• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rand60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    I have been looking at the Winchester 94 in 30-30. This is a classic old west gun. I'm not sure if it has any practical utility anymore. I think it could be used in some states for deer hunting...but not here in Indiana. I have seen prices in the 400-500 range for ones in good shape. i remember back in the 70s when one of these could be purchased for around $90. I guess everything is getting more expensive these days. Any thoughts about this riffle? Are they fun to shoot? Thanks

Avon76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    I have one with the octagon barrel and I love it. I bought it when I was in Texas to go hog hunting but never got a chance. Extremely accurate and a blast to shoot. I paid $600 for it but I wanted it and was helping someone out who had it in pawn. LOL - There are a lot going around in many different conditions. Mine was pristine so I was wiling to pay more, plus it had the octagon barrel.

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I have a Marlin 30-30 and love it. I actually saw a Winchester the other day in a local shop and it felt much smaller than my Marlin. I love old guns and their simple style. The one I saw was listed at $650 and it was in nice condition. My brother just bought a Marlin 30-30 the other day also to take out west. He plans on using it for defense against wolves, bears, mountain lions ect. as he camps/jeeps in the desert and other remote places.:ar15:

Pack Rat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Hard to beat a lever action for fun shooting. I have three. 2 are Model 94s and one Henry. I have my dads first deer rifle chambered in Winchester 32 Special. Dad always told me he could fill the living room to the ceiling with the deer he took with that rifle. I was offered 1000 for this rifle 10 years ago. I would never sell it,

grogie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Wheeling Around Indy
    I grew up using my grandpa's 94/22 shooting prairie dogs, and I personally own a 94/17. I've also thought about finding a 30-30 (in fact I was going to order one when I came across my 94/17). I love the smoothness of a model 94's lever action. They're fun to shoot!

Here is my 94/17...

17HMR.jpg

Rand60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Nice picture. Maybe I will have to pick up a model 94 sometime soon. They really look like a lot of fun. I guess it would be a good gun to do some target practice with. i have a friend who lives in Colorado. His family goes Elk hunting in the mountains every year in southern Colorado. He has invited me to go with him. Seems like a 3030 would be large enough to hunt deer or elk with. This is a gun that I have always wanted to own.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've had three 9422M's, a 94 Canadian Centennial and a Big Bore 94 in .307.
    I then got a Marlin in .44 mag.
    Currently own zero lever guns and am not the least bit bummed.

IMHO lever guns of 94 style look best without scopes. With my own aging eyes and kids wearing glasses (right handed, left eye dominant on top of that), preference is for optics...........so no lever guns for this house.

Did kill a lot of chucks yrs ago with iron sighted .22mag and my .307 Big Bore was beautifully finished, and shot like total crap.

grogie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Wheeling Around Indy
    ^I agree about the scope on a lever action not looking right. I think I'm going to remove it for my next prairie dog hunt next summer? Scopes are nice when their on target, but a pain when not...

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TravGreen2703!!
    Top Bottom