• Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    This is the response I received to my email:

Beginning on April 1st it will be mandated that the rifle range at Winamac FWA shall be manned with a range officer during all hours of operation. Unfortunately we do not have the personnel to man the range for the amount of days and hours that we were open prior to April 1[SUP]st[/SUP] of this year. Due to this mandate the range hours and days of operation will need to be decreased.

The separate muzzle loading tables were put in place for safety reasons to keep muzzle loading powder away from the shooting benches where accidental ignition could possibly occur.

Thanks for the information. Sounds similar to what the Winamac FWA told me on the phone today. Well...I guess it will be what it will be. The state will do as they see fit. I guess if one does not like the changes, one can always join a pay per year private range.

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I live in Winamac, and I was told about a year ago, that these changes were going to happen. From what I was told, it isn't a matter of lack of personnel, but rather, the State doesn't want to pay in excess of 37.5 hours a week for workers. Sounds kind of feeble since I just received an email from my state rep detailing what great fiscal shape the State is in. Also, I was told that the State is concerned about safety, to my knowledge there has never been a bodily injury accident at the shooting range, someone would more liking be hurt by falling out of a tree stand. If the the money is so short, why not close the whole place down 2 days a week for everything year round? That would be ridiculous I know, but for a State that is recognized as the 9th most friendly gun state, it seems this whole situation is a little ironic.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    If money is the problem, why don't they do like Roush Lake, and others, do. Charge a admission fee(4 bucks).

Quite honestly...It would not surprise me if this were the case within the next few years, as it seems a lot of the other state ranges have gone this route. Just my opinion though, and like belly buttons everyone has one.

bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40
    From what I was told, it isn't a matter of lack of personnel, but rather, the State doesn't want to pay in excess of 37.5 hours a week for workers.
    Possibly because if they work someone more than those hours/week, benefits kick in that the state doesn't want to have to pay.

Sounds kind of feeble since I just received an email from my state rep detailing what great fiscal shape the State is in.
    Chicken<>Egg. Did the state get in good financial shape because they were frugal? Or, is the state being excessively frugal in spite of being in good financial shape? Rhetorical questions.

Also, I was told that the State is concerned about safety, to my knowledge there has never been a bodily injury accident at the shooting range...
    It's probably not what you meant, but the implication here is that we should wait until someone is hurt before we put safety policies in place.

If the the money is so short, why not close the whole place down 2 days a week for everything year round?
    That's what DNR is doing at the new Deer Creek range near Putnamville. DNR is also charging $7/hour to use the range.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    "they" won't be happy until all the ranges are pay to play. But i am sure that the money earned is being spent for good, by our oh soooo' honest bureaucrats. :(

Top Bottom