Will the Ukraine/Russia situation affect 7.62x39/5.45x39/7.62x54r prices?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • guitarslinger21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    southwest
    Will the Ukraine/Russia situation affect ammo/gun/accessory/optic prices?

I was thinking, my rifles were partially picked for their access to a steady stream of cheap ammo.

If Russia doesn't back off, I'm guessing we could see some trade embargoes coming. Also, Ukraine is probably going to hold onto its ammo, as well to defend itself.

I think this could be a problem for AK/Mosin shooters.

It could also nix the distribution deal with the Kalashnikov concern.

(I probably should have posted this in the ammo section, but in the back of my mind, I'm thinking it will affect gun and accessory prices as well)

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The stuff coming from Russia will be gone, but not everything comes from there. Anything gun related will get banned first, a win-win for obie as far as he's concerned.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Most of the Russian stuff was sold off a decade ago. Now we are getting Warsaw Pact stuff.

Russia does not have military as big as they used to. And they emptied their warehouses of old stuff to raise money.

Right now the Soviet weapons systems are the cheap stuff. A few years back it was FALs. Maybe we need to get the Mexicans to make low cost weapons and ammo then smuggle them into the US.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Most of the Russian stuff was sold off a decade ago. Now we are getting Warsaw Pact stuff.

Russia does not have military as big as they used to. And they emptied their warehouses of old stuff to raise money.

Right now the Soviet weapons systems are the cheap stuff. A few years back it was FALs. Maybe we need to get the Mexicans to make low cost weapons and ammo then smuggle them into the US.

*cough* Aguila *cough*

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I was thinking of the $17.50 that I saw being made in Albania in the mid '90s. Or the weapons being made by Afghanistan gunsmiths using only foot powered lathes.

Labor is cheap, we should be able to get full auto AKs for under $100 if smuggled in.

I don't believe cost in production affects import prices much...

It's just a matter of what people are willing to pay. Izhmash raised their prices for that reason.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't believe cost in production affects import prices much...

It's just a matter of what people are willing to pay. Izhmash raised their prices for that reason.

I am thinking of illegal guns coming into the US via smuggling thus profit margins about 500x the cost of manufacture. Still Mexicans work for next to nothing, as cheap as those in Afghanistan. Why not have cheap ammo and weapons?

guitarslinger21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    southwest
    This thread has to qualify as the most cynical I've seen in a while from the compassionate conservatives.
    I'm just saying the detrimental effects of an embargo will be incidental. How is that being cynical? Barry doesn't want an all out war, so, as gun owners, we'll sadly experience the effects of this symbolic gesture. It just happens to be convenient for the gun grabbers. :(

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    Anyone been tracking ammo prices online? I don't keep a running spreadsheet, but I swear everything's jumped $.05-.10/round in the past week or so. I guess ammo has gotten a lot like gasoline now, in that any perceived disturbance in the supply chain will drive the price up.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    How is this for optimistic: Putin spent a ton of money on the Olympics. Is spending money with this show of force. What better way to pay for this than to send a few tons of ammo to the USA. It would also **** off King Barack at the same time!

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    I just ordered 2 more spam cans to be on the safe side earlier today, it never hurts to have lots of ammo. Aim is showing 5.45x39 out of stock currently. It may or it may not cause a shortage, but I will not take that chance.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I just ordered 2 more spam cans to be on the safe side earlier today, it never hurts to have lots of ammo. Aim is showing 5.45x39 out of stock currently. It may or it may not cause a shortage, but I will not take that chance.

I ordered a couple cases for the spring & summer shooting season. Plenty in stock and as low as $209/1,000.

Top Bottom