Will Obama wait to push gun control until supreme court is in his favor?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    We know the existing supreme court generall has ruled in favor of the 2nd ammendment and citizens right to bear arms. However, it is widely held that the current Justices would vote and assumed 5-4 decision in favor of the 2A in typical cases.

Will Obama wait until he has another appointee before he pushes gun control? My guess is that much like Obama-care, this administration will write any and all laws such that they are very difficult to repeal.

They've learned their lessons from the Clinton AWB, which had an expiration date and did expire under Bush.

My thinking is that he will push for some immediate actions (perhaps some very well publicized enforcement of existing laws and back ground checks) and wait for a full blown legislation until he has a lock on any potential supreme court cases.

That being said, such a process would take a while to implement, so I would expect that the Fienstein bill will get the ball rolling so that a law is out there for the nation to see, and then by the time any challenges are made, the SCOTUS would have a potential 5-4 anti-2a stance.

Maybe I'm making too much out of it...but that's my current concerns.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    No, he will not wait. He will have to seize the moment while everyone's outrage over the latest school massacre is at its peak. America has a very short memory. The next big headline will take the public's mind off Connecticut. If he or others are going to change gun laws, I suspect they will do so swiftly.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    What if Dems take the House in two years? What if that happens AND Obama appoints two SCOTUS judges? Well, I think it is safe to assume that all gun sales will be banned and the second amendment either completely repealed, or redefined by SCOTUS to only grant the active military the right to bear arms.

reedo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    I think that he will put a band-aid out there immediately. He will reinstate the something close to the Brady Ban. He will then wait until he can seize more ground on another tragedy forum. Eventually, when the libs control the Supreme Court, he will do a more comprehensive approach to total weapons seizure.

Dave-O

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    New Albany
    I have been hesitant to ask this question but why with all we fear from the great "O" why hasn't he hit the exec Order button yet. It is within his power and has only been slightly hinted at by holder. He is lame at this point and nothing to fear from us or the nra ?
    Whats he waiting for, got any ideas out there ?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I have been hesitant to ask this question but why with all we fear from the great "O" why hasn't he hit the exec Order button yet. It is within his power and has only been slightly hinted at by holder. He is lame at this point and nothing to fear from us or the nra ?

I think they are concerned that an Exec Order could be ruled un-Constitutional, and they know that the NRA and many public will push the issue and file suit.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

He's not a "Lame Duck" President yet. He's not going to risk the capital and endanger Democratic seats. He's a clever guy. I have no doubt of what he wants, but he's going to pass the buck on to Congress to make that decision. If it goes through, he'll sign, if it doesn't (and I don't think it will), he'll let it go.
    The Democrats are on the verge of eliminating the power of GOP forever. If makes no sense for them to bring up an issue that would rally people to start supporting them. Take me for instance. I most can't stand Republicans, but if the Democrats get this new AWB thing, I will have to swallow my pride and support the GOP for a while.

Oh, and Obama's EO are nearly as bad as people make them out to be. I've always wondered why this has been an issue.

Last edited:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    He's not a "Lame Duck" President yet. He's not going to risk the capital and endanger Democratic seats. He's a clever guy. I have no doubt of what he wants, but he's going to pass the buck on to Congress to make that decision. If it goes through, he'll sign, if it doesn't (and I don't think it will), he'll let it go.
    The Democrats are on the verge of eliminating the power of GOP forever. If makes no sense for them to bring up an issue that would rally people to start supporting them. Take me for instance. I most can't stand Republicans, but if the Democrats get this new AWB thing, I will have to swallow my pride and support the GOP for a while.

Oh, and Obama's EO are nearly as bad as people make them out to be. I've always wondered why this has been an issue.

People make a huge issue out of executive orders with Obama because they got some spam email that is full of BS. Far too many will believe anything that they read or hear without doing a few seconds of research.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    We know the existing supreme court generall has ruled in favor of the 2nd ammendment and citizens right to bear arms. However, it is widely held that the current Justices would vote and assumed 5-4 decision in favor of the 2A in typical cases.

Will Obama wait until he has another appointee before he pushes gun control?

Of the (2) or possible (3) openings in the next 4 years, I would expect (2) of them to already be in the non friendly camp, so their replacement wouldn't change that 5-4 number, at least initially. Let's hope any friendly Judge thinking of retiring can hold on for the next (4) years.

This is assuming that not just (1) opinion has changed since Ct., and they feel the same about AR-15's and standard cap mags as they did other issues they have ruled on favorably recently...

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Obama is the best president we have ever had on gun rights... I have read something along those lines several times here on INGO so it must be true.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    in the aftermath of sandy hook i have never heard obama say he wants to pass an AWB of that he will try and pass one. all he has said is he wants to talk about. he knows he can't do it at the moment.

Dave-O

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    New Albany
    I know when he was running and all the hoopla was going around about how he was going to E O the 94 ban back in his first day in office, and he would be the worst president we ever had on gun rights that created a epidemic of gun buying that was very close to this past week, but he has pretty much personally steered clear of the issue. I stand tecnically corrected on the lame duck part but my point was, is he has nothing to loose and if this threat to our gun rights is as eminant as we fear why hasn't he put pen to paper with the E O and what the hell if it is fought against, the bill from feinstein or whomever will be voted in by time the courts even get the case briefs. Kind of like invading irag, EO it and they will certainly sign the bill. It would seem to me that would also stack his hand if he wanted the ban, if they did not vote the bill in all hell would break loose. You would assume they think they can at least pull off the 94 ban again. There were no riots over it. I am certainly not going to become complacent and would not recommend any one else to but hopefully this won't end to bad. I have thought for several days that the reason this has fired so many up on the "gun issue" is the only pics the media have shown of this guy looks like a normal teen with a bad hair cut. The last few killers pics look like complete nut jobs, Laughner gives everyone chills with his glare and fresh shaved bald head and the one from aurora with the joker painted face and orange hair just sat there staring off into space in the courtroom, columbine left letters and were into the goth appearance, schoolmates said they were nuts and threatening. Their appearance and actions gave america a freak wacko to blame. This guy hasn't and human nature has to lay the blame somewhere. So they are blaming guns. Guns made him do it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom