• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AverageMidwest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fishers
    Visited Cabelas a little while back in a (futile) search for .45 ACP rounds. Since I was there, I picked up an eight round Wilson Combat 1911 magazine. Let it sit for a couple of months, finally loaded it and swapped it for a loaded mag in the 1911 in the night holster. Felt a little sticky going in, but it did fit and the piece went into battery. Decided to field strip and clean piece today...and lo and behold, the new magazine refused to drop from the mag well when I pressed the mag release! Release felt like it was hung up, had to use fingernails to pull the mag out. I must have a dozen 1911 magazines - Wilson, Mecgar, Chip McCormick, etc - and have never had this issue before. After cleaning/lube, I reloaded the new mag - same problem. I unloaded the magazine and tried a couple of others, no problem with them. Has anyone encountered a similar problem? Naturally I've lost the receipt....

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Visited Cabelas a little while back in a (futile) search for .45 ACP rounds. Since I was there, I picked up an eight round Wilson Combat 1911 magazine. Let it sit for a couple of months, finally loaded it and swapped it for a loaded mag in the 1911 in the night holster. Felt a little sticky going in, but it did fit and the piece went into battery. Decided to field strip and clean piece today...and lo and behold, the new magazine refused to drop from the mag well when I pressed the mag release! Release felt like it was hung up, had to use fingernails to pull the mag out. I must have a dozen 1911 magazines - Wilson, Mecgar, Chip McCormick, etc - and have never had this issue before. After cleaning/lube, I reloaded the new mag - same problem. I unloaded the magazine and tried a couple of others, no problem with them. Has anyone encountered a similar problem? Naturally I've lost the receipt....

did you happen to change the stocks?......if so could be the stock screws binding the mag

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You can start raising the slot a bit at a time (tiny bits and keep it square) until it works, You saying the mag release seems bound up makes me think this. But again, not in hand so guessing is the rule here.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    not uncommon for 1911s to not get smooth operation out of every brand of mag even the top quality ones, such finite specs, that's why testing your pistol reveals what works and what doesn't...

AverageMidwest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fishers
    You may get a turd from any company that puts a product out. It happens. Plus spec stacking could be an issue as well. Whos 1911 are you running. Just curious.
    Originally an RIA GI clone...after a while I got thumb safety and hammer swapped out, different/bigger sights, sent it to Armando out in Pahrump to be breathed on a little, been reliable as sunrise no matter what I fed to it. Paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $425 for it probably 25 years ago as a cheap way to dip my toes in the 1911 pool. Knowing what I know now, I could get something (a lot) better for the same money I put into it. Ain't hindsight wonderful? But, you know, sentimental value etc etc...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Originally an RIA GI clone...after a while I got thumb safety and hammer swapped out, different/bigger sights, sent it to Armando out in Pahrump to be breathed on a little, been reliable as sunrise no matter what I fed to it. Paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $425 for it probably 25 years ago as a cheap way to dip my toes in the 1911 pool. Knowing what I know now, I could get something (a lot) better for the same money I put into it. Ain't hindsight wonderful? But, you know, sentimental value etc etc...
    Just curious more than anything. If it runs any other mag you may look at the mags and compare the positing of the retention slot bon the shooters right side of the mag.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I noticed in the Dillon Blue Press that there are a few different Wilson 1911 magazines for sale with different prices. Besides capacity, what are the differences?

Top Bottom