• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I have been told that they are as far as Crawford County along the Ohio. Their presence as far north as Mitchell is news to me. Won't be long til they are here and it's HUNTIN TIME!

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Hoped they would never make it up here. Friend of mine in Texas has his deer property destroyed by hogs and they can't kill them fast enough.

Co-worker of mine lives in Mitchell and says they have been killing them the last couple of years.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Have you met this guy in person? I find it hard to believe one person has killed 20 something hogs, yet they are such a rare thing to everyone else. Sorry, but Im throwing the :bs:

He's got some nice pics, hunts private ground down south and has invited myself and others. On one summer hunt, guys from another forum said they indeed saw pigs but things were so thick that nobody got one. IIRC they saw 6 in one weekend.

The huntmaster IIRC took 20 in one yr, and his total now about 100.

I have no reason to not believe him.

Big chunks of private ground could hold small populations and offer localized repeatable hunts resulting in decent harvest numbers.

It's not like 2 pigs are going to make 1 million offspring in 2 yrs like some TV shows would have folks believe. Who knows what causes the mortality rate amongst the young or even middle aged pigs.

They have the capacity to breed fast and grow to large numbers but that doesn't mean they are working at capacity.

I know that if I had a hog spot I'd keep quiet about it and enjoy the blasting for myself. I don't need the competition (legal hunters or poachers) and certainly wouldn't want all the criticism. I suspect others have been blasting pigs for some time and are just pretty quiet about it.

Shoot, smile and grill.

jackadew

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Washington Co.
    The hogs that i know about in Washington, Orange and Lawrence Counties are all on private land. Mostly in the thick areas near White River. These are domestic pigs that have either got out of their fence, or farmers chose to to turn lose rather than feed them when hog prices dropped years ago.

I know some guys north of Campbellsburg, In. that killed 18 at one time two weeks ago. They took some old fence and built a corral and had been feeding them...so it was like shooting fish in a barrel. I'm guessing that was pretty much all that was on that one farm. I know this sounds like interweb BS...but i have known these guys long enough they have no reason to lie to me. If i had to venture a guess on the population in the three counties...i would say between 100 & 150, maybe less.

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    Since they are not game animals and a nuisance animal. I was asking about coyotes and groundhogs at the time, according to the DNR I talked to a couple of years back, I quote, "You can take them with any weapon you want. Any caliber, or type. This includes automatic weapons and suppressed." I don't see why feral pigs wouldn't be the same.
    I just picked up a nice night scope for this reason.
    AR + Night Vision + Suppressor = Dead Pig.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    was asking about coyotes and groundhogs at the time, according to the DNR I talked to a couple of years back, I quote, "You can take them with any weapon you want. Any caliber, or type. This includes automatic weapons and suppressed."

You are saying Indiana DNR told you this?

What was the CO's name?

elwoodward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Washington Co.
    i own property on the river near sparksville and hogs arethick down in those parts you could kill 20 at times or you may not see one
    im going camping this weekend on white river. yes i know its going to be HOT! Anyway ive been down there several times the past month or so and haven't seen a single hog im more towards the white river road bridge than towards the sparksville bridge though. taking the AR camping along EDC. maybe ill see a few this weekend and get some pics.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    im going camping this weekend on white river. yes i know its going to be HOT! Anyway ive been down there several times the past month or so and haven't seen a single hog im more towards the white river road bridge than towards the sparksville bridge though. taking the AR camping along EDC. maybe ill see a few this weekend and get some pics.

Good luck!

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Hogs were originally released by the spanish in order to provide meat for explorers coming to the new world.

I guess the point is that wild pigs are nothing new since people have been stomping around on our bit of dirt. Nothing to really get spooled up about.

Besides, if Indiana residents could hunt every 4 legged critter to extinction with muzzle loading rifles, just think of the damage we could do with modern firearms.

rabbit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I for one hope they NEVER get started around here! I have seen the damage they can do first hand when I was in Texas! Not to mention they compete with deer and turkey of food!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Hogs were originally released by the spanish in order to provide meat for explorers coming to the new world.

I guess the point is that wild pigs are nothing new since people have been stomping around on our bit of dirt. Nothing to really get spooled up about.

Besides, if Indiana residents could hunt every 4 legged critter to extinction with muzzle loading rifles, just think of the damage we could do with modern firearms.

I bet the change in the environment (deforestation etc) had a lot to do with certain species disappearing, maybe moreso than flying lead.

elwoodward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Washington Co.
    Well it was a hot couple days on the river. The fish was not biting. No hogs to be seen or even signs of them. Will still be going there regularly to fish and scout around for hogs or even signs of them.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Since they are not game animals and a nuisance animal. I was asking about coyotes and groundhogs at the time, according to the DNR I talked to a couple of years back, I quote, "You can take them with any weapon you want. Any caliber, or type. This includes automatic weapons and suppressed." I don't see why feral pigs wouldn't be the same.
    I just picked up a nice night scope for this reason.
    AR + Night Vision + Suppressor = Dead Pig.
    Unfortunately that isn't how Indiana Legal Code is written. It is written that you cannot kill any animal with a suppressor, not even a domestic one IIRC. You have a cow you want to kill and butcher? Can't legally kill it with a suppressed weapon, instead you must use an unsuppressed weapon and spook the whole herd. :xmad:

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Unfortunately that isn't how Indiana Legal Code is written. It is written that you cannot kill any animal with a suppressor, not even a domestic one IIRC. You have a cow you want to kill and butcher? Can't legally kill it with a suppressed weapon, instead you must use an unsuppressed weapon and spook the whole herd. :xmad:

Correct, here are two of the applicable statements from the IDNR regulations:

"It is illegal to: ...Possess a silencer while hunting."

"Hunt: To take any wild animal except by trapping."

However, I have NOT been able to find any prohibition of other NFA weapon types (I'm sure they're probably there somewhere, I just haven't found them yet...)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Please cite where it says a domestic cow can't be shot with silencer.
    Not saying the code doesn't exist, but citing the DNR rules on hunting I don't think to be applicable.

Feral swine are wild domestics, and would fall under the "no silencer" rule as cited in other posts, even if they aren't considered a game animal.
    Wild is wild.

Top Bottom