Will AR Sights Work On An AK With Pic. Rails?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Just curious...I have a Polish Underfolder with Midwest Industries forend and Strike Industries rail that replaced the rear sight on my AK. I mounted a Vortex SPARC red dot and it works great.

However, I have been seriously contemplating installing a rear flip up sight and a 45 degree offset to mount the SPARC. Or, would I need to put both a front and a rear flip up sight kinda close together because the rear flip up wouldn't jive with the stock front AK sight?

What say ye, INGO craftsmen?

mjlcobra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I wouldn't bother. An AK is an AK and an AR is an AR. If it were mine, I'd look at the TWS dogleg. You can find AR-type FS pins for your AK. Mojo rear peep is windage/elevation adjustable. Krebs is only elevation adjustable. Tech sights look cool but I've never used 'em.

Laughing Snake

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    SW Indy
    I have wanted to do this same thing also on my '74 frankengun.' The best thing I was able to come up with was the MI extended forend, with a spare top cover to go over the gas block section, and a cheap Beryl style rail that mounts to the rear sight block. The front and rear rails didn't match up absolutely perfect, but could be adjusted for with the flip up sights. I can post a pic if you need a visual.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Just make sure your rear rail and your front rail are in the same plain, level, and colinear. Also, the farther you can space them, the better. If your rails/sights are at different heights off bore, then no dice. It's an interesting idea seeing as your RDS (most likely) blocks your use of the stock irons.

I see no issue with making your AK more ergonomic for you as a shooter, but keep in mind that the AK's factory iron sights have been effectively doing their job for many, many, many years now. There are many fallen souls who can attest to that.

I ran an MI micro-dot sight base (that replaced the rear leaf sight) for one range trip. I pulled it off as soon as I got home, and it's been in my parts bin ever since. Despite the fact that it allowed lower 1/3 cowitness, it wasn't elevation adjustable. That was a major pitfall. Also, if my sight were to die or malfunction (when and if I ever depended on the rifle for my life) I would have no back up. I then ran the same RDS on an UltimAK gas tube. That worked much better. Again, lower 1/3 cowitness, and it didn't hinder the view of my stock irons. I liked it, but my PA red dot finally gave up the ghost and I have since ditched red dots on my AKMs all together in favor of the factory irons. I train with the irons and I am confident with them. That's really all that matters.

I'm no AK purist, but when it comes to the AK's factory iron sights, if it ain't broke I don't try to fix it.

I think I might have gone on a rant there. Sorry!

Either way, OP, just make sure your irons are mounted stable, at a level height off bore, and spaced as far apart as you can get them and you should be G2G (my $.02). Good luck!

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I'd sell the MI rail, buy a TWS top cover and an ultimak rail.

Its about the closest to the same height and give you the longest sight plain

images

or maybe even the Krebs rail if it'll work with the TWS

Krebs-Custom-KV-13-508x287.jpg

Top Bottom