• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    A few months back my dad picked up an old 1948 CJ-2A, as kind of a project for us to play with and restore. It's in running condition, but it needs a lot of work.

So right now I'm asking myself how much I want to invest in this vehicle. Do I want to do a complete restoration, and try to keep everything original? Patch it up and just keep it running? Maybe restore it and make it fun to use, but don't bother keeping it original?

I thought I'd see if anyone else here has an old Willys with any stories or experiences to share. So far I've had fun driving it around his 17 acre property. How are they on the road? I don't think it's even capable of reaching highway speeds, but are they fun to cruise around town if I get it street-legal and plated?

I'm also having difficulty finding out Indiana's requirements for an antique vehicle to be made street legal. I'm guessing the usual stuff like turn signals, seat belts, tail lights...does anyone know where to find this information?

Thanks!

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    jeep1.jpg

Well all I have with me is a cruddy cameraphone pic. I'll post some better ones when I find them!

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Ditto on the pics !!! We had a Willys when I was a kid... don't know much about what it was except for what it looks like...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Some good places to start:
    Classic Jeep Forum - JeepsUnlimited.com Forums

MB and GPW "Jeeps" - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite

WillysOnline.com - Willys Overland, Willys Knight, Willys Jeeps Trucks and Wagons

The CJ2A Page Forums

From my limited experience (I have a 1980 CJ), full restorations are big $$$$, trail bombers are cheap, and road-worthy-but-rough is reasonable.

Top speed is about 45 MPH. Does it have a title? If so, registration should be easy. Lights, signals, and lap-belts should make it legal.

I'd love to have an old Willys to cruise around in! You should have a blast with it....

Oh, Almost forgot. If you are looking for some like-minded Jeep nuts, check out WWW.JPFROG.ORG :: Official Cyberplace for JP Frog Off-Roaders 4x4 Club or Indiana 4WD Association - Home Page

Uralguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Kokomo
    I had a 50 Panel delivery. Pretty extensive restoration. Money pit and I miss it. It had a Warn overdrive. Flat head six. Maybe 66 miles an hour down hill. It would climb a tree in low.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    Steve -- Like 'eldirector' said, lots of information on the Willys on the internet. I have a '46 CJ2A, that needs a lot of work & love. It is driveable (currently without a fuel tank) and is tagged. I took mine to the state police post to have it inspected and a form filled out so I could get tags. You are required to have on it, only those items from the original time of purchase. Mine does not have seat belts and only a wiper on the drivers side. If you are in the central part of the state, there is a group that has a 1 day "jeep fest", normally in late June. Good luck and have fun!!! -- Greg

Rogue42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    McCordsville
    I have a 68 cj5. Affectionately known as Frankenstien. 68 cj body, 66 Jeep truck frame, Axles from a 79 jeep, engine from a buick, steering column and seatbelts from a late 70's Chevy.

Been a long term project, currently rewiring, close to being finished with that and then put back together. Recent health problems slowed me on it again.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I had two old Willys years back. A 47 CJ and a 46 DJ. Loved them both. I want another one so bad...LOL They are hard to find in decent shape. I would be happy with just the DJ again.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    You will soon come to find out what Jeep stands for, whether you do a restoration or rod it.

Just
    Empty
    Every
    Pocket

I have a '78 CJ 7. I know. LOL!

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I absolutely love the old ‘flat fenders’. I have a 1944 MB a 1946 CJ2A and also a 1979 CJ7. All of them are in the ‘project’ stage.

I would say repair or replace what ever needs attention but don’t do any major modifications and leave it as original as possible. I wouldn’t do a total restore, unless you don’t mind scratching the new paint, and take it out and use it for what it was built for.

Bucky

Jerry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    S. Indy
    I agree with Bucky623.

Restorations are possible and expensive, but are quite rewarding. Fix what needs to be fixed, but don't change it to much. Anoher option is to slowly aquire the parts needed for the full restoration and complete the jeep as time and money permit.

Luckily, parts and information is fairly available for the older Jeeps, but if you are having trouble finding a part for it send me a PM as I have resources for finding old (civi and military) Jeep and other Military vehicle parts.

Where are you in IN? Don't forget the Military Vehicle Preservationist Association's national convention in Evansville, IN if you're nearby or willing to make the trip. Although the show will be geared towards Military vehicles it may still present an opportunity to shop around for parts or make contacts for finding CJ parts too.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I'm in Valparaiso. That jeep convention sounds pretty cool, but it's a pretty long ways away from me.

I appreciate all the advice. It's been very helpful.

So, for those of you who have or have had a similar vehicle, do you use them as off-road only? If not, how do they fare on the road (obviously for short, low-speed trips only).

I suppose for now I'll just fix up the obvious stuff. A few more questions:

The choke cable appears to be too long, making it curl around a lot. Because of this the choke doesn't move like it should. Does anyone know how to shorten these cables? If I cut it, how do I strip back the outer layer of metal to expose the inner cable?

The steering is pretty loose. Is that by design, or does this need the front end tightened up?

It has a 12V conversion, including what looks like a newer distributor? Is this a good conversion to have? I know on my old ford 8N the 12V conversion made a HUGE difference in ease of starting.

Thanks, all.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I do use my '78 CJ-7 for mild off-road adventures. Mainly though I drop the top and use it to cruise around the local area in all summer long...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    So, for those of you who have or have had a similar vehicle, do you use them as off-road only? If not, how do they fare on the road (obviously for short, low-speed trips only).
    Mine is 99% off-road, but make the occasional ice cream run in the summer. These old Jeeps can be a handful at speed, but make fun little around-town cruisers!
    The choke cable appears to be too long, making it curl around a lot. Because of this the choke doesn't move like it should. Does anyone know how to shorten these cables? If I cut it, how do I strip back the outer layer of metal to expose the inner cable?
    The outer sheath and inner cable are two separate pieces. You can pull the inner wire completely out (snip the end of, and pull on the knob). Trim the outer sheath to length (leave a little slack) and re-attach to the choke. Re-insert the inner wire, and then trim it to the right length (usually 2-3 inches longer than the outer piece) and reattach as well.

The steering is pretty loose. Is that by design, or does this need the front end tightened up?
    Yep. Good 'ole Jeep steering! Check/replace ALL bushings, tie-rod ends, balljoints, steering shaft joints, etc... There isn't much to align - mostly just the toe-in. The steering box should have an adjuster on the top to take up any slack. Google "jeep steering box adjust" for directions. Don't both with this adjustment until ALL other loose/worn items have been addressed.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Thanks, eldirector. Guess I'll be doing that choke cable then I'll start on replacing the steering parts.

Maybe I need a slightly later model jeep as well for cruising around town, then another one to use for.....

This could become a problem for me. Any tips on how to explain this to a wife/hide this from a wife? Lol.

Top Bottom