• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    would a .223 can work on a 5.45 rifle? more specifically an ak74?

Yes, but there are few options as the commies always made theirrs in a funky thread pitch, so your choices are few. The Gemtech Halo is easily mounted with a Vltor adapter though and works pretty well for that purpose.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    5.45x39 = .220 diameter. Velocity is roughly 3,000FPS.
    5.56x45 = .224 diameter. Velocity is roughly 3,000FPS.

As long as it can be mounted properly I don't see why it wouldn't work. I would shoot paper targets from a few feet away and check for key-holing.

ssgjason

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Southern IN
    Yes. But, consider a few things...
    -Keyholing
    -The tremendous amount of barrel flex in an AK type system.
    -Corrosive ammo. Yes I know most suppressors are made of some really tough materials, but anything can corrode and with nearly all centerfire suppressors being sealed, I see it as an issue. Especially with all of the little nooks and crannies in a baffle system.

hotrodtba

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ossian
    I tried mounting my Halo on my AK 74's with the VLTOR adapater for the Halo and both rifles looked as though they would strike the baffles. I don't think the threads are good enough for suppressor use. If you do mount something up, triple check that the can is centered enough to use.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I know shooter521 has mounted is Gemtech HALO on his AK-74 and it has worked well.

he also blew the end out of it while mounted on his AK105. ;)

He's not the only one Ive seen either, but I think it has to do more with a loss of concentricity due to the FSB and adapter together being off. Basically the error multiplies, barrel error + fsb error + adapter error = ouch

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    he also blew the end out of it while mounted on his AK105. ;)

He's not the only one Ive seen either, but I think it has to do more with a loss of concentricity due to the FSB and adapter together being off. Basically the error multiplies, barrel error + fsb error + adapter error = ouch

That can was on 3 different hosts that day, not sure when it really happened :cool:

Top Bottom