• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armyrangerdad

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    central indiana
    my stepdad just got a 94-44 produced in 1969, he brought it to me for cleaning and inspection. this is the first winchester lever gun i have ever seen up close, the lever seems wobbly to me as does the trigger. i got schematics on the gun and dissassembled for inspection. while cleaning and comparing parts with schematics and online pics/reviews i see nothing out of the ordinary or excessively worn.
    the gun seems to cycle fine and the lever works with moderate ease,i was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on whether or not this "wobbly" or loose feel of the trigger and lever are typical with this style and make of rifle. ( this only occurs with the lever in the down position with the bolt open) i appreciate any help and or comments.
    thanks!

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    The looseness in the lever is normal for a 94. That particular era was not known for great fit and finish from Winchester, anyway. With the lever closed, the action should feel good and tight . You might be able to move the bolt a tiny bit but no more than that.
    The 94 action was designed for rifle cartridges. The lever has a rather long throw because of the length of these cartridges. That is just the way it was designed. The lever actually works on the principal of a lever and fulcrum as it moves the bolt forward or to the rear. There is really no mechanical need for a tight fit of these parts to each other.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Also remember that John Moses Browning designed that gun!...it must be just fine! all the 94's I've ever handled seemed the same way!....enjoy!

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Maybe, the "wooble" comes from the previous owner who "twirl-cocked" it while on horse back, charging Lucky Ned Pepper's gang with reigns in teeth and Navy Colt in other hand.

Seriously, I too have a "big loop" Winchester 94 made in the 1960s that I inherited from my Pop. It seems seriously loose, but it has always shot very nicely.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom