• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    I went there this morning, and since it was a Saturday morning I knew it would be busy. So i checked in and talked to the range officer. All the lanes at the 25 yard range were taken except for the very last one which was the table type lane. So I put my target up and began enjoying my day, and about a half hour later the range officer comes marching down my way. He proceeds to stop me and tells me I can't shoot where I'm shooting. I said, why? and he points to a sign and tells me its for shotgun shot only. And I was like okay no problem I'll gather my things and move to a different lane. I knew I was in the wrong, I didn't see the sign it was an honest mistake. Well the range officer decided to get defensive and blow up at me. Mind you I'm a big believer in if you show someone respect, you will get respect in return. At this point I had enough with his arrogance and he was not getting anymore respect from me. So we shared a little bit of words, nothing too extreme or anything really bad. No cussing or anything like that. He then proceeds to kick me out which by that point I was okay with, but then he demands my sign in card and writes my license plate number down. So I gave him my card and left. I will never go back to willow slough's range ever again. I'll drive the extra twenty minutes to jasper pulaski.

All of this could have been avoided if he would have realized that it was just an honest mistake, and I would have kindly moved to a different lane and we wouldn't of had the problem we had.

matt4shadow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Hobart
    There is one guy there that I know you are talking about. I have had experiance with him and two others. He is the worst...probably mad because you made him get out of his chair. Another one asked me to stop double tapping, said it was too fast. Last guy actually thanked me for imposing range safety on the person I went with.

I consider myself to be very respectful and strictly follow the rules. Its just like anywhere else you go, there is always some jerk trying to puff out his chest in some way.
    LOVE hunting there though.

2500ekW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Zionsville
    It was likely the old full-time officer who is now semi-retired, but still comes to hang out at the range when he needs an ego boost. I know attendance increased greatly when he retired. Maybe it will go back down if he sticks around too much, and my dad and I will be able to get lanes next to each other.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Yeah there is one guy there who can be a bit of a pain and there really was no reason for him to blow up at you. He tends be be very unfriendly and goes very overboard with some stuff. I think mabye us users should get togather and see if we can do something about it.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    Yes, when I want to shoot farther than 50 yards in my back yard range I go to JP which is almost an hour for me by the time I sign in then go back to the range rather than the 20 minute drive to the slough. Some power trip ROs at the slough.

manygunsmike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Cedar Lake Indiana
    Well I got a good yelling at a few years ago for "Rapid firing " my M91/30 bolt action I shot three shots and got a ear full from the range officer ! I sighted in and shot cycled another round sighted in and shot and then after my third shot I was being YELLED to STOP !! You would have thought I killed somebody or something..?? I left as soon as he went back into his metal box.

manygunsmike

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Property of the State of Indiana. These folks are from the government and they just want to help.

Does anybody else notice the quantity of complaints about the DNR ranges compared to complaints on this forum about private ranges?

You actually tolerate getting "yelled at"?

I go to my home range to shoot because even though we have almost 400 members, I am on "my" private property. I just have to follow the range rules that are created by the membership.

Surely there is a private range near everybody on this forum?

I will stop my rant now. Thanks for your time.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I went there this morning, and since it was a Saturday morning I knew it would be busy. So i checked in and talked to the range officer. All the lanes at the 25 yard range were taken except for the very last one which was the table type lane. So I put my target up and began enjoying my day, and about a half hour later the range officer comes marching down my way. He proceeds to stop me and tells me I can't shoot where I'm shooting. I said, why? and he points to a sign and tells me its for shotgun shot only. And I was like okay no problem I'll gather my things and move to a different lane. I knew I was in the wrong, I didn't see the sign it was an honest mistake. Well the range officer decided to get defensive and blow up at me. Mind you I'm a big believer in if you show someone respect, you will get respect in return. At this point I had enough with his arrogance and he was not getting anymore respect from me. So we shared a little bit of words, nothing too extreme or anything really bad. No cussing or anything like that. He then proceeds to kick me out which by that point I was okay with, but then he demands my sign in card and writes my license plate number down. So I gave him my card and left. I will never go back to willow slough's range ever again. I'll drive the extra twenty minutes to jasper pulaski.

All of this could have been avoided if he would have realized that it was just an honest mistake, and I would have kindly moved to a different lane and we wouldn't of had the problem we had.

I was checking in there right as you were getting the boot. =) Some guys I know that were two stations over said that you were arguing with the RO. Now to be fair, I WAS NOT THERE, so I didn't hear the exchange, but that's what was relayed to me. I'm sure it was an honest mistake, as someone else did the same thing later in the afternoon.

The RO that was there yesterday is more confrontational than the guy that used to be there.

sdman11890

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    Highland

As I was leavin I saw him storming over your direction. He sure thinks he's God's gift to shooters. I brought one of my friends there Saturday who had never shot a gun. I failed to tell him to act like he had, and when the RO heard it was his first time you'da thunk he was tryin to teach calculus to a special ed class for as slow, deliberate, and pissed off as that old fart was.

Anyone know a private range closer to NWI that'll let me shoot rifle?

roaming bull

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2011
    you guys act like big babies!the range is clean and the r.o. is just making it a safe place to shoot!thanks to you that station has been removed.sucks if you want to pattern a shotgun ,like the sign said: shotgun shot only!

sdman11890

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    Highland
    you guys act like big babies!the range is clean and the r.o. is just making it a safe place to shoot!thanks to you that station has been removed.sucks if you want to pattern a shotgun ,like the sign said: shotgun shot only!

Well I asked the RO if I could pattern my shotgun with buckshot (which seems like something I should be able to do) and he looked at me like I was a retard and said "No of course not. I said nothin bigger'an 6 shot."

So I guess you could pattern your gun for bird season...

victor 1971

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    The region
    I will never shoot at the range there. Just hunt. Go to JP. Same distance as the slough.
    The range masters will even let you rapid fire when it's not crowded.

Top Bottom