• ...and so much more!
  • Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Topshot,
    I would suggest using the bifocal tilt to keep the front sight in focus and shooting the fuzzy bowling pins.
    Seems to work better when I do it that way.
    I have thought of trying to do it that way. I did a couple runs like that (I was just shooting paper pins) but it's not comfortable or natural. Maybe I'll try alternating to see what works better for me at the match.

I had intended to use this "game" as training for self defense and head tilt is certainly not going to happen there. Of course, I can get away with just pointing at a target that size.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Is it really dangerous?
    I've had a 45 come back off of a bowling pin & hit me in the leg but it did not hurt or cause a bruise. That is just one data point though, perhaps somebody has been hurt. Shooting steel targets has gotten me small cuts once or twice, nothing to fret about but a very strong indicator that we all need eye protection.

I've not shot bowling pins, but was at an indoor range, in the Fort, a few years back, where they have five (5) lanes per range, and a guy in the far right-hand range fired a .45 acp, which struck a 45-degree angled post (which is used to support the roof and was sticking out of the wall about 4") which ricochet'd across the range...it then struck the counter-sided 45-degree angled post (same post on the left side of the range) and ricochet'd back and struck the lady in the far left-hand lane on the left side of the range, in the mouth cutting it pretty good.

She suffered a 3/4" rounded laceration to the upper lip, curling up and to the left, which required sutures as it was clear through (similar to a parrot-beak meniscus tear) with a flap that hung-down and flipped-up...she had to get some plastic surgery to repair it.

I was in the lane next to the lady and heard the 'smack' and her yelp...and it took a second to figure out exactly what happened.

What was left of the flattened .45 acp bullet fell down and was caught on her shirt front...which we discovered after we stepped out of the range shooting area.

The only guy shooting .45 acp was the guy in the far RH lane who denied his bullet did it...but he quickly packed up his stuff and left while we were in the restroom area getting the bleeding stopped.

Shoot sports are fun...but they can be dangerous...

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    I have thought of trying to do it that way. I did a couple runs like that (I was just shooting paper pins) but it's not comfortable or natural. Maybe I'll try alternating to see what works better for me at the match.

I had intended to use this "game" as training for self defense and head tilt is certainly not going to happen there. Of course, I can get away with just pointing at a target that size.

I'm sure you will find a technique that works best for you, as you should.
    I too have bifocals and discovered early on that when I loose concentration on the front sight the pins stand defiantly with no remorse what so ever.
    Whether bowling pin shooting would qualify as good self defense training or not, the matches are fun.
    And they are much more fun when you are hitting the pins.

Another game thats fun is shooting Texas Stars.

As far as self defense training goes, IDPA matches might be the closest to self defense scenarios you can encounter in a shooting sports "game" environment.
    You might consider taking an actual self defense class. If you're location is west Central Indiana, consider chatting with Rhino.
    His website in in the quote below

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    www.AdaptiveConsultingandTraining.com
    To prevail you must ACT!

longbeard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    I've done pretty well locally using my .40 loaded to major PF with a 185GR bullet. I too fretted about what I needed to shoot to do well, but I found shooting the pins clean goes a long way over loads or calibers. I'd say once you master that then equipment and loads will matter more. Just show up and knock em down!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

A fuzzy sight picture with good trigger control will yield excellent results at bowling pin match or self-defense distances.
    A perfect sight picture and poor trigger control will result in the phenomenon known as a "miss."

What you need to see to make a specific shot varies based on distance and size of target, but the need for good trigger controls is a constant. Way, way more bowling pins are missed due to bad trigger than because of what the shooter could or could not see.

And just in case:

Trigger Control = pressing the trigger and causing the gun to discharge without disturbing the alignment of the gun once it is pointed at your target.

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Trigger Control = pressing the trigger and causing the gun to discharge without disturbing the alignment of the gun once it is pointed at your target.
    You sound just like Art Sievers (and me for that matter). :) I say the same thing when coaching new shooters. My rapid fire pistol trigger control needs work though. You think I might have lots of rust after shooting <1000 rounds in the past 20 years (half that in the last 2 weeks)? :rolleyes:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You sound just like Art Sievers (and me for that matter). :) I say the same thing when coaching new shooters. My rapid fire pistol trigger control needs work though. You think I might have lots of rust after shooting <1000 rounds in the past 20 years (half that in the last 2 weeks)? :rolleyes:

Only one way to find out!

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I'm happy to report I didn't totally embarrass myself but still have lots of work to do. Won 2 and had a forfeit before being bested by a guy I coached on the rifle team 20 years ago, who eventually won the match. It was his first pin shoot, too.

I felt like I was in the zone pretty well, used my bifocals to focus on front sight but also had lots of shots where the sights didn't move off target yet I totally missed. Often in a row. Even if I took lots of time. It was almost like some pins had a force field around them. :):

Will go back tonight for .22 version.

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It will knock them off sometimes, but .40 is not a good caliber. In fact, if you shoot someplace like MCFG which has different power classes and pin settings, overall .40 might be the worst, because it's the smallest caliber in the highest power class (the real-estate rule of being the cheapest in the highest neighborhood doesn't apply here).

That used to be the case at MCF&G until about a year or so ago. We changed .40 S&W from Major to Minor classification. Only .44 MAG/SPL, .45ACP and 10mm are Major now. People shooting Major have their pins placed 1' back from the front edge of the table. People who shoot Minor (.40 S&W, .357 MAG, 9mm, .38 SPL) shoot at pins sitting 2' back from the front edge of the table.

While initially there was concern that this was unfair, we've not seen people who shoot .40 S&W dominating our matches. Most people who consistently make it to the finals are shooting .45ACP or 9mm.

I personally prefer to shoot a 9mm 147gr JHP in the early rounds of a match and then switch to .40 S&W or .45ACP towards the end as the pins get heavier and don't roll as well. You have to have near perfect shot placement to knock a bowling pin off the table even at the minor position with a 9mm 115gr FMJ!

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    The way the Bowling pin match is ran at Top Guns 9,38,40 is at the same point and 45,44 bigger bore is at the front. So 40 is a good choice as the heavier bullet hits harder than a 9 but has the shorter distance to knock off the table than the 45 does but 45 shooters do pretty well if they do their part.

9mm while workable seems to me not as forgiving on bowling pins with a hit outside the sweet spot.

Shooting pins at Top Guns the last several months they can be trickier than one can think. Good fun though.

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    The way the Bowling pin match is ran at Top Guns 9,38,40 is at the same point and 45,44 bigger bore is at the front. So 40 is a good choice as the heavier bullet hits harder than a 9 but has the shorter distance to knock off the table than the 45 does but 45 shooters do pretty well if they do their part.
    Indeed, my former student athlete won using a 45 Shield.

There were 22 of us there Wed and 16 showed up Thur for rimfire. I did about the same there. Had a harder time focusing on the front sight of my 422. Still had fun though. Unfortunately, I won't be able to participate often because I usually have regular commitments both nights.

Top Bottom