• ...and so much more!
  • jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    Anyone been there lately to the shooting range? I haven't been in 20 years and was wondering if it's worth it to make the 1 hour trip. I have a couple of new shotguns I need to try out.

eatdessertfirst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    IMHO , its a pretty nice range. ON the north end they have an area for shot guns . Rapid fire not allowed . I emptied my 10/22 there once and the officer asked if I got it out of my system. I said yes. He said good. If not, I would have to leave.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Anyone been there lately to the shooting range? I haven't been in 20 years and was wondering if it's worth it to make the 1 hour trip. I have a couple of new shotguns I need to try out.

It's a good range. But it is not what you probably remember from 20 years ago. It is much more refined now with cement in the bench areas and a range officer on duty.

"Back in the day" you could bring whatever junk you wanted and blow it to kingdom come. Now you can only shoot at paper targets.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Last time i was there, a couple years back, got into an argument about if i had to have a carry permit in order to fire there. After that, I have not been back there. Was a pretty nice range, and wouldn't mind going back, but if I had to deal with that idiot again, i would rather drive to another range then deal with that.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    There was a range officer there that was pretty much a jerk at times. the guy that is there now seems to be very pleasant. He does his job but he treats everyone nice from what I see.

insanemonkey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Lake County
    I went last summer, after the law changed, and was told that I had to have my LTCH on me at all times. No big deal I have it on me anyways, but it is my understanding that it is not a requirement any more.

I can only speak to the 25 yard range, which was OK. The shooting benches are nice and they are covered. Did not like that the 25 yards was the shortest distance. Plus the chicken wire on the target stands, made it hard to get my targets up straight. I would love it if there was movable target stands or at least a few closer then 25 yards.

It seems to be geared a lot more towards rifles then anything else. If I ever get the money together for an AR15 that is probably where I will shoot it. Overall its a nice place and a fairly nice drive to get there. The Range officer was a bit grumpy though. Maybe he was just having a bad day.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Willow Slough is pretty decent. They don't ask about LTCH's anymore, since they're no longer required to take your gun to the range. :rolleyes: (that was a dumb law)

It fills up fast on nice, weekend days. The RO's are a little gruff, but don't really bother you if you are polite and know what you're doing. No rapid fire. I'd suggest bringing some cardboard to staple your targets to. They have chicken wire for backing and on a sunny or windy day, it's tough going with the targets pinned up there with the clothespins they provide. Pistol range has about 10 stations, but only one is shorter than 25 yds. (10 yds I think) They also have 50 and 100 yd. rifle ranges, a shotgun range and archery range, with a tower platform to shoot from to simulate a stand, I guess. The range is pretty much self-policed as far as hot/cold go, and everyone that's been there has been pretty easy to get along with. Occasionally you'll have the dude that shows up 5 minutes after a stoppage and want another one right away, but that's not too frequent.

It's worth the trip.

EAGLE115

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    HAMMOND
    Willow Sloughs not bad. I like it cuz they have nice, covered, shooting benches or stalls at the 50 & 100 yd. ranges. Also I can line up my weapons then go to the other side of the parking lot & practice archery if I want. Everyone follows the safety rules pretty well & usally cooperates w/each other as far as going down range etc.

Some RO s can be kinda crabby, like they don t want 2 be there or something but for the most part they re alrite. Depends who s there at the time.
    One time while I was setting up on the archery range the RO came over & told me that even though I was on the archery range I still had 2 have a permit. (meaning the card they give you to fill out when you check in w/ the RO) I pulled it out of my back pocket & said "I have one" he said "where did you get that?" I said "you gave it to me ten minutes ago in your hut" he kinda laughed & said "Oh, I must be getting old" then walked away scratching his head. :ar15:

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I wouldnt mind carrying the card they give you at the range, no problem with that, but since Im still kind of visiting the area, and working on getting my LTCH, I dont want to be hassled over it, ESPECIALLY since no one else does, and since I dont need to have one to transport. Oh well, looks like I can wait a couple more years. Kingsbury is pretty nice outside range too.

EAGLE115

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    HAMMOND
    The card is just to show that you checked in w/ the RO & that he s given you the little safety talk, what the painted red & yellow lines mean, when not to cross em etc. There s a little clip nailed to the post next to the stall you re at & you hang it there while you re using it. You put it in a little mail box type thing when you re done.

I must say, as far as my AR15 & M1A, & just going to shoot for fun. I d rather go to Jasper Pulaski. The benches aren t as nice but it s more spread out & they re a little more lenient on the No Rapid Fire rule.

Also they have a 225yd range (don t ask me why 225yds, I don t know, neither did the RO I talked to) I guess if everyone s in agreement, or you re the only one there, you can move up to 200yds & set up & shoot from there.

They both have the chicken wire backstop deal. I always bring a big piece of card board & put my targets on that then hang the cardboard on the chicken wire.

Never tried Kingsbury, looked pretty nice the few times I ve been by there.:ar15:

Top Bottom