Status
    Not open for further replies.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    No, you heard about someone (four actually) developed Bell's Palsy during the trial. There's no proof the vaccine caused it.

Correct.

Bell's Palsy has a prevalence of between 12 and 40 occurrences (depends upon the source and year) per 100,000 population.

If you enrolled 30,000 people in a study of whether they liked pineapple on pizza or not, you would expect somewhere between 3.6 and 12 of them to develop Bell's Palsy.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Correct.

Bell's Palsy has a prevalence of between 12 and 40 occurrences (depends upon the source and year) per 100,000 population.

If you enrolled 30,000 people in a study of whether they liked pineapple on pizza or not, you would expect somewhere between 3.6 and 12 of them to develop Bell's Palsy.

How many were in the trial? Surely not 30,000.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Not likely unless and until I see a good track record of success and no serious side effects.

Unless you are in a high priority group (e.g. Healthcare worker, nursing home resident, etc) you may get your wish. Seems like its going to be months before the vaccines are generally available.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    dcvlyAp.jpg

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    It's not experimental. I think there is a pretty massive knowledge gap in this country in how clinical trials work. Fast =/= rushed, experimental or dangerous.

Actually it is experimental that’s why the FDA had to give it emergency authorization.
    Right now, the vaccine has been tested on .000875% of our world's population and at best we know ~6 months of any "long term" effects. Really, we don't even know how long the vac's effects will last for most people. It's a novel vaccine with methods not previously used on humans. I'm comfortable saying it is "experimental" at this point. When we study it after a couple years with millions of doses applied, then it would be out of the "experimental" phase.

If it makes you feel better I’ll rephrase my comments with the word “new”

I'm not saying anyone should skip it. At the same time, nobody should be forced to take it. It would be foolish to take all of a given category of people, especially those in critical roles like medical and force them to take a new drug with no human-proven long-term history.

Last edited:

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Do you want my full write up with references or a quick and dirty? Sure, you know me, but many here do not...maybe I should do a full write up. Stay tuned...

Put me down for the full write up with references, please. :)

Seriously, if you've already done a bunch of leg work, please share.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    We are about to administer several million doses of an experimental vaccine to our entire medical community and you are worried about the people not taking it. :rolleyes:

I'm asking the question of those who do not take it: do you intend to avoid Covid? because Covid has a far higher side effect rate than the vaccine. And Covid kills 1 in 200 people it infects. (more frequent if you are over 50, less frequent if you are under 50)

So I'm legitimately wondering if those individuals that won't take the vaccine are taking steps to avoid Covid.

The risk discussion would change if other side effects are found. The vaccine has been given to tens of thousands. There might be some more rare effects, when we get to millions.

By the way it's not "experimental". It went through all of the normal vaccine trials. It's "emergency use authorization" is until it's been around for 3 years, the way I understand it.

I would agree with waiting if Covid would agree to sit on the sidelines for a couple of years.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    I'm asking the question of those who do not take it: do you intend to avoid Covid? because Covid has a far higher side effect rate than the vaccine. And Covid kills 1 in 200 people it infects. (more frequent if you are over 50, less frequent if you are under 50)

So I'm legitimately wondering if those individuals that won't take the vaccine are taking steps to avoid Covid.

Same as I’ve been doing :dunno: I’m in an extremely rural area with livestock, didn’t get out much pre covid my life has changed very little.
    Are we not continuing with Covid protocol even after being vaccinated?

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Same as I’ve been doing :dunno: I’m in an extremely rural area with livestock, didn’t get out much pre covid my life has changed very little.
    Are we not continuing with Covid protocol even after being vaccinated?

Well, everybody is different. If you are not getting out much then postponing the vaccine makes more sense.

For people who are dining in restaurants frequently, or other means of potential exposure, they are going to eventually catch it. So their risk choices are (for all practical purposes) Covid or the vaccine.

It sounds like you have the third choice.

Edit to add: people who have a high-risk relative or who are likely to need Healthcare themselves soon should also lean towards the vaccine in my opinion

Last edited:

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Also I'm not yet comfortable with the Astra-Zeneca vaccine for a couple of reasons. Some errors in the trial may turn out to be understandable and no big deal, but it doesn't breed confidence in the conclusions.

also, if it turns out to be correct that there was better immunity with a half dose given the first time, what does that mean? Does that mean that normal doses might be causing immunity to the adenovirus vector? If so that vaccine may quickly become ineffective at subsequent dosages. Or maybe it's just a statistical fluke. But this one needs more verification either way IMO

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    also, if it turns out to be correct that there was better immunity with a half dose given the first time, what does that mean? Does that mean that normal doses might be causing immunity to the adenovirus vector? If so that vaccine may quickly become ineffective at subsequent dosages. Or maybe it's just a statistical fluke. But this one needs more verification either way IMO

The mistaken half doses all went to study participants under the age of 55. This is the group more likely to develop a strong immune response and less likely to have a severe case of Covid even if they did get sick.

But yes, it does need more testing, and I am glad that is underway.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom