• ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Hey guys,

My son is a little over 4 months old and I got to thinking, that I don't really have any family heirlooms that I can pass on to him that he can pass on one day, etc...

I don't really 'collect' anything beyond tools, which will be mine until the day I pass or I can't use them any longer and, if they're still in good shape, sure - he can have them :).

I'm thinking about ordering a Wilson Combat 1911 and having it customized, engraving the slide either with our last name or just our last initial, possibly our family crest or something similar. I've wanted a quality 1911 for a long time and I figure if I'm going to get one, I may as well get one worth keeping.

I don't plan on selling it, so I have no issues having it heavily customized.

I'm looking at the CQB with some customizations, or possibly an Ultracarry as it has a lot of the customizations my wife and I like on it already.

I'm open to any and all input as far as which 1911 model from WC, as well as customizations. For example I looked at the cone barrel with flutes versus the regular barrel with flat cut + reverse crown.

Also - has anybody ordered a custom gun right from WC, or would you suggest going through one of their retailers to order it? I am not out to get a 'great deal', but by all means I'm happy to save some funds if I can.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Order it directly. Talk it out in detail with a customer service rep. I recommend Scott. Make it your own. Tell them it's to be an heirloom. I think the Turnbull case-colored bluing they can have done is astounding. But it it needs to be personal to you.

Or engage a custom smith to build you one. But Wilson Combat will make you happy.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Order it directly. Talk it out in detail with a customer service rep.
    I figured that was the best way to go, but I wasn't sure if it was better to help support a local shop while also getting the gun that I desire. I like to do anything I can to help local businesses.

I recommend Scott.
    Drop me a PM and I'll make sure to let them know who recommended him if you wish. I don't think you'll get anything out of it, but it doesn't hurt.

Make it your own. Tell them it's to be an heirloom.
    Indeed - the wife and myself have been going over all of the various models, options, finishes, etc in great detail.

I think the Turnbull case-colored bluing they can have done is astounding. But it it needs to be personal to you.
    I'll have to do some image searches and see what it looks like. The hardest thing for me is that I'm a very visual/physical type of person. If I can't see it or it's not in my hands I have a hard time fully getting a grasp for it - so I've been going through the pictures on their site as well as images.google.com and trying to piece together in my mind what we would like.

Or engage a custom smith to build you one. But Wilson Combat will make you happy.
    I don't know any smiths well enough that I would know who I would want to go to. I'm sure I'll get to know one soon enough, but for now I think I have no issues leaving it to Wilson Combat to take care of my original build.

Oh, if you can swing it, get a Supergrade.
    I've been looking through all of the various models, and they all look good. At this point this is an investment for the family and the cost isn't really the issue as much as making sure we get a good quality gun that will stand the test of time both functionally and aesthetically. I'm still trying to piece together the major differences between the various models.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    They are all good. But the Supergrade is made by one smith, all the way through. I can't find a single fault with either of my CQBs, but the Supergrade is just that, super. There is a picture of a Supergrade that was delivered to the Indy Gun Club that was all case colored Turnbull blued with Mastodon grips that is absolutely spectacular.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    They are all good. But the Supergrade is made by one smith, all the way through. I can't find a single fault with either of my CQBs, but the Supergrade is just that, super. There is a picture of a Supergrade that was delivered to the Indy Gun Club that was all case colored Turnbull blued with Mastodon grips that is absolutely spectacular.
    Is it possible to get a stainless steel frame and slide finished? (i.e. black, gray, etc versus polished or matte silver)?

I'm interested in the stainless steel for sheer durability/resistance to oxidation but would prefer to have a darker finish. I don't think it's possible as my understanding is that the finishes are basically a controlled oxidation.

This is something I can obviously ask Wilson on the phone once they're open, but I figure if you know that saves me some time and Wilson some as well :).

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Yep, one of my staibless CQBs is finished in their Armor-Tuff. You can pick several colors. The stainless really can only be Armor-Tuff'd, polished or bead blasted though; no gorgeous Turnbull blueing.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Very interesting - depending on what sort of engraving we get refinishing it later on may or may not be a great idea. I'll have to ask about that as well. We don't plan on letting it rot in a safe, so the finish will need to be at least a little durable as well :).

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom