• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bulletbill86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2023
    Indiana
    I have recently obtained a 1957 winchester 94 in 30-30 ... the trigger is super super light when it catches ... most of the time if you work the action the hammer doesn't stay cooked... and when it does stay cooked you can tap the buttstock with your hand and it fires .... I read some other forums and one suggested the sear ....I replaced this and nothing changed .... then I broke down the entire rifle ,cleaned and reassembled it ... still no change...this was just to be sure ...
    Does anyone know what's wrong or the likely cause ? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I have recently obtained a 1957 winchester 94 in 30-30 ... the trigger is super super light when it catches ... most of the time if you work the action the hammer doesn't stay cooked... and when it does stay cooked you can tap the buttstock with your hand and it fires .... I read some other forums and one suggested the sear ....I replaced this and nothing changed .... then I broke down the entire rifle ,cleaned and reassembled it ... still no change...this was just to be sure ...
    Does anyone know what's wrong or the likely cause ? Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Could be a worn hammer too. I'm not real familiar with the 94 trigger so I don't know how the trigger itself engages everything.

Bulletbill86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2023
    Indiana
    Thankyou for all replies ... after reading more on it . I took it back apart then assembles the hammer and trigger outside of the gun I found the bottom notch on the hammer was rounded off or slightly slanted to the outside which was letting the sear drop off very very easily.... I took a small needle file and hit it a stroke or two and checked function it slowly got better and better. So I reassembled the gun and tried smacking butt of the rifle with my hand and it didn't drop the hammer ... I then used a rubber mallet and smacked the stock a few good times and still stayed cooked ... the thing I don't really like is the trigger is still feels light too me ... is it just the way these guns are ? so I believe it's fixed.. I still haven't put a shell in it and am currently looking for a pre 64 hammer as well due to me not being a professional gunsmith and instead more like a "gun plumber"... and that light feeling trigger

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Belated WELCOME to INGO....
    Yeah, a person can get into some trouble if you're not real careful with triggers==It seems like I remember Remington having some problems with their Model 700's???HA.HA..
    With your file you are probably?? taking off some of the hardened surface of the hammer to sear contact, so keep on the look out for New/Used parts.
    Try to avoid, (Like you are doing) putting any live ammo into the magazine until you have FIRM retention of the hammer..
    Again WELCOME to INGO....Bill.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I don't know about Winchesters but there are people with Marlins who like to file down the hammer or nub on the bottom
    of the bolt to lessen over travel on the hammer to "slick up the action".

If you want to replace the hammer you can try Numrich gun parts, Midwest Gun Works or Fleabay.

Top Bottom