Wilson Combat 1911 .45 for how much? no way! no really, that much?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gm652

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    Seymour
    I was gun shopping today and found a new wilson combat 1911 .45 with a price tag of $7100. I did ask if that was a misprint. The young man assured me it was correct and went on to say that similar models have sold very well in the same ballpark on price. I'm all about charging a price that the market will bear. I believe in capitalism 100% but someone please help me understand what makes wc pistols worth that much. I have had several guns worked on by very qualified gunsmiths with outstanding result for many times less then the cost of this gun..someone please help me understand..I'm all ears..

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Some of their high end stuff is really outrageous to me, but I'm sure there are some 1911 people who can afford to pay and will pay that much for one.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    I was gun shopping today and found a new wilson combat 1911 .45 with a price tag of $7100. I did ask if that was a misprint. The young man assured me it was correct and went on to say that similar models have sold very well in the same ballpark on price. I'm all about charging a price that the market will bear. I believe in capitalism 100% but someone please help me understand what makes wc pistols worth that much. I have had several guns worked on by very qualified gunsmiths with outstanding result for many times less then the cost of this gun..someone please help me understand..I'm all ears..

It didn't happen or you would have pictures. :dunno: But my guess would be that is was a Super-grade Tactical w/Turnbull additives.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I have had several guns worked on by very qualified gunsmiths with outstanding result for many times less then the cost of this gun..someone please help me understand..I'm all ears..

Why does a Breitling cost so much more than a Timex when it doesn't keep time any better?

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Even for their Supergrade series, that's a bit high (MSRP, NEW, is about $5200).

Then again, there are no lists, first come, first serve, so I would imagine some huckle-**** marking it up. Like the Milt Sparks holsters, sure, you can wait a year and pay a few hundred, or buy one now online for ALOT more and get it immediately.

Having fired two in my life, there is a solid reason they are worth that much... Yes, there is a name thing. One can get a Les Baer or similar full custom build for about 2-4k, but there's an aesthetic quality not present in those customs.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Wilsons are as good a 1911, IMHO, as your money can buy.. When you get to a 7K Wilson (or any other pistol) you are talking about a barbecue gun. Just my .02
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT] NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [h=3]Certified Glock armorer—GSSF Member[FONT=&quot][/FONT][/h] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]1911, M&P & Ruger MK III Mechanic[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Last edited:

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    As with beauty, value is also in the eye of the beholder. The Wilson Combat 1911's are hand-made by craftsmen and are, if you look closely, a work of art. Do they perform better than a mass-produced 1911? Probably not so much to justify the price. But then why would anyone pay $500K for a Lambo that vs. $75K for a Corvette when both will do essentially the same thing, at least under the circumstances where you can use them.

Clearly there is a market for high-end 1911's like the ones from Wilson and so I have to assume that there are people who believe it's something they WANT to have.

For me? No way! If I had $7000 to spend on firearms I think my shopping list would be a bit longer than:

QTY DESCRIPTION PRICE
    ----------------------------------
    1 Wilson Combat 1911 $7100

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As with beauty, value is also in the eye of the beholder. The Wilson Combat 1911's are hand-made by craftsmen and are, if you look closely, a work of art. Do they perform better than a mass-produced 1911? Probably not so much to justify the price. But then why would anyone pay $500K for a Lambo that vs. $75K for a Corvette when both will do essentially the same thing, at least under the circumstances where you can use them.

Clearly there is a market for high-end 1911's like the ones from Wilson and so I have to assume that there are people who believe it's something they WANT to have.

For me? No way! If I had $7000 to spend on firearms I think my shopping list would be a bit longer than:

QTY DESCRIPTION PRICE
    ----------------------------------
    1 Wilson Combat 1911 $7100

Yup

gm652

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    Seymour
    The gun is for sale at the Indiana gun club in fishers..along with several others for 4-6k...

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The gun is for sale at the indiana gun club in fishers..along with sever others for 4-6k...

They are known for stocking high end 1911 offerings but the area up there will support that. If I hit the lottery there would be a few of those in my safe. Until then (not holding breath) I will stay in the 1K area and do the internal love myself.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Even for their Supergrade series, that's a bit high (MSRP, NEW, is about $5200).

Then again, there are no lists, first come, first serve, so I would imagine some huckle-**** marking it up. Like the Milt Sparks holsters, sure, you can wait a year and pay a few hundred, or buy one now online for ALOT more and get it immediately.

Having fired two in my life, there is a solid reason they are worth that much... Yes, there is a name thing. One can get a Les Baer or similar full custom build for about 2-4k, but there's an aesthetic quality not present in those customs.

Agree. You're paying more but don't have the 2 year wait that you do when you order the exact one you want custom from WC.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I think SERparacord was right upthread. Indy Gun Club is only a few blocks away from me so I may go see it for myself, but they are a Master dealer for Wilson and they get to spec guns rather than take the simple allocations that other gun shops warrant. I'm seen a couple pictures on the Wilson site of guns that ended up going to the Indy Gun Club. One of them was a Turnbull blued, case colored Supergrade with fossilized Wooly Mammoth tusk grips. Take a $5K Supergrade, add $1K for the grips alone, another $1K-$2K for the custom bluing and the French border machining, checkering, etc. and that gun hit $7K pretty quick.

I think mine are worth what I paid for them, but past the $3K or so of a CQB Elite, Professional or BWC I concede that you're buying personalization and gunsmithing art.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    To me, a $7100 1911 speaks volumes about why I love 1911s. I'll never be able to afford something like that, but am happy that it exists none the less. The 1911 can be anything from a pedestrian Rock Island or Remington to a hand crafted work of art and still be pure 1911. There is a place in the world (and my safe) for the utility guns like a Glock but I'll always have room for something that was crafted by a human being. In an age of automation that's taking the human out of a lot of production work, you have to love something that's built by a craftsman.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    To me, a $7100 1911 speaks volumes about why I love 1911s. I'll never be able to afford something like that, but am happy that it exists none the less. The 1911 can be anything from a pedestrian Rock Island or Remington to a hand crafted work of art and still be pure 1911. There is a place in the world (and my safe) for the utility guns like a Glock but I'll always have room for something that was crafted by a human being. In an age of automation that's taking the human out of a lot of production work, you have to love something that's built by a craftsman.

Great post, till you said Glock. :n00b:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    My WC 1911 was ~$2700 from IGC and I put about $700 into it after that.

Worth every penny IMHO - it's my EDC and I trust my life with it.

Top Bottom