Will ammunition manufacturers follow suit?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nemo97

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    A buddy of mine and I were recently discussing and applauding the recent development of some firearms/related companies bannings sales to government agencies and law enforcement agencies within states that have or are attempting to ban a varying degree of firearms and accessories.

Now, this is what we came up with as what seems to us as a logical second step. Ammunition manufacturers should evaluate their business models as well. I understand big dollar government contracts are tempting to such companies, but is it truly their bread and butter? Many of the big producers prioritize their production allotment in this order: 1) military; 2) law enforcement; 3) the rest of us.

We can reasonably argue the federal government needs no more ammunition given DHS has received or has on order enough ammo for a 30 year war based on some recently calculated stats using Iraq and Vietnam Nam as a basis of ammo needs for active combat.

Will Winchester, Remington or Federal or other manufacturers step up to the plate and demonstrate having our backs? What can we do to send a message to them that would hopefully encourage them to consider such a move? Anyone have constructive thoughts and/or PR skills that could be utilized for such an effort?

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Flawed assessment?

If your math is based on the recent reports of DHS ammo purchases, you may need to reconsider. I believe they placed long-term orders but have not taken delivery on all those millions of rounds. I would also question whether any of that is going to our military currently engaged in conflict.

That said, I would love to see ammunition suppliers/manufacturers refuse to sell to any LE agency in New York or any other state which passes similarly ridiculous laws.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Standing from the outside looking in...

I would think in the long term it would be to the benefit of business that manufactures firearm products to not deal with the corrupt states that have infringed on the 2A. In the long run I would think that the largest customer base that provides the most profit are we the consumers. Could be very wrong on that I have no facts to back it up. It would certainly be the moral thing to do.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The problem with that theory isThere is no way to send ammun ition to one of those states and keep it from just an agency. You would end up hurting the poor guy/gal citizen from being able to get ammunition for their firearm. Even if they could only legally put in 7 rounds i n their magazine.

Besides other than a couple appointed Police Chiefs and LEO officials most LEO's individually really do not support what the NY legislature crammed down their throats. Do you really want to go there and blame every single LEO. I know a lot of you will but really whats the point!

adws943

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    I read that the govt makes up about 5% of ammo sales. If true does that mean we are responsible for the ammo shortage?

Owen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Fishers
    I read that the govt makes up about 5% of ammo sales. If true does that mean we are responsible for the ammo shortage?

I don't know if that stat is true, but I'm convinced that civilians are driving the present shortages. All the proof I needed was to see the crazy lines and crowds at every gun store.

I would certainly prefer to do business with companies that refuse to sell to government agencies that enforce 2nd amendment restrictions. I doubt we could convince every manufacturer to refuse to deal with them, but it sure would be awesome if we could make it hard on NY agencies!
    I would be curious to see real data on gun and ammo sales to civilians and the various govt agencies.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    The problem with that theory isThere is no way to send ammun ition to one of those states and keep it from just an agency. You would end up hurting the poor guy/gal citizen from being able to get ammunition for their firearm. Even if they could only legally put in 7 rounds i n their magazine.

Besides other than a couple appointed Police Chiefs and LEO officials most LEO's individually really do not support what the NY legislature crammed down their throats. Do you really want to go there and blame every single LEO. I know a lot of you will but really whats the point!
    They whole heartily supported it by not being against it in any way, shape or form. At least the ones in NYC, they do not want anyone having guns.

They also support it by being upset that they were not exempt from the 7 round magazine limits that is being imposed on the peasants

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    They whole heartily supported it by not being against it in any way, shape or form. At least the ones in NYC, they do not want anyone having guns.

They also support it by being upset that they were not exempt from the 7 round magazine limits that is being imposed on the peasants

NYC is totally different than upstate NY like Chicago is different from down state IL. We all know how polictics works. It happened so quick there wasn't much time to stage a resistance to it. They (the represenatives) didn't ask what we though or most of us thought on Obama Care just like the NY legislature didn't ask or care what average folks, rank and file working Joe's thought. Like Obama care the NY bill was rammed down everyones thoughts.

As far as the the mag limit exemption for LEO's I'll put it this way. While I do not agree with the NY law at all like most here it is not most of the LEO's fault they were thrown into that especially the ones (most of them) that are conservative pro 2nd. So that being said I don't have a problem myself exempting LEO's from the limit restriction because they have to go into situations/incidents (I am refering to normal Police day to day duty not any kind of going door to door stuff a lot of people jump to conclusions on)

The law is bad all the way around but I am not going to bash a whole group just because a couple knuckle head Department heads and administrators took the lead and went on parade with Cuomo and Bloomberg.

Timelinex

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    Most large companies are out there to make money.... I wouldn't hold your breath at them denying customers

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    The law is bad all the way around but I am not going to bash a whole group just because a couple knuckle head Department heads and administrators took the lead and went on parade with Cuomo and Bloomberg.

I am. And it wasn't just a couple of knuckleheads. They make themselves the elite by claiming they need the exemption. They say nothing, do nothing and complain because the law was written with the ban affecting them as well. NYC police do not want anyone armed but themselves, they are the elite, they are better than the rest.

Top Bottom