win..40 180gr jhp and hodgon titegroup data?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lutes85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    west side indy
    Have a question and im sure someone can help me out on here!

i have win 180gr jhp bullets and hodgon titegroup powder. On the reloading data center all they have listed for titegroup is Hornaday 180 GR. HDY XTP and its calling for 4.2 grains. is this an acceptable amount ..is there much diffrence between horn and win jhps?

thanks for the help!:D

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Allow me to start with a question: are you planning to use these for practice loads or for carry loads? I do suggest you carry factory ammo rather than reloads for a number of reasons.

Assuming these are for practice, the next question is which primers? I have found that mag. primers vs. std. primers equates to about 0.5 gr. Titegroup. So, if the loading data says std. primers and you use mag. primers, suggest you reduce the load by at least 0.5 grains.

Now, here is how I worked up a practice load for my Glocks using 180 grain jacketed bullets (Zero flat point fmj) and Titegroup: I loaded three each rounds in 0.2 gr. increments working down, until I found the load where the gun would not function (stovepipe.) From that, I added 0.3 gr. and had the lightest load that reliably functioned in my Glocks. Less wear and tear on the gun and almost unnoticable "bulge" in the cases.

In my case, with std. primers, it worked out at 3.7 gr. Titegroup. With mag. primers, it worked out to 3.2 gr. Titegroup. Your mileage may vary! :):

Be sure to get the seating depth right for correct functioning and potential over-pressure issues.

Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited:

lutes85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    west side indy
    thanks for the help .. these will be used for practice..maybe carrying hand loads for self defense is all that good of a idea... i use std. win. primers. so i will probably do a 3.8 to 4.0 grains too try out with the winchester 180 gr jhps and see how that works with my glock. i loaded my first batch of 165gr fmj with 4.6 grains last evening and shot them this morning and my gun ate them up and shot really well but i do plan on lowering the grains until the gun will not function and work back up..

thanks for the help

btw.. the seating depth is spot on too lees reloading book they called for 1.135 too min of 1.125..all came between 1.134 and 1.129

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I do not see a problem as long as your OAL is within spec according to the data. There is nothing wrong with setting your OAL a little longer at first, just to be on the safe side. Then you can make minor adjustments after test firing a batch.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    thanks for the help .. these will be used for practice..maybe carrying hand loads for self defense is all that good of a idea... i use std. win. primers. so i will probably do a 3.8 to 4.0 grains too try out with the winchester 180 gr jhps and see how that works with my glock. i loaded my first batch of 165gr fmj with 4.6 grains last evening and shot them this morning and my gun ate them up and shot really well but i do plan on lowering the grains until the gun will not function and work back up..

thanks for the help

btw.. the seating depth is spot on too lees reloading book they called for 1.135 too min of 1.125..all came between 1.134 and 1.129

One word of WARNING ****** it is very possible to have a squib and still have the firearm cycle and eject the case, :n00b: so be very careful when working loads down to the level where they will not operate the slide. :twocents:

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana

thanks for the help

You are most welcome. Love your photo, by the way. Nothing like a face full of nitro at about 200 decibels!

lutes85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    west side indy
    Thanks that's my day job lol work for Morgan Lucas Racing that photo was one of jr todd driving the car a couple years ago.. this year we have Brandon Bernstein behind the wheel with mav tv as a sponsor .. gotta love nitro....

one question for wolfman..im a newbie at reloading what does squib mean? thanks for the help!

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Thanks that's my day job lol work for Morgan Lucas Racing that photo was one of jr todd driving the car a couple years ago.. this year we have Brandon Bernstein behind the wheel with mav tv as a sponsor .. gotta love nitro....

one question for wolfman..im a newbie at reloading what does squib mean? thanks for the help!

Holey Moley!
    A long time ago, in a land far, far away, I worked at KBRE. One time, I was there after hours and Prudhomme's car was in the shop. I got in it and thought I'd have to wait until the morning for somebody to pull me out! Don was built like a parking meter. PM me sometime!

Now, regarding a "squib" load. It is the most dangerous of the three basic cartridge malfunctions: misfire, hangfire, and squib. The squib is a very low power round that can leave a bullet stuck in the barrel. Fire the next shot, and something "interesting" will happen--something like the old blower explosions when fuel cars ran lean!

Typically, a squib results from a reloader failing to put in a powder charge. The primer has enough power to push the bullet into the barrel but, usually, not enough to push it out of the barrel. When using a single-stage press, it is imperative to use loading blocks to inspect, visually, every case for precisely one powder charge.

Strongly suggest the books ABCs of Reloading and the Lyman Reloading Manual. Both are excellent.

Top Bottom