• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    I just had a very nice lady come in and inquire about how to get rid of two wild dogs on her property. She is not sure if they are someone's pets but they are killing her rescue animals. They tried to live trap them without success.

She wants them gone and they only come over at night. They have had trailcams out and have pictures. Any thoughts or anyone willing to help them out?

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Why not just go hang out for an evening with a rifle and wait for them to show up. Then put them to sleep.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I just had a very nice lady come in and inquire about how to get rid of two wild dogs on her property. She is not sure if they are someone's pets but they are killing her rescue animals. They tried to live trap them without success.

She wants them gone and they only come over at night. They have had trailcams out and have pictures. Any thoughts or anyone willing to help them out?

where at? Inside city Limits?

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011

What area are they in?
    Are they in town or in the country?
    Would the area put any restrictions on firearms that could be used?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    if it is outside city limits, she might not be able to do anything..

IC 15-20-1-4
    Dog bite liability; criminal offense
    Sec. 4. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b), the owner of a dog commits a Class C misdemeanor if:
    (1) the owner recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally fails to take reasonable steps to restrain the dog;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (2) the dog enters property other than the property of the dog's owner; and
    (3) as the result of the owner's failure to restrain the dog, the dog bites or attacks another person without provocation, resulting in bodily injury to the other person.
    (b) The offense under subsection (a) is:
    (1) a Class B misdemeanor if the person has been convicted of one (1) previous unrelated violation of this section;
    (2) a Class A misdemeanor if:
    (A) the person has been convicted of more than one (1) previous unrelated violation of this section; or
    (B) the violation results in serious bodily injury to a person;
    (3) a Class D felony if the owner recklessly violates this section and the violation results in the death of a person; and
    (4) a Class C felony if the owner intentionally or knowingly violates this section and the violation results in the death of a person.
    (c) This subsection does not apply to a nonaggressive dog that goes beyond the owner's premises onto agricultural or forested land. An owner of a dog commits a Class D infraction if the owner of the dog allows the dog to stray beyond the owner's premises, unless the dog is under the reasonable control of an individual or the dog is engaged in lawful hunting and accompanied by the owner or a custodian of the dog. However, the offense is a Class C infraction if the owner has a prior unrelated judgment for a violation of this subsection.
    As added by P.L.2-2008, SEC.11.

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    if she has rescue animals there is a better than average chance she is a anti

I would be very careful as this could be a set up

Just have her call animal control or law enforcement to solve her own problem
    You getting involved with domestic animals could have a very bad out come

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    if she has rescue animals there is a better than average chance she is a anti

I would be very careful as this could be a set up

Just have her call animal control or law enforcement to solve her own problem
    You getting involved with domestic animals could have a very bad out come
    Non-anti's can't be compassionate where animals are concerned? I've known some gun owners involved in rescue operations, guess I was wrong about them and they were really from the Brady's. Maybe the lady just has more compassion for the rescued animals she tends than she does for the feral ones. I don't see a set up, at all. Just a woman who needs some help.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I would bet her rescue animals are wild and typical food sources of predators. Darwin applies here.

I also agree with Lonnie. In general if the solution required is the use of a gun, you would do well to stick to your own problems or that of immediate family. Becoming a contract killer for a stranger is a bit out there, even if they are dogs.

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    I would bet her rescue animals are wild and typical food sources of predators. Darwin applies here.

I also agree with Lonnie. In general if the solution required is the use of a gun, you would do well to stick to your own problems or that of immediate family. Becoming a contract killer for a stranger is a bit out there, even if they are dogs.

Not to mention is illegal to kill domestic animals. Just FYI
    (There may be some exceptions to this but I wouldn't take any chances in this situation)

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    I agree with all. She is in the county. I asked if they had collars and she said no but that really doesn't mean anything. She says she is scared to walk on her property although she has never been confronted yet (can't blame her, it only takes one time). She seemed sincere. I told her about the problems she would have getting someone to come out and shoot the dogs since they may be someone's pet. She said they were not coyotes but I agree it might be however I did not see the pictures so who knows.
    I have had encounters with wild dogs (when dogs are in groups of three or more the pack mentality takes over and they are no longer domestic). Luckily I have never had to shoot one but I came close one time while biking with my kids in the country. Luckily it was one pitbull and I backed it down while my children rode away. Not fun.
    She said her husband and her neighbor were building a blind to shoot the dogs but at night it would be difficult.
    I would have a very tough time shooting a dog unless it was attacking me or mine.

Bmr23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    OK, I like guns but I also like dogs. B4 we just start suggesting the dogs be shot shouldn't there be some attempt made to decide if they have an owner (who admittedly isn't doing their job) and attempt a peaceful resolution? After all, it may not be the dogs' fault if they aren't being fed or cared for properly.

Voice of Reason :-)

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Shooting those dogs for 'this woman' is putting you out on a very rotten limb. Basically this should fall into the the 3S category..if the dogs do meet their demise.."somehow"..mums the word.

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    I asked her about owners and she said she talked to the neighbors and no one knows about the dogs. She said they have tried several times to live trap the dogs with no success. I suggested trying an animal control company which might be able to have a little more success. She said she called a couple but they wouldn't come out.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    What part of the state is she in?

Here is some DNR contact info:
    http://www.in.gov/dnr/lawenfor/2755.htm
    As well as this
    DNR Contact Information:
    If you need more information, please contact the DNR at (317) 232-4200 or by email at: dfw@dnr.in.gov
    If you need a nuisance wild animal control permit, please contact the DNR Permit Coordinator at (317) 232-4102 or visit our website for a permit application.
    And information about nuisance animals, if it's a Coyote going after her rescues
    http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/2351.htm

Emailing the DNR the tailcam photos might gain her a lot of headway in making an ID and knowing what actions she can take.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom