• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hickuleas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    deep in the woods
    I got a 68 camaro rally sport for 16th birthday. I loved the car but i almost killed myself several times. Kids that young don't understand enough about driving at that age to be safe.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I got a 68 camaro rally sport for 16th birthday. I loved the car but i almost killed myself several times. Kids that young don't understand enough about driving at that age to be safe.

and I had a 1992 Silverado 4x4 and could've died many times. Horsepower or type of vehicle doesn't matter to a 16 year old:):

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    1. Dad is liberal (for the record).
    2. Son is young.
    3. Family is in the midst of a divorce.
    4. Dad is buying son's love or his forgiveness - you pick.
    5. Dad just put down payment on grave.

Will see, but would be a shame for son to go.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    1. Dad is liberal (for the record).
    2. Son is young.
    3. Family is in the midst of a divorce.
    4. Dad is buying son's love or his forgiveness - you pick.
    5. Dad just put down payment on grave.

Will see, but would be a shame for son to go.

6. All of this really none of my business.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    6. All of this really none of my business.

Maybe not yours, but it's mine.

A 16 year old, with a rocket sled and NO financial concerns is scary enough. Add to it the crazy emo of having millionaire superstar parents divorcing?

My adult children drive around this area with my grand kids. YES, this is my business.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County

Depends on what age they started driving. I drove a big ol' Chevy with a 427 on a regular basis, when I was 14. Of course it had a 5&2, tandem axle, and a 18 foot grain bed. I understood plenty about driving by the time I was 16. :dunno: Now, as to putting that knowledge to use or not, that's a different story.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    they may be rich now but give it a few months, they will be at a soup kitchen when they get through paying the repair bills on a ford

casselmb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Oh ok...so all the kids in the late 60's and early 70's must have died in fiery crashes:rolleyes:

I didn't say that every kid who gets a fast car is going to die. That's a pretty big logical leap from what I posted.

But I actually think that kids with a fast car today are more likely to have an accident than they would have been in the 60s or 70s. Kids are much more likely today to be using some type of technology, whether it's a cell phone or ipod/iphone hooked up to their stereo. Not to mention the much higher volume of traffic on the road today. On the other hand, cars are safer, and crashes are less deadly now.

My first car was a 2wd, 4-banger pickup. My second car was/is a v8, rwd coupe (much like the car the OP was talking about). I definitely am going to make my kids (way down the road) drive something reasonably economical before they get a nice car. Assuming they're good enough kids to deserve a nice car from dad.. haha.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I had built a pretty hot little mustang a few years ago and when I tired of it advertised it for sale. The first people to look at it was a man and his 16 year old son that had just received his license. The kid was hot for the car and I knew I had a sale for my asking price but pulled the father aside and had a talk with him about what was going to happen. I hated to miss the sale but honestly couldn't sell the car to him without first having this conversation. If he wanted the car after our discussion I was o.k. with taking his money though. The father called me the next day and thanked me for the info and said that they had bought the kid a Hyundai.

Then I felt sorry for the kid!:laugh:

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Grant County
    Maybe not yours, but it's mine.

A 16 year old, with a rocket sled and NO financial concerns is scary enough. Add to it the crazy emo of having millionaire superstar parents divorcing?

My adult children drive around this area with my grand kids. YES, this is my business.

I suppose I can see you point. But to play the devil's advocate.
    What you say can ring familiar of an anti-gun liberal saying the same thing about "all those crazy gun carrying people".
    Just sayin'

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Generally speaking, a 400+ hp car is not a goodstarter car for a 16 year old. But there are always exceptions, and who knows what the kid is prepared for better than his parents?

To those that say what about the kids that drove the late 60s early 70s muscle cars- Most of those cars would not touch their modern counterparts in any performance category, when you compare stock cars to stock cars. Even cars like a 69 Vette with a 427 are not even close to a modern LS3 equipped Vette.

casselmb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Generally speaking, a 400+ hp car is not a goodstarter car for a 16 year old. But there are always exceptions, and who knows what the kid is prepared for better than his parents?

To those that say what about the kids that drove the late 60s early 70s muscle cars- Most of those cars would not touch their modern counterparts in any performance category, when you compare stock cars to stock cars. Even cars like a 69 Vette with a 427 are not even close to a modern LS3 equipped Vette.

This is exactly what i was talking about. :yesway:

d1wil

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    I wish him the best with his new ride,i remember when i got my first hot rod,it's a wonder i didn't get killed but i made it to the ripe ol age of 55 and now i keep it under 55 :)

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Grant County
    Making our business their business.
    I'm not trying to poke, prod or argue. Just trying to look at this situation from all angles.
    Thanks.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415
    Top Bottom