge crowd. Enjoyable outing with the guys but don't know if I would do again.

Maybe a little more detail. Who was your guide? How far was the shot? What did you ahoot it with? How much and what brand of beer?

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Maybe a little more detail. Who was your guide? How far was the shot? What did you ahoot it with? How much and what brand of beer?

We had Lynn for guide. Nothing out of the ordinary. Adequate but we didn't require too much. Half our group went in alone and stalked. Four went to stands which just required dropping off. My shot was 84 yds (range finder verified). Took with 45/70 using my reloads. Bang flop right at water
    hole. Of course it fell into water. Copious amounts of Fat Tire, Bud, Miller and Coors lite. There also were some amber liquids in weird shaped bottles and some kind of conconction in a quart mason jar!!!

JoeG1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2016
    Greenwood
    I HIGHLY recommend Wilderness Hunting Lodge in Montery TN. I have been twice now. It is laid back, you will see a lot of different animals, and just a lot of fun. For the price of around $1100, you get a trophy boar, lodging for 3 nights and food. Guides are great and I have met different people each time to hang out with. Perfect for summer time when nothing is in season here.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    GREG JOHNSON in michigan UP has a hog hunting ranch, has all kinds of hogs, go to his web site,his nic name is MOOSE MAN.He has HUGE RUSSIAN BOARS or smaller depending on what you want to pay.I lived up north of traverse city and saw his advertising on internet,boars are unreal, prices seemed very good.Had a friend that went boar hunting on river beds in ohio, got charged on a hill,tusk got tangled up in his pants cuff, pulled him down , was rolling down hill, boar charged again , couldnt get pistol backup out fast enough, but luckily guide he was with shot it.Bruised up leg bad.WENT again tho following year,LOL.They hunted with dogs on river bottoms, and he walked on ridge along side of river bottom.

Dybber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    South side Indy
    Wildernesshuntinglogdge.com
    was supposed to gonthere last year but it didn’t work out. My friends loved it. And it’s closer than a lot of hunts.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    GREG JOHNSON in michigan UP has a hog hunting ranch, has all kinds of hogs, go to his web site,his nic name is MOOSE MAN.He has HUGE RUSSIAN BOARS or smaller depending on what you want to pay.I lived up north of traverse city and saw his advertising on internet,boars are unreal, prices seemed very good.Had a friend that went boar hunting on river beds in ohio, got charged on a hill,tusk got tangled up in his pants cuff, pulled him down , was rolling down hill, boar charged again , couldnt get pistol backup out fast enough, but luckily guide he was with shot it.Bruised up leg bad.WENT again tho following year,LOL.They hunted with dogs on river bottoms, and he walked on ridge along side of river bottom.

roughly where in Ohio? I have family this side of Dayton. Be close enough I could go.

ff5121

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2017
    Plainfield
    Ken moody Clark Range Tennessee, close to Crossville. This is the real deal, we hunted with dogs and handguns, but my group had experience hunting. They offer rifle and archery, this is hills hunting not fenced fields like some places . This is a one stop shop and excellent for first timer or experienced hunter.

Top Bottom