• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tsilveus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 4, 2014
    United States
    Anyone else have issues with the factory pistol brass from winchester? I am loading for .45 gap. I load XTP, coated, lead, FMJ and copper plated projectiles in 185 gr and 230 gr. I use a chronograph. When I Ioad at higher velocities, the winchester brass always shows signs of pressure (glock bulge) way before my other brass (Speer, Remington). It's a big difference too, sometimes as much as 100 fps difference in how much hotter I can load the non winchester brass. These are all brand new cases from Winchester. I have other cases that have been loaded 5 and 6 times already and they show no signs of pressure. It does not matter what powders I use either. Happens with power pistol, BE86, unique, cfe pistol, etc. I was going to try bullseye and american select, but ran out of XTPs (ordered but backordered). I have come to the conclusion that I have to use the winchester brass for my medium to light range session reloads. Anything hotter, I am just throwing away brass after one shot.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I can't speak to the .45 GAP specifically, or Winchester brass, but I have definitely seen variations in brass performance between brands. If I had my druthers, I'd have starline for everything, but part of the reason I reload is to save money, and I take what I can get, including range pickup.

My least favorite brass manufacturer is Hornady. I'm a big fan of the company, but I've had more problems with split necks on their brass than any other brand, and I've also found Hornady .45-70 and .357mag brass that is shorter than spec and causes problems in the crimp die (I think this is from their Leverevolution ammo).

Glocks, especially older ones, also are notorious for unsupported chambers. What generationnis your GAP? I've seen bulges in factory brass in 9mm and .40 that were shot through Glocks, but I can't remember the headstamp. I've actually been wanting a Glock 29 for a long time, but I've held off because I'm afraid I'll get a brass-bulger. Sig has been killing me for the past two years by hinting about a P320 in 10mm, but I think with the present stupidity it'll now be a long time before we see that, if we ever do. With the .45 GAP, you're even more limited...pretty much your only option is going to be Glock.

It sounds to me that your conclusions are correct, based on your observations. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do about it. I'd probably develop a load that I knew the Win brass could handle without bulging, and shoot it instead of my good stuff in situations where I knew it would be difficult or impossible to recover my brass. I'd also figure out what brass the gun likes best, and try to acquire a bunch of that. Just be careful, because it sounds like you're pushing the limits of that chamber and your components, and a ruptured case back by the head like that could make for a very bad day.

The other option would be to try to find and aftermarket barrel with more chamber support, but that's probably going to be hard to do in GAP, and even harder to justify if you have brass options that aren't having that issue.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Well, your issue got me curious enough that I went out and dug through my scrap bucket. I knew I remembered seeing a bunch of 9mm range pickup brass that had that same issue. Sure enough, I found it. It was all PPU. Being range pickup, I'm not sure what gun bulged it (primer impression actually doesn't look like a Glock)...but looking at it I'd say it's once-fired, so I'd shy away from PPU as well for hot loads.

In other news, I didn't realize how much primed brass I'd tossed in there over the years. With primers being so hard to find these days, it may be time to scavenge the scrap bucket!

tsilveus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 4, 2014
    United States
    I have gen 3 and gen 4 45 Gaps (only time they made them). I have loads for everything (range, hot, soft, self defense, etc.). I also have the Springfield xd GAPS. I'll have to see about buying some starline, but like u, I reload to save money and I only load really hot with the xp's and for self defense loads (so only a 100 or so per year). The other 2-3 k is loaded much milder with no signs ever. No need to push the others as fast. I knew about the glock bulge but hadn't seen it until I pushed the upper limits with the winchester brass. Just add it to the notes.

bigedp51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    Your Winchester brass is either thinner or softer than your other brands.

I use my reloads for practice and do not load them "HOT". It's easier on the pistol and the brass, below is a example of how I load my .40 S&W and 9mm ammo. I like it when the fired case hits my shoulder and fall into my shirt pocket. Just kidding, but you do not have to look all over for your brass when you load the light.

In closing being a reloader, I hate firearms that throw perfectly good brass away and makes me go look for it.

Make Right With a ".40 Lite"​

https://www.handgunsmag.com/editorial/ammunition_40lite_091806/138689

Just remember to not load too light, you might have to move closer to the target or lay it on the ground!

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I have some winchester 243 brass that blows holes in the wall above the base anywhere from 1/8" -1/2" . cut one in half and you can visually see difference in wall thickness. Uncentered ignition holes too. no more for me.

Rayz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2020
    Martinsville
    Anyone else have issues with the factory pistol brass from winchester? I am loading for .45 gap. I load XTP, coated, lead, FMJ and copper plated projectiles in 185 gr and 230 gr. I use a chronograph. When I Ioad at higher velocities, the winchester brass always shows signs of pressure (glock bulge) way before my other brass (Speer, Remington). It's a big difference too, sometimes as much as 100 fps difference in how much hotter I can load the non winchester brass. These are all brand new cases from Winchester. I have other cases that have been loaded 5 and 6 times already and they show no signs of pressure. It does not matter what powders I use either. Happens with power pistol, BE86, unique, cfe pistol, etc. I was going to try bullseye and american select, but ran out of XTPs (ordered but backordered). I have come to the conclusion that I have to use the winchester brass for my medium to light range session reloads. Anything hotter, I am just throwing away brass after one shot.
    I use and like my 45 acp brass, reload it many times, way better than S&B brass.

Top Bottom