• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    You call and with permission take it to your local PD or Sheriffs office, and follow their instructions. I don’t know any Officer or Deputy that will just say, let me have the number I’ll look it up.
    LEO is responsible for his inquiries in the system.
    If the weapon is reported lost or stolen, you have some explaining to do it will be taken and a report made.
    Back in the day, Andy or Barney could do a lot of things we cannot do today.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Be aware that some Rugers will have duplicate serial numbers. Ruger used the same numbers in years past across product lines. So, a Bearcat could have the same number as a Mark 1.

Basically, if you have the numbers ran make sure to get the model correct.

There may be other gun makers examples of this.

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    Be aware that some Rugers will have duplicate serial numbers. Ruger used the same numbers in years past across product lines. So, a Bearcat could have the same number as a Mark 1.

Basically, if you have the numbers ran make sure to get the model correct.

There may be other gun makers examples of this.

Back in the 80's when I was a dealer I sold a new S&W model 10 that was later stolen from the owners van. The local Sheriff's dept called me and said the number the owner had given them off the gun box, came up as a stolen weapon from years back. When they told me the number, I said it wasn't a model 10 serial number and gave them the correct number from my records.
    Turned out the number from the box that the owner gave them was an inventory number, that just happened to be the same as a stolen 22 rifle. They never did recover his gun.

4x4strongman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 16, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I've actually been considering a few used peer to peer purchases about now, as I can't find what Ive beeb looking for new. I have literally bbeen wondering this myself that last week or so. Sounds like if you ask you are more likely to be answered with a yes to help you make sure stuff isn't stolen. Makes me feel good about looking at used stuff now. Might be asking about a few here myself.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Just because it's not in IDACS/NCIC doesn't meant it's not stolen.

If you're that worried about it, don't buy it. Personally I only buy from people who seem trustworthy, and I pay a fair price.

I know something's up if someone wants to sell me a Colt Python for $300. :):

I own several used guns that I've never had the serial number checked on. Doesn't bother me a bit. I didn't steal any of them.

At 300$ I would probably go ahead and buy it.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Recently I had a case where my client was charged with theft of a handgun after an ISP stop. The officer noted that the gun showed up in NCIC as stolen...in 1978. My client is 20.

This is another reason to keep your pie hole shut during a traffic stop.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I've actually been considering a few used peer to peer purchases about now, as I can't find what Ive beeb looking for new. I have literally bbeen wondering this myself that last week or so. Sounds like if you ask you are more likely to be answered with a yes to help you make sure stuff isn't stolen. Makes me feel good about looking at used stuff now. Might be asking about a few here myself.

Dont forget, your seller will also have to agree to this onerous request. If you told me you would only buy my gun if I met you and a cop so it could be run, I'd tell you to pound sand. Even if it was a gun I purchased factory new from a LGS and know for a fact its clean, We ARE talking about the govt; They are REALLY good as screwing up. I wouldnt want to take the chance on a typo or other oddity that caused it to be erroneously confiscated. I mean, if we're in Marion county, even if they did straighten it out the next day, Its already in the property room so I wouldnt even be able to consider seeing it for at least 18 months.

If you are that nervous/risk averse, stick to gun stores.

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    At 300$ I would probably go ahead and buy it.

maybe.gif

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Wow I just found out that guy was sentenced to 88 years in prison is out already and working at a business in Aurora. How our justice system is a big failure this proves it.

Top Bottom